Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MR Ts Haircut
    MR Ts Haircut
    Survivalist
    member1

Selco, I think you stated before that you lived in an Apartment building for a time during the siege? I was wondering how people would go about trying to defend an multi-floor Condo with patios facing the Gulf with a Marina directly behind the Condo. 2 stairwells on opposing sides of the bldg. and a central lobby with elevator access to each floor. Units accessed from a single door per unit out side on a walk way. No interior common halls just individual floors having access from stairs and elevators to the external walkway.

thoughts?

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Is it about some organizing defense from you and other people that living there or you are talking about you only?
    In my case it was big family house with people (family) that came from other places in that house when SHTF.
    Depends, If we are talking about some organized defense it can be done easily in cases of civil unrest, heavy rioting with looting and everything else, but if we are talking about real widespread violence that continues for longer period then I would pay much more attention about making it to look looted, destroyed (from outside), blocked inside etc.
    If you are talking about you only, then you need to have alternative ways in and out (neighborhood balcony for example) ways to block your entrance ( looted stuff, big furniture on corridors …) some false things that makes intruders think it is not worth it like look it looted, stench of corpses (animals) red paint, signs like mines, bio hazard etc.
    And always keep your way out ready and clear, I mean always be ready to go (run).

In short: on short run, yea talk with neighbors and organize some defense there, on long run be very invisible and keep your exit way clear.

MR Ts Haircut
    Survivalist
    member1

Selco, thanks for the reply. I am talking about defending it initially myself as I live in a condo. We have about 60% Full time residents and the rest are out of towners who use it for a holiday / vacation place. I have several military and former military neighbors. (I am retired military). In the Short term, I am not too concerned but I am worried in a total grid down if I can maintain security on it. I know the Elevators can be disabled. That will only allow access by the stairwells and parking garage will only get access to the lobby on ground floor. so securing two stairwells is key. Good suggestion on using barricades on each floor to create a fire zone and cordon for defense. Of course I would have a pretty good view for overwatch and would need to establish security with an OP/LP and watches..
    the things to think about…

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

It is some advantage then, because lot of apartments will be empty when SHTF. You can use that in your favor by making alternative routes in and out, also leading the possible intruders in direction you want will be easier to plan.
    Thinking outside box is key there. Think today about all possible routes in and out and alternate ways for that for example.
    In some apartments buildings during the SHTF I could go trough the floors up and down trough the hole in the walls or ceiling, and those holes were hidden with rubble or destroyed furniture or similar, if I tried to walk on stairways it looked impossible because it looked buried under destroyed stuff, or stairways were not there at all etc.

Profile photo of Kollaps
    Kollaps
    Survivalist
    member3

Depends what you can do. If you don’t care about damaging the structure, and you know which walls are load-bearing, you have some flexibility.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Yep, that is the reason why I am saying that it depends about how serious event we are talking about. If we talk about some very serious SHTF event, then some real modifications can be done on that building, I am talking mainly about modifications to “change” how people go in and out, and how they move trough the building.

MR Ts Haircut
    Survivalist
    member1

good thoughts thank you.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

The advices above suggest that you would want to have some heavy duty tools on hand (eg, sledge hammers) for breaking up furniture and parts of the building to create rubble and other obstacles.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of skidmark
    skidmark
    Survivalist
    member2

From personal experience – you need to decide well in advance if you are going for personal defense or if you are going to set up building/community defense. That is because it takes time – lots of time – to get to know your neighbors, turn your neighbors into friends, and then turn your friends into those who are as concerned as you are about defense and survival. If everybody gets thrown into the fire with no advance warning the chaos outside might look like a picnic when compared to the chaos inside.

Nobody needs to be as committed to the cause as you are, but without some sense of togetherness the situation will probably hurt you before the Bad Guys can even get to you. All this “tactical” discussion is no good if you do not have a team that is interested in carrying out tactics.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Elijah B. suggestion is a good one. Tools that you can easily carry. Examples below but lots to choose from in construction field.

http://www.deadonstore.com/tools.htm

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

………….AC refrigerant set on fire …….turns into mustard gas or phosgene gas , depending on what type ………………just sayin.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mr Ts Haircut, What floor level are you on? This is important information to know/

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Skidmark – love to hear more about your experience you mentioned. Can’t be the onlyone…we could learn more from you I bet.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.