Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of drunkmonkey
    drunkmonkey
    Survivalist
    rprepper

After a grid-down event, you don’t have to drink from a pool that your fat neighbor was bathing in the night before or a muddy creek where the cow pasture run-off contaminated it. I’ve got the high speed low drag solution for everybody.

Every home that is not on city water usually has a drilled fresh water well in their backyard. It is a narrow pipe casing that that can extend from 30 – 100 + feet down into the earth. The problem is how to transport water up from down in the well without a pump? I drink water like a freaking camel, so fresh water is crucial for me. Keep it simple stupid (KISS) I always approach problems with this philosophy. What’s the solution?

I am talking about a low tech well bucket which you can make at home for $40. I just made one for myself and my neighbor too (if he is Ebola ridden I don’t want him touching my well bucket). The well bucket is a basic 4 ft. 2-3” diameter PVC schedule 40 pipe with a cap on the bottom and a brass swing check valve drilled through the cap to allow water to fill from the bottom of the pipe. The top of the pipe has a Stainless Steel bolt run through were you tie off a rope. I have a YouTube video link of instructions on how to make the well bucket below which was put out by Hydromissions International.

For thousands of years man has used a bucket and a rope to haul up fresh water from a well. This is defiantly the way to go in my opinion. When accessing a modern drilled well, you will have to disconnect the plumbing and electrical lines, remove the well cap cover and carefully haul out the existing submersible well pump in order to make room for the well bucket.

The well bucket is extremely durable made out of sch. 40 PVC and if you are on the move you can make a shorter version for easier transport. You can quietly access any zombie suburbanite’s back yard well and jack his fresh water in the middle of night when he is huddled next to his family sitting scared in the dark.
    I hope this information helps save you from getting the Hershey squirts and possibly save your life. Also make sure to build your neighbor one too, so he does not have to use your well bucket. Please share this info with other like minded individuals. United we Stand, Divided we Die!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Great idea, thank you for the info on how to build one.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Good topic. Most folks with wells forget that no electricity means no water coming up from the well. Having a means to access that water manually is a must. Here is a commercially available well bucket that you can get at Lehman’s.

https://www.lehmans.com/p-1384-lehmans-own-galvanized-well-bucket.aspx?show=all

I had this hand pump installed on my well.

http://www.simplepump.com/OUR-PUMPS/Hand-Operated.html

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks DrunkenMonkey,
    This is a good emergency power out device. It could keep a large group alive as long as it’s needed.

Profile photo of Still Waters
    Still Waters
    Medic
    member2

In a pinch this would definitely save your life by giving you access to fresh water, but I’m with MB on this one. If you really believe in Keep It Simple Stupid and have a well already, put a backup hand pump on it.

Personally, I’d prefer a hand pump which could be sprayed down with bleach than having my ebola infected neighbor handling his own well bucket and sticking it down into my clean water supply.

auribus teneo lupum

Profile photo of drunkmonkey
    drunkmonkey
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I totally agree with having a hand pump too! But I don’t have much money right now and a good bison hand pump starts at $500 so a water bucket is good low tech alternative. Living in the burbs on a 1/2 acre I also considered a bright shinny well pump sitting in my backyard may attract unwanted attention to my property. I try and keep the appearance of my property as low profile as possible. I will still attach a hand pump when I get the funds together and stealth-fully hide it in plain sight. Any how the well bucket is cheap, effective and mobile. It is a good backup to your backup hand pump plus you can make a couple for your neighbors so there is no need from them to even come onto your property.
    Thank you for all of the helpful comments.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Low profile in the burbs is good. My shiny hand pump is pretty visible in my side yard for all to see but at this point its been there long enough that I doubt anyone even notices anymore. Now that I have the new greenhouse nearby it “fits” better as the two in reasonable proximity to each other make for more of a visual match.

Well buckets really are a good thing to set aside, and having a couple extra for neighbors is even better.

Profile photo of Still Waters
    Still Waters
    Medic
    member2

Agreed, any prep is better than no prep. I guess I’m so spoiled by the amount of easily accessible water where I’m at that I can’t imagine being forced to raid other people’s wells for it.

Something to consider, the people who built our house drilled the well about 10 feet from the house, dug it out to basement level and built a block foundation around it up to the house’s foundation. It has a concrete cap on it which serves as a patio.

Essentially we have a well room off the basement which we access from inside the house, and anyone on the property would be stumped trying to find it. If it needs to be serviced, there’s a small block of the concrete which is removable if you know where it’s at.

I know we wouldn’t be able to afford to do that now, but for anyone in the process of well design and placement, I’d highly recommend considering this setup.

auribus teneo lupum

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

My well is only 10 feet deep so I am not sure if it is a good buy for me. The casing is 2″ diameter.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Free, use a hand pump. Way less energy expended to get the water out. Actually I would use a 12v pump and solar first with your situation.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I purchased the Simmons pitcher pump http://www.amazon.com/Simmons-1160-PM500-No-2-Pitcher/dp/B000DZKVEW but I have not installed it. What do you think?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom, Good purchase.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

OK great now I need to install it this week!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom, How’s the water in your well, did you have it tested?

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

No I have not tested it. What is the best way to test it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.