Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Can ants count? It seems so! When a scout ant finds an item of food too big to carry, but especially good, the scout will return to the nest to get help. Scientists have discovered that ants apparently size up the task ahead so that they can return with just sufficient help. One scientist cut a dead grasshopper into three pieces. The second piece was twice as big as the first, and the third was twice as big the second. He then left the pieces in different locations where ants could find them. He watched as each was discovered by a scout, inspected, and each scout returned to the nest for help. When the scout returned with help, the scientist counted the number of ants working at each piece of grasshopper. The smallest piece had 28 ants and the piece that was twice its size had 44 ants working on it, almost twice as many as the smallest piece. And how many ants do you think were working on the piece that was twice the size of the second? If you doubled that 44 to 88 you would be within one of being right–yes, there were 89 ants working to return the biggest piece to the nest!

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of ronym
    ronym
    Survivalist
    member5

hmmm… very clever
    not only capable of counting
    maybe ant can predict the size of an object
    or even the weight of an object
    so he can order the right number of other ant
    oh by the way
    how can other ant know that he is in the team
    is it ant can count its friend ?
    the next question is coordinating lot of ant to lift an object
    deciding which path to go
    signal or “languages” used by ant ?

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

So many things evolution cannot account for… ;)

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

lol thank god they are not like us and government workers or there would be another 88 supervisors and 166 government representatives.

the trail they follow has to do with a pheromone trail left by the scout… interesting way s to divert them ( leaf cutter ants) when i lived down south, have even seen one ant carried by others while on top of piece of leaf with mandibles still puncturing leaf. They would leave the ginger plant alone, the antiseptic properties would kill the fungal gardens they used the leafs to feed.

When two colonies met at a food source that was all out resource war..even the dog was scared of the ants.

would strip the garden in a few days if left unmolested. about 2 acres.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Leafcutter and army ants in central america….

These guys, when they find some good eats, literally build something like an interstate highway… multiple lanes going one way, multiple lanes going the other way. They will strip an entire tree in less than a day. It’s pretty cool to watch… swarms of ants going one way, swarms of ants carrying loot going the other way carrying chunks of leaves…

Army ants don’t send a scout. They send a leaderless mob. You can tell something is up when they’re hunting because things start leaving – going the other way – as fast as possible. The locals don’t mind the ants, because they will enter a house and clean it of every bug, then leave… but if the ants target something you care about – a family pet or a small baby in a crib – then there’s a problem. These guys are relentless, and there’s millions of them in a group… their hunting parties are called “raids”, which is appropriate…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of ronym
    ronym
    Survivalist
    member5

another “marvelous” thing about ant
    is they can lift an object that far greater then their own weight
    it’s defy any logic
    because it’s like an elephant lift 1.000 kg of weight
    or more depend on his weight
    we already know the answer…
    elephant cannot do that… ever
    or it can be…
    if we place an anti gravity device in the bottom of the object
    maybe 100 year from now

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.