Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Inspired by other threads, let’s see how many unusual ways to make fire we can think of…

1. Potassium permanganate and glycerine. Very energetic reaction. Works all the time in all weather.
    2. Fire piston and tinder fungus. Tinder fungus is is also known as “Chaga”. It’s real name is Inonotus obliquus, and it grows on live birch trees, usually as a black lump.
    3. Thermite. Iron oxide (rust) and aluminum particles. Very energetic reaction. If you can’t get a fire lit with this stuff, face it – you’re hopeless and your life should serve as warning to others.
    4.. 9V battery and an SOS pad.

Anyone else?

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of eldarbeast
    eldarbeast
    member1

Cotton balls impregnated with petroleum jelly and lit with:
    A Bic lighter,
    magnifying glass/eyeglasses/flattened clear bottle of water on a sunny day,
    a bow drill…

eldar

Bestaie sumus, ut non beastiae simus

O.o ~ I drank what...? Socrates

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Found this interesting gadget today.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Hand sanitizer and a spark

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

What you can do with a small 9v battery make a 12V car batter look like a flame thrower.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

cutting Lithium battery strip/cut open put in water in can then wait for flame as hydrogen burns ..highly reactive

Mix a small amount of sodium chlorate( pulp mills have for bleaching paper) and sugar. Initiate the reaction by adding a few drops of sulfuric acid.( battery acid)

if you can get chlorine gas and steel wool…all you need is light… if in a dark wont work.(explosive if confined)

white phosphorus will auto ignite at 34 c ( find in munitions for smoke production (tanks)

if you run into an sr 71 blackbird the fuel auto ignites if over -20c (Triethylborane)

pure 120 mesh red phosphorus will ignite in strong sun light if laid out

there are other more exotic ways but those should only be done by skilled chemist

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Wow looks like it almost melted the glass.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Aw come on! Nobody has mentioned the pop can/chocolate trick yet? The Mini-Mag Lite trick? The Ice Lens?

Good stuff so far… there’s got to be other, way more creative ways to light a fire…

Saw whats-his-name.. Les Stroud. He lit a fire using sock lint and a dead Bic lighter once.. :)

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4

Frensel lens off the front of a projection screen tv – check out the youtub* vids that show guys flash boiling water, melting glass, assorted metal etc with the big ones!

Profile photo of feral hobbit
    feral hobbit
    Survivalist
    member2

I’m familiar with a lot of the methods mentioned. But what is the pop can/chocolate trick?

...it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts...

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Hobbit you take a little sand and chocolate and polish the bottom of the soda can. It acts like a parabolic mirror when tinder is held in front of it for a while.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I improvised a bow drill set up with cordless drill and a wooden dowl one time……..ok I didn’t improvise, I lost my temper and was determined that damn fire was gonna start by golly. :)

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

You could go all crazy and go with the road flare approach, BLO on a wadded up towel, or even using a set of jumper cables to get an arc and start a tinder bundle……

Personally, I use flint and steel about 90% of the time and an H60 firesteel the rest of the time. Only thing I use a lighter for is my pipe….. Gotta keep the lighter in good working condition for that alone because dropping an ember on your tobacco makes it taste funny.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of Insuranceguynate
    Insuranceguynate
    Survivalist
    member1

How about shaving Fatwood/ Pitchwood from a rotten tree stump and lighting it it with s ferro rod, That used to be my favorite way to build a fire before I got lazy, now it’s cigarette lighters and letting the kids get the fire going.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Insuranceguynate wrote:</div>How about shaving Fatwood/ Pitchwood from a rotten tree stump and lighting it it with s ferro rod, That used to be my favorite way to build a fire before I got lazy, now it’s cigarette lighters and letting the kids get the fire going.

I wouldn’t consider fatwood, cat tail, inner tree bark, dried moss or dried fungus as unusual. That is the norm for me.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.