Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

My libertarian leanings and live & let live approach to life says folks should be able to marry who they choose. Having spent my life in MA & now VT where gays have lived openly for many years, its just not a big deal to me, nor to most folks up here. Gay friends and co-workers have married and they live pretty much the same as everyone else. All that said, religious freedom is a foundational right that should not be allowed to be diminished. Those who disagree with gay marriage must be allowed to disagree and practice their religion in accordance with its tenets. This is not any different than Quakers being allowed to be pacifists and not fight wars or various accommodations allowed the Amish and Mennonites. This is not any different than those who wish to display the Confederate flag absolutely must have the right to honor their history and culture. Agreeing to disagree along with a little respect and accommodation on all sides would go a long way. There is no way that a country of 300+ million people are all going to be of one mind or culture. If the current gang in control insists that we all be of one mind, then I expect we will start going down the secession road.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

The sooner the better .

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Here is an interesting story depicting one scenario for the breakup of the US and an ensuing Civil War. It is followed by a series of letters from people giving their own take on how it might play out. Almost every one of them has Texas or California coming out on top. There are a few other contenders but none with the ultimate advantages that CA and TX have. I shuddered at the thought of my State coming under NY’s control.

http://www.quora.com/If-every-state-of-the-USA-declared-war-against-each-other-which-would-win

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB, I read this article and while I share your revolsion at the thought of NY controlling the Northeast, I simply don’t see that happening. Rural areas will not be dictated to or controlled by urbanites after shtf.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

MB, I read this article and while I share your revolsion at the thought of NY controlling the Northeast, I simply don’t see that happening. Rural areas will not be dictated to or controlled by urbanites after shtf.

Yesterday perhaps.
    Today, I am not so sure.

Having watched the Denver water board completely screw over the CO eastern plains, and nothing happened, I am hesitant to agree.

The independent people of yesterday are just that, history.
    The age of the wimp, some 25 years back has brought us here.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

The article gives the advantage to States with high populations, the extent of military installations in the State, seaports, energy resources, and food growing capabilities. That makes sense to a degree but it is far more complex than that given the inter-dependencies between States and as 74 points out, rural areas have very different interests and cultures than do urban areas. Cooperation on the part of rural areas is anything but assured, and that’s where the food comes from, and for many of the major cities, it is where their water comes from too. The urban areas need the cooperation of the rural areas far more than the rural areas need anything from the urban areas.

I wonder if the Feds or the Military has ever done a real analysis of what a break up might look like. The perfunctory analyses and conjecture such as in the article and the ensuing comments do not peel away enough layers to constitute a real analysis.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

74, I read Colin Woodward’s book which is where the map comes from. He explains the cultural differences as originating in the manner in which each region was initially developed. It is an interesting read. At the time it helped me understand some of the profound cultural differences at a regional level. It is interesting in how (except for a portion of New Brunswick) he includes the Canadian Maritimes as part of Yankeedom. I find myself absolutely at home there whereas I don’t in certain parts of the US.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Being in NY, I can tell you that there are most definitely areas of the state where resistance would crop up immediately. Especially amongst law enforcement. Many of them are refusing to enforce the SAFE Act on a quiet basis.

That’s what its like here… very quiet. But look at the % of people who didn’t register their guns. Resistance is here for sure, it’s just laying low. I believe that if the state made any truly aggressive move, it would explode into open warfare very quickly.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.