Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Facebook sent me a email detailing how they will send ads my way. Not only do they track you on Facebook but they are able to track where you go when you are not on Facebook.
    I opted out but at the same time I went to this site and ran a check on my system. I had 91 cookies that tracked me. I was able to get rid of 85 of them.

http://www.aboutads.info/choices/

Robin

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thank you Robin for the link.

Profile photo of Vadim
    Vadim
    Survivalist
    member3

Robin wrote:</div>I had 91 cookies that tracked me. I was able to get rid of 85 of them.

Jay, I know, you run some online security course on “commercial” side of your School, but maybe, you could comment on this link above? Sounds like placebo to me (IMHO).

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

The problem is that once something becomes mainstream (for example not accepting cookies) companies work hard to circumvent it and track you in different ways.

If you want to stay relatively safe from tracking by ad networks you can use Chrome or Firefox, install “Adblock” and other plugins like “No Script” or simply turn cookies and javascript off in the browser settings.

This makes using the Internet a bit more annoying of course because stuff like forum logins wont be remembered. I personally couldn’t care less if ad networks track me or not. I never click on ads and have Adblock running so I rarely even see them.

After the NSA leaks we should all settle with the fuzzy feeling that if government agencies really want to get you, most likely they can.

The best you can do is getting a VPN from a provider that does not collect logs (or at least claims it does not) but in the past a lot of them installed some backdoors or kept logs anyway and handed them out whenever someone in power came knocking.

This also doesn’t worry me too much. Why? Because Im not doing anything bad that would justify that they look specifically at me. I might be in some sort of database because of the emails I send and receive and the prepper related content in there but so are millions of others.

To be truly safe on the Internet you either use your own chat servers and end to end encryption with emails and only contact users who have the same setup. Or get some space on the darknet and run things from there. But even TOR is infiltrated by the government to a certain extent. Anyway, this is what criminals do and I doubt its worth doing yet for any of us.

The other thing is, if you go to great lengths to hide what you do online and the government cracks down on a certain server / proxy or vpn network and you are part of it, they might take a closer look at you.

So the best advice right now is: If you look at anything “problematic” use the TOR browser, if you want to do anything that isnt according to the laws online simply don’t. Prepper and survival content isn’t a big deal. When it comes to the US it is probably much easier to simply look at gun ownership and credit card statements than to dig through IP logs.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.