Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

http://madworldnews.com/forest-ranger-hidden-cabin-woods/

better yet could you ninja it back out like this person?

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Mick Dodge was there. Lol

Great story.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

That is awesome…… I have actually thought about doing that exact thing.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

In Kali they catch one and probably could find 5 more within 3 miles. He had help. There be shadows in those woods… Spooky.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Can I?
    Been there, done that.
    Okay a different location, but yes.

Depends heavily on where you are as to the strength and style of construction.
    Around here, it would be a 6 month structure at best, between the wind and snow the rest of the time.
    An underground house with just the entrance and roof exposed makes more sense, here.

Think Navajo ‘hogan’ or Anasazi kiva dug well in and you have a mental picture of what would work and stay fairly well hidden and weatherproof.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I suggested to my dear wife lol… We buy the airstream and build a metal Quonset hut structure earth covered over it. In the right location it would be virtually invisible from the air and a winding driveway could be camouflaged to hide it from the road. A lot of square footage inside to conceal vehicles and equipment. It really depends if you could make it into a living space. Considering the way malls and homes for nouveau rich celebrities are produced today I think it’s quite possible. Deceptively simple in fact. Less than the cost of the airstream.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Namelus, I think most of us here could build a small minimalist dwelling, at least camouflaged in native materials, in a location that made concealment relatively easy. The hardest part would always be the ninja business — keeping the necessary activity, including stealth-provisioning, from being observed, especially in leaving no trace of passage. The very purpose of “Public Land” has become to keep it away from the public. After TSHTF, the feddies may not be able to afford the personnel to watch large stretches of land, just to keep people from surviving there, but concealment might be even more vital then.

Cry, "Treason!"

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

the ninja part is by far the most interesting part for me.the planing not like you just randomly walk to new local for hut and you are moving some heavy items (wood stove) there are huts/shelters like that in back country a day+ from where i reside. never saw anyone in them or around them just the huts some below ground as whirl has talked about.

there are not marks in fresh snow with a warm hearth they do accept items left such as food and some cooking camping gear and have returned electronic things ipod, usb stick cell phone. they put them on the seat of atv while we where hiking/fishing a quiet neighbor.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

A person of American Indian descent in a prior forum in which I participated, stated that she was personally aware of a number of such people living in the mountains in Montana, if I remember correctly (could have been Wyoming, but it was in that area at least). She said many were US military vets that just wanted to be left alone. Public lands – more power to ‘em. This nation let them be broken, then wouldn’t/couldn’t take proper care of them, and just sloughed them off like old scabs. Let them be.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Brulen,

I like the idea, but how would one get from pristine wilderness to finished project without being well known, given the earth moving, moving the Quonsut hut materials into place and building it, etc.? And BB (Big Brother) is always watching from the sky these days. Like I said – going from pristine (from the vertical view as well as the ground level horizontal view), back TO a pristine view again, would have a number of “interim” views that would be pretty obvious. That’d be my concern for that large a project.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Actually , I find it disturbing , yes on one hand we all think its a cool idea , but on the other hand the reality of it is more than a little troubling . We are complaining about how ” bad ” things are , but nothing serious has actually gone down in the country to force anybody to live that way . What is disturbing is the fact that whoever built this was not some homeless bum , making due with a strip of plastic and cardboard , this was a semi permanent home , built for a purpose . The fact that no trace was left of movement , the speed at which it was dismantled , and leaving a hobo glyph , very neatly , and clearly placed on the ground , should bother all of us . Why ? like mentioned above , this was not the work of one person , this person has had to have had training to be able to accomplish this without detection or trace , they left a glyph to let whoever else that knew about the place know what was going on ……………that should have been destroyed immediately . They are doing this in ‘ peace time ‘ , no reason to do this , unless you are a drug runner/grower , you are running from the law , have or plan to commit a crime , etc . We are not talking teenagers making a ‘ fort ‘ in the woods or a casual camper . Again , this was done with purpose , by more than one person , with specialized training , my suspicious nature , and complete lack of faith in humanity , leads me to believe this was done by somebody with ill intent and motives . I dont believe for one moment it was a group of guys , simply dropping out of society . This should be disturbing to us , because there are a lot more of this ilk out there , already set up for whatever , and they are probably NOT going to be our friends in troubled times . The authorities were VERY remiss at not setting up some kind of surveillance after the first stage of removal occurred , even deer cameras set up high in the trees would have been better than nothing .

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

They are doing this in ‘ peace time ‘ , no reason to do this , unless you are a drug runner/grower , you are running from the law , have or plan to commit a crime , etc .

Pure and total speculation, originating (as you said) from your “suspicious nature, and complete lack of faith in humanity.” As mentioned in the previous post, there are those that just simply want to be left alone. Some are entirely disgruntled with society, and some could even become situationally dangerous if provoked (i.e. simply not left alone to live as they choose, largely apart from society). Some were born with the likelihood of such a world view, others were broken by the society they now wish to abandon. But by itself, that doesn’t make them all dangerous at the level you suppose.

The book Public Secrets on his shelf could possibly support your theory – if there were other similar items there. But it’s much more likely that the person focused on the “dropping out” aspect of Knabb’s book, given the lack of truly revolutionary or militaristic additional reading material. Catch Me If You Can is another clue that this is a very non-mainstream individual that doesn’t want to just “fit in” to general society, and possibly one who might have little conscience — but evidence of drug running/growing, plans to commit some significant crime against society, etc., simply isn’t there.

The fact is, there are people that simply don’t “fit in,” who want to be left alone, who are capable of being a nuisance, but are largely harmless if left alone. Your “suspicious nature, and complete lack of faith in humanity” no more make the world as you see it, than is my world view the definitive answer to how things are. I see zero evidence of any crime, except the technical crime of squatting on “public” (i.e. government owned and controlled) land. I neither celebrate nor condemn the guy. Could you be right? Of course. But that does not make it so, and the evidence to support the theory is simply not there.

GS

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Tolik,

The original article tossed around words like “creepy” pretty freely. I don’t find it “creepy” at all. I find it extremely interesting. And whatever it is they’re up to? Not my business. If they just want to be left alone, then more power to them. The .gov uses terms like “public lands”, but in reality what they mean is “No, it ain’t yours”. If dude was living off-grid on “public lands”? Fine. If that term really means what it supposed to, then I give him my permission to use my “share” of “public lands” – being as I’m part of the “public”.

Dude has skills. Serious skills. Skills that I haven’t had at 100% for many years – that being things like moving through an area and leaving no trace. Camouflage. Woodcraft (no, not building cabinets and benches and such, but the real meaning: he’s a woodsman and his skills are top notch). He’s also a serious student of human nature, since you cannot pull all that off without knowing something about how humans think, act, react, etc. He’s trying to be (and succeeding at) being invisible – you can’t do that without knowing a little something about how the people you’re hiding from think and act…

He’s also clever. He left a hobo glyph. Why? Could be he’s thumbing his nose at the f*ckin’ Tree Cops and .gov in general. Could be classic misdirection – he left it there because that’s what he wants the Tree Cops to think. That he’s a hobo. A nobody. In fact, you kinda fell for it given your remarks.

But, anyone can find hobo glyphs. Watch this – I’ve never seen a hobo glyph in my life, but I betcha I can find a database on them in less than 30 seconds…

Here. Took me 10 seconds.

http://www.worldpath.net/~minstrel/hobosign.htm

Speaking of which, when SHTF, it might pay dividends to be able to navigate the backways and lesser-traveled byways of America that are traveled by these folks. It’s old hat to them, but will be new and scary to us uninitiated… if they can get away with not being seen, then anyone can.

Don’t think of this as some creep moping around in the weeds – look at it as that dude has a very specific – and useful – set of skills. Skills that might just save your backside one day, if you can master them… learn from it.

Print these out, acetate them and keep them for “just in case”…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

LOL , true Hobo’s are becoming an extinct breed , for several reasons . High security , other things as well . The railroad system has changed in a direction not in their favor , becoming too dangerous for somebody hopping a free ride to another place with work . You look at the glyph list , some things go back to the 1930’s era way of life , that no longer exists today . I still dont believe that the group of people simply want to be left alone . Thats neither here , nor there , its just my opinion .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Couple of customers a few years back wanted some basic firearms skills. We ended up having a number of learning experiences for all.
    Well educated, successful, just tired.
    We spoke at length on laws, bending and breaking the same, and more.

Not criminal, not hippy, nothing more than a couple dropping out.

Literally sold everything that wasn’t absolutely necessary when they were ready to vanish.

Their only concessions to modern life, they bought the land, kept a PO box, and a solar charged burner phone.

They came to town once a month, paid their bills once a year and we’re harmless.

After about a year, I got an invite to see their place. As we approached I kept my eyes well skinned, and am a fair tracker to be modest.
    So when I say that I literally stuck a leg into one of their “doors”, without seeing it says something.

They had dug a series of interconnected “kivas” and replanted all the native grasses and plants on top.
    The stone and concrete work was exemplary, right down to the plastic cistern, and yes plumbing.

She didn’t mind going native as long as certain amenities were available. Bath and shower if you can imagine.

Talking with certain people in the area, I found out that the local deer herd was in prime condition, unlike other local areas.
    For example, there were no dry does to be found. And only prime bucks, well versed in hiding and avoiding humans.

For the longest time, all my “friend” had as his ‘meat gun’ was a .22Mag. Partially my fault, I had told of another off-the-grid gent I knew who used a .25-20 on everything.
    Before we moved, he picked up a couple extra toys, mostly defense oriented.

They even had power, in a limited quantity, thanks to a water pump that fed a stock pond. By changing to a more efficient pump, the draw from the “house” didn’t show up on the bill.

You don’t have to be a ninja, just careful.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.