Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Is there a crossbow any one could recommend for a woman that is not too heavy and might help with an issue of loss of grip strength? I have never used one, but want to learn, but not having luck in my search.Maybe there is nothing out there. I had hand surgery on dominant hand. That and age makes gripping something small (to pull it back) a bit difficult. Any suggestions appreciated.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

I use a 150 lb cross bow.I cant pull it back at all on its own due to shoulder and back problems. But I can pull it back with the help of this and it cuts the pull by half. Hope this helps!!

src=”http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDIxWDUwMA==/z/V04AAOxyLiJR32Hk/$T2eC16h,!ygE9s7HLd7bBR32HjLy6w~~60_12.JPG” alt=”cocking rope” />cocking rope

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

A big thank you Gypsy Wanderer! That would make it much easier for me. Appreciate very much your taking time to help.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Your very welcome they are called a cross bow cocking rope. I did forget to add that sorry. and it does take a lot of the strain away even my weak 16 year old can now cock the crossbow.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of lci115lewis
    lci115lewis
    Survivalist
    member3

In the middle ages they also had spanning hooks that attached to the belt, you had a foot stirrup on the front of the bow, to cock you would bend over, hook the string and straighten up, pulling with both your hands and legs, allows you to cock a much heavier bow. For the truely heavy crossbows they used windlasses to get them . Problem with crossbows heavy enough to need that kind of mechanical advantage to span is they are much slower to load. You could also look about getting a goats foot lever for a commercially made crossbow, or look for the old Popular Mechanics plans for a slide action crossbow with a 5 round magazine.

Rob

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Thanks Rob! Amazing what people know and can share.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tweva,
    Look at PSE TAC crossbows they use a crank to cock the bow. There are other bows wirh built in cocking devices as well.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

I recently bought an old Barnett Wildcat crossbow at a (British) car boot sale, in perfect working order. it has a 100 lb draw on it which means I can cock it by hand without having to use a cocking rope but it still has quite a “punch” when i fire it, it cost me the princely sum of 20 English pounds!!

British Survivalist.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I recommend using the cocking rope or crank. Reaching down a then cocking by hand gives it a
    “right” or “left” drift. Tension is not equal on both sides.

Robin

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Thanks Robin and 1974t150v. Appreciate the info. Have been putting aside funds for this purchase/studying matter.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tweva, go to a good archery shop and tell them what you want. They can show you examples. Utube has loads of video on about everything now days so you find out how things work or don’t.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.