Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

If you know how to make, you could sell these darn things easy

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Tweva, I love you!!! Gotta show the welders of my family now. I know my father would likely want to tackle this puppy!!

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Gypsy – I KNOW! I know about 100 people around here alone that saw this and want one, like now! Lucky you have welders in your family. But, I am determined to get one made somehow this spring.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I’m the manuel wood splitter. My Bruks splitting axe is good. I cut the logs into 20 inch rounds and stack them. In a year or two I cut them in half and split. They make large chunks and dry well. If I were trying to make an unpowered splitter it would probably be along the lines of a guillotine. it would probably freak out my neighbors. lol

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

If I had the materials and a welding set up (even an oxy-acetylene kit) I could whip one up no sweat. It might not look all that great, like most of the stuff I’ve welded, but it’ll hold lol. Thanks for sharing, really cool idea

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

Looks like a quick way to lose a few fingers! I would want to add some type of hand guard so there would be no possibility of cutting off my own hand or even fingers. Once that is done it would be a GREAT tool to have! Thanks for pointing this out Tweva.

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ghost, I’m in complete agreement. I can guarantee that not long down the road someone will cuttoff a thumb or finger. I’ve investigated to many amputations not to cringe watching this video.

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Welding would be easier, but one could be bolted together.

Cry, "Treason!"

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

With a drillpress, sharp titanium nitride bits and a cutoff saw this wouldn’t be difficult. Without the saw and drillpress you’re destined for misery.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

if you are so scared of holding wood use a tire to hold it while it gets chopped that is only time you can lose a part on thst… but considering you probably needed or used a chain saw to cut and fall the wood… i did this since i was 9 years old chain saw by 12…. god loved little kids lol… some of the coolest scars are form childhood…. this world is not child proof.. it teaches responsibility and cause and effect quite well. think for a small price of a finger you too can learn to pay attention and grow up.

if you cant imagine how you would use a tire

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Namelus,
    Unfortunately people make costly errors of judgment. I’m sure I investigated over 50 different complete amputations of a various numbers of digits as well as thousands of lacerations, contusions and all manner of sprains, strains and a few complete pass though abdominal penetration by foreign objects. Plus several deaths due to work related injury.

As a general rule, any risk taken better have a reward that far exceeds the potential damage you may suffer from the actions taken. Not one of those “accidents” had rewards for the injured.

Cutting a thumb off now is serious, cutting a thumb off after shtf could be a death sentence.

What is the reward for not using a hold down? Probably about 2 seconds of time for each stroke. Save 2 seconds or maybe lose a thumb, I vote for keeping 2 thumbs.

L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Another approach for those heating with wood — not universally suitable (is anything?) — would be to heat more efficiently, using less wood. Search: mass heating rocket stoves — here are a couple of references:

You probably can’t eliminate all splitting, but you might “cut it down to size.”

Cry, "Treason!"

L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Another approach for those heating with wood — not universally suitable (is anything?) — would be to heat more efficiently, using less wood. Search: mass heating rocket stoves — here are a couple of references:

http://projectavalon.net/Rocket_Mass_Heaters.pdf

You probably can’t eliminate all splitting, but you might “cut it down to size.”

Cry, "Treason!"

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Acknowledging the safety issue modifications that are needed, I really like that log splitter. It sure as heck would beat splitting wood manually. My left shoulder is past log splitting days and if I didn’t have a couple young strong bucks to do it for me post-SHTF, I’d need some level of mechanical aid. For now I buy my wood cut, split and delivered, but I stack it and lug it in all winter. I do try to keep a year ahead on the supply (meaning I’ll have two years worth of wood going into next winter). There would be enough to do the first year post-SHTF without having to gather up enough wood to get through the first winter.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB, if you have one made consider designing a foot pledal to bring the splitter down. A foot pedal allows the full use of your body weight. The current design us3s upper body strength to pull the splitter down and over come the return spring. It appears easy to use but I suspect a day on it as configured will be exhausting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.