Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

If this is true that MERS has gone airborne we are in trouble.

http://offgridsurvival.com/pandemic-threat-scientists-think-mers-may-be-airborne/

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

If in addition to being airborne it also develops a high CAR (case acquisition rate) meaning it is highly infectious, things will get ugly. It is only a matter of time before a high CAR/CFR (case fatality rate) pandemic rolls along. They have happened throughout history but there hasn’t been one since the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, and even in that case the CFR was not extremely high. The problem in our highly connected high technology world is that even a 1918 level pandemic would bring society to a grinding halt until it burned itself out.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes MountainBiker we are more connected today. An pandemic of the 1918 would kile three to four times more people today.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I think everyone should have some of these, 3M 1860 N95 RESPIRATOR AND SURGICAL MASK/BIRD FLU, they come in box of 20. This is what they use in the hospitals. Also get some surgical gloves, maybe a box x large so everyone can use them.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-1860-RESPIRATOR-SURGICAL-MASK/dp/B000S395R8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1406136644&sr=8-4&keywords=surgical+masks

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Another aspect of this is thinking about what you would use as your “sick room” and who the designated caregiver would be for anyone sick in your group. At issue is trying to reduce the risk of infectious illnesses spreading to everyone in your group. I had taken a Red Cross class about pandemic flu a few years back and they recommended having disposable gowns, booties, etc. for the caregiver so as to help protect the caregiver and to prevent the caregiver from spreading infection throughout the house.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker, there is a post that we did on viruses and how to prepare. I will see if I can find the link.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.