Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I have set aside a lot of salt. Cheap and won’t go bad. I’m one of those folks that adds salt to everything except sweets, plus it’ll come in handy for curing meats. And before anyone tells me salt is bad for you, I also eat several eggs a day and plenty of high fat stuff (bacon, beef, hot dogs, mayo, a couple pounds of medium & high fat cheese per week, and so forth) and only use real butter (salted of course) to fry things, but I try to go low on non-fruit/non-veggie carbs. My cholesterol is about 150 and my blood pressure 120 something over 70. This summer I had an EKG and stress test and was told I had the heart of a 40 year old. I take no medications whatsoever for anything which isn’t too shabby for someone 61. I’m going to a BJ’s tomorrow. Think I’ll buy more salt.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

I am about 265 pounds right now. Easily 65 pounds over weight, but when i went on my first bug out practice. i lost 10 pounds in a week on 1700 cal ration per day, digging a garden by hand is tough ass work. Want to put on another 20 pounds, but i am more or less at my safe limit.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

Do not get me started on the uselessness of a college degree. College cost me the job I had and has never helped me to get a job. In fact it has hindered my ability to get a job and promotions a few times and has saddled me with $45,000 in debt I will never be able to pay back unless I either win the lottery or have a long lost rich relative die and leave me a pile of money.

A little advice for anyone who simply cannot get along without wasting time in school. Do not get a GPA above a C no matter how easy the course work is. A 4.0 GPA will pigeon hole you for life and no one will hire you. Remember, the guy interviewing you probably passed with a B at best and if he thinks you are smarter than him you will not get the job or the promotion.

I have literally had interviews end when they found out my GPA was a 4.0. I was told I was too smart for the job. Now I lie about my GPA and act like a moron if I want the job. That is far more successful than showing that I am actually qualified for the job.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Wow…. I am amazed by this hate for college and education. I personally worked my hind quarters off to get a bachelor’s while on Active Duty in the military. I then used my benefits to go get 2 master’s degrees. I find the following when it comes to college:

1) A bacheor’s degree is designed to teach you how to complete tasks, no matter how mundane. It also demonstrates to perspective employers that you can complete any number of tasks set forth for you.
    2) A master’s degree is designed to teach you why these tasks are completed.
    3) A doctorate is designed to teach you new ways to complete the tasks.

No matter what, I find that those that did not take school seriously or those that did not have the aptitude for college always try to put those down that did well in college. I feel that it is a jealousy thing.

No matter why there is this distaste for higher education, being able to learn things independently has been a very valuable asset. Unlike many people that are supposedly “self taught,” I don’t need someone to show me how to do something. I can actually read a book…..

As for the video, I have always been surprised as to how well our education systems ignore history or rewrite it. It truly is scary how many people have no idea as to how we ended up in SW Asia to begin with, the origins of our 2 party system, or why the Middle East hates us so much…… Just a couple of examples. At least this video is animated. This will draw a bigger audience, but without pop-ups? Hmmm. It does need a few large breasted female cartoons and man hating comments to increase its circulation more.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

No education is a waste , but at the same time , young people have their reasons for avoiding a debt for a lack of guarantee , especially when they see the illiterates in the drug game with cash to burn . They dont think of the dangers involved , they just see a 21 year old with all kinds of money , and the guy on the straight and narrow , flipping burgers , or their friends father with an engineering degree , taking anything he can get , because his company shipped more American jobs overseas , ……..I’m not saying I agree with some young people decision to coast for a while and wait and see . But at the same time , I cant argue with it either , they have youth on their side for awhile anyway…..just sayin .

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>sledjockey wrote:</div>I feel that it is a jealousy thing.

have to disagree on that, i feel no envy towards people who can afford an education. If i wanted to i could screw the system and get an education right now no problem. lots of people do. but time is short.

the issue is that everyone is doing it, and the debt on the other end.

not everyone gets to be a winner, even with a piece of paper you may as well burn.

i had to dumb my resume down to find a job at one point, no one would hire me when i had a resume that said, can sharpen knifes, delegate tasks, cook a rue… make so and such from scratch etc…

its a lot easier to infiltrate a group acting stupid than smart. and its taboo to mention it. but there you go.

lots of my friends found this out after college as well over qualified doesnt work as cheap as mr greene card or nose picking mouth breathing charlie. (ive had both for a supervisor)

that goes double in the kitchen, because we are surrounded by drop dead beautiful women in the high end places.

most malevolant back stabbing machiavelle environments on the planet.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

MountainBiker ,
    THe thing I miss the most , is only having to drive 15 min. to get to the ocean , and many times , having the beach all to yourself , and looking at the odd lobster trap , all tangled in rope that washed ashore . Ocean in front , forrest behind , water all around .

KOS ,
    If you were any kind of sailor , the Maine coast has hundreds of little islands dotting the coast . A little too isolated a life for me , but some folks do it . THey take the mail boat to the mainland to get supplies .

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Tolik, funny you should mention that. Ive got a great video im uploading tonight of our trip to the coast this last week. Will share when its up.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Tolik, I think the Maine coast is far better than any other coastline I have ever seen. The mix of rugged rocky places and soft sandy places is something most places just don’t have.

On the education thing, it can be had on the cheap as I described earlier, but in the end even an inexpensive degree in a useless discipline is going to leave you unemployed or underemployed. High School Guidance Counselors are not doing a very good job guiding kids these days.

The way I look at it is that education is the one thing nobody can ever take away from you, so grab it where and when you can. When my employer offered to pay for me to get an MBA right after I started working for them, I gladly said yes being I didn’t have the money to pay for it myself, but it did mean I gave up my nights for a couple years to take classes after work.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.