Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

While I may have shut down the shop, idle hands…….

So when a friend wanted some rifles for his family, well you guessed it.

So a pair of AR10’s for hunting, and another 11 AR15’s for the kids. Probably gonna end up an even dozen.
    Each will be customized for each kid, simple but subtle changes from gun to gun.
    Plus, not only are they going to be .223, but a .22 conversion unit fitted and a spare upper assembly (eventually) which is probably going to be 6.8SPC.
    This way the guns can be used for everything, small game, big game (deer, small elk, etc) defense, and never really fall into the ‘not-useful’ category.

But first the “test models”, to check fit and options.

The 10 is built on the Aero Precision M5E1 chassis, the enhanced upper has the rail mount integral with the upper, a major benefit for ease of barrel replacement and simplicity.
    So far it’s been a surprising build, with some of the highest quality components available. The polished nickel boron BCG is better than I had expected, we shall see if the quality continues through test fire and tuning.

The 15, started out as a PSA ” Freedom” M4 upper, with the gas block replaced with a low profile model. The handguard assembly, as well as the barrel nut went away, replaced by a free float handguard. A PSA bolt carrier group finished the upper.
    Below, my old Essential lower with PSA enhanced FCG, early Vietnam era SP1 stock and receiver extension, and a MagPul MOE grip.
    The proper lower is missing two parts to be completed and tested, hence mine being used.

Both guns are going to wear Nikon glass until the owner decides to upgrade.
    The 15 wears a holo sight, just until I get new mounts for the scope.

Here’s a pic to tease everyone.

More to follow as the builds progress.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Whirlibird Whirlibird.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Whirlibird Whirlibird.
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

What do you think of the JP ENterprises silent captured system ? Yes no maybe, not worth the trouble. I think it would be a definite improvement to any AR.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Great system, worth the money? Yes and no.

$150?
    I charge $200 for a tune and polish when I’m building a rifle, which includes getting rid of much of that “cheese grater” sound and feel. Both in the rear of the system, but including the bolt, carrier and the charging handle.

Part of the issue that the captured system corrects is the roughness on the buffer spring and the interior of the receiver extension. Giving a high polish to these parts, then re-anodizing the extension, and charging handle. (The anodizing costs more)

Starting or going with a nickle boron carrier, preferably with a high polish can help with part of this also.

After all that, the system does what it advertises, the guide rod keeps the spring from rubbing, the buffers keep slap from happening, etc.

Is it worth the money?
    Depends mostly on how much the noise and feel bother you.
    For now, I’m going to stick with the standard, proven system, without heavy buffers, or magic fairy dust.
    Partly because my guns don’t have that “crunch” because of what I do as I build them, or while tuning afterwards.

However I may look into one of the new models later for testing, we shall see. The Gen 1’s were good, just heavier.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Whirlibird Whirlibird.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Gun pictures are always fun. We should have a thread just for that purpose. Knives as well.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Nice, Whiri….. Very nice…….

I love building and messing with rifles. Just finished out my barreled Mosin actions myself and now have migrated back to BP for a while.

So you shut down your gunsmithing shop?

http://ageofdecadence.com

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Nice, Whiri….. Very nice…….

I love building and messing with rifles. Just finished out my barreled Mosin actions myself and now have migrated back to BP for a while.

So you shut down your gunsmithing shop?

Yah, the economy turned enough here that I was paying out of pocket to keep the doors open, way too long.
    With no end in sight, it just made sense. Still working on stuff, just no major work like barrels or such.
    Plus a friend who owns another shop just started doing Ceracoat and offered me pricing that I can’t compete with, nor do I want to, let him sniff the fumes.

Still doing training, and hand work.
    Now it’s just for fun and a little side cash to pay for toys occasionally.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

My new DMR: .308 Ruger piston operated. 4x20x50 Burris Veracity mildot. Luth-AR stock.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.