Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

It is soon crab apple time. Every darn year people look at me like I am crazy when I mention I am harvesting crab apples. There are lots of these trees around (there are over 700 or so different varieties), many still growing even in urban areas – forgotten about. You might want to look in to and practice using them – pretty abundant food source.
    You can also make your own pectin from them, which you can use in a liquid form, instead of store bought pectin to add to other recipes.

The nice thing about crab apples is they don’t seem to have even 1/2 the problems that my apple trees do and produce a much greater quantity of fruit. I don’t, like many, eat them raw (some people can get an upset stomach from eating them raw) – but processed? Entirely different matter.

You can make all sorts of great stuff with them – and the slightly tart taste will have people wondering what that great thing/taste is too. Last year I made this sorbet - big hit

Of course you can make sauce, pies, bread, pickle them, make juice, crab apple butter and jelly (great stuff) with them too. Here’s a link I just printed out on making muffins and granola bars.

Image by http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Have a crabapple tree in the front yard.
    Last year made some nice jelly.
    This year, the deer have wiped me out, there may be 20 left on the tree.

Thanks for the links, ideas for next year, maybe.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I had a crabapple at my old house, and thought about trying to use them but never did. It bore abundantly every year and so would be a reliable source. Maybe I should find a spot for one next year.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

In AZ . Date palms do well here and produce a lot of fruit .

Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4

If you juice them with an electric juicer and then let the juice settle overnight in the fridge you can pour it off and retain the deposit of starch in the bottom of the jug. This can even be ‘washed’ with water (mixed up with clean water and left to settle) until almost perfectly clean and then used for anything you might want starch powder for.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.