Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Great article to read, please go down the web page to the article. Great info on sand bags and what caliber per foot of sand.

http://us7.campaign-archive2.com/?u=441fd4d877ad136376d62eab9&id=1f3025527d&e=dc8b60825e

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Freedom – all good info. I’ve loaded more sandbags than I care to admit and I had no idea that they were that effective. 7 inches of sand for a 5.56 round is pretty awesome. Place the bags side by side instead of end to end and you’ve got 7.62 protection.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I know! I read the info two times. Sand bags is the way to go.

Profile photo of higherview
    higherview
    Survivalist
    member2

As additional information, enough phone books will stop rounds from handguns and rifles at least up to 30-06. I do not know how many inches for each type, I’m sure sand would need fewer inches as it is more dense. But phone books or stacked newspapers could work if they were available and sand bags were not.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

higherview, I think black dirt would do it too but it is also not as dense so you would need to use more. The same goes for over types of dirt.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

higherview,

I don’t think phone books are a good idea. Please see the file below.

Test conducted by Major General Julian S. Hatcher on the standard old military 30-06 round, excerpted from The Book of the Garand.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    higherview
    Survivalist
    member2

Thanks 74. This is good information. I do not see phone books on the list so I looked up my own tests for phone books. These are tests for various hunting bullets to see how they perform using dry phone books as a test medium at 10 yards. Here are some of them.

The deepest penetration I have achieved is 16 inches of penetration using a 400 gr .416 cal Barnes TS-X bullets and a 405 gr .458 cal Cor-Bon Penetrator bullets (2400 vel. for .416, the .458 was 1649 fps).
    The next deepest is 15.5 inches using a .338 cal Barnes TS-X 225 gr bullet traveling 2745 fps.
    The next deepest penetration I have achieved is 15 inches using a .338 cal Speer Grand Slam 250 gr bullet traveling 2660 fps.
    The next deepest was a 350 gr. .458 cal. At 1997 fps for 14.25 inches of penetration.
    After this is .308 Barnes TS-X 150 gr and 130 TS-X gr at 3200 and 2900 fps respectively for 14 inches of penetration.
    Next was the .458 PMC Lead Flat Point 405 gr. bullet traveling 1166 fps. I achieved 12 inches of penetration.
    The next deepest was a .338 180 gr Nos Bal Tip bullet traveling 2906 fps. I achieved 11 inches of penetration – also the .338 TTS-X 210 gr bullet traveling 2800 fps and Horn .308 150 gr. Interbond at 3200 fps achieved 11 inches of penetration.
    The next deepest was a .308 TTS-X 168 gr bullet traveling 2910 fps. I achieved 10 inches of penetration.
    Most of these retained .99 to 100% or their original weight (exceptions are the Horn. Interbond and Nos Bal. Tip) and penetrated deeper than FMJ common with military bullets. These are some of the deepest penetrating loads I have tried. No military load in .556, 6.8 or .762 cal have penetrated deeper than 10 inches.
    Perhaps this information might be useful for someone.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

From a practical stand point where can you find that enough phone books to make walls and how do you keep them stacked?

higherview
    Survivalist
    member2

You can get news papers and phone books from the recycling center. Also some newspapers will give you the old unsold papers too. I have heard of folks stacking them in front of walls below windows, etc. to create a movable barrier. Sand bags might be easier to move in / out, stack etc. but this is an option especially for more urban folks.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Great stats 74, just store 100 sand bags in your garage.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    I will probably need 500 to make a difference in my cardboard box. I’m looking at different layouts trying to determine the best solution between economy, and protection.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Maybe you are right and I have to up the amount I have.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.