Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Ok, while closing the shop, I’ve come across some interesting junk.
    A buggered AK receiver, decent folding stock, and a .430″ barrel blank chunk.

My first thought was to build a .44x39mm thumper.
    Unfortunately the case neck is going to be too thin for that.

Still playing with the ideas though and a 9×39 or 10×39 keep coming to mind.
    Unfortunately the 9×39 will probably win out, the case would still have a vestigial shoulder and should still work through standard mags then.

Of course a 9mm Para version is a possibility as there’s a Uzi barrel sitting right there also.

Hmm. It’ll have to be a screw build because of the messed up holes, but for free….

We shall see what happens.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I vote for the 9mm Para with the Uzi barrel. Some time down the road you may come up with a wild hair idea using that 430 blank!
    Robin
    ((my newest carbine is a Hi-Point 45acp. Looking to break-in next weekend_))

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirly,
    I found this post on making rimless 444 Marlin using 6mm Remington brass. I didn’t chech the casehead sizing. But it might mach up well enough with the 762×39 to work.
    I can’t see how a .243 can go up to a 44 if a 308 can’t but it’s not my project. But it does make me think cutting the top off a 30.06 to make 444 rimmless brass could posibly work. I’m telling you right up front I haven’t checked any case dimensions. But it is an interesting idea, an AK thumper in 444 would be a cool gun.

http://www.shootersforum.com/wildcat-cartridges/32036-rimless-444-marlin.html

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

I’m with Robin. 9mm Para seems the way to go. Though the 9×39 keeps tickling the back of my brain. Either way it would an interesting weapon.

Changed my mind while writing this. I’m voting 9×39. That concept is very intriguing.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

My vote is to chamber the .430 barrel for 44 Automag (edited). The case length for 44 mag is1.285. To make rimmless 44mag simply cutt a 7.62 x 39 case off at that length and run it through a 44mag sizing die.
    The only thing needed is a reamer that will cut a chamber so the case can headspace on the case mouth. Reloading will be safe using 44mag data. As a bonus the cartridges will fit into standard AK magazines. 20, 30 or 40 rounds of 44 mag available for knocking over anything walking the planet. I think I want one!

Edit: I forgot about the Automag. It used 308 cases to make rimless 44 mag.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I have no real vote other than a build report with lots of pictures….. I guess that is my vote.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I like to see it when you finish it. Image.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Pics of the build will follow, once I decide what barrel.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Pics of the build will follow, once I decide what barrel.

Go with one that is rifled….. Smooth bore = ewwww…. Except for blunderbusses. Those are really sweet.

Seriously though, please do make a build post from start to finish. I am very interested to see what you come up with.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

A build I really wanted to see is one a friend told me. Seems this guy had bunch of spare stuff laying around (yep, a basher. Takes stuff apart and then does Frankenstein builds) Made his own bullpup 17 cal. using necked down 45 shells. Travel a mile in nothing flat and straight.
    Robin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.