Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

Not sure how to approach this.  Hope this is in the right category.  If you remember, it’s been mentioned on here that I lost both of my legs about three years ago, and now spend most of my time in a wheelchair.  In most of the training you see nowadays  people are using IWB, OWB, or some sort of pocket carry depending on the weapon.

Needless to say, none of these will work very well for me.  And it’s been difficult trying to find a decent shoulder rig anywhere.  It’s just not something people seem to wear much anymore, so the R&D on these is apparently lacking or non-existent.  Anyone have any ideas or know of someone in my position that has come up with a solution for this type of problem?

We have open carry in this state, and I guess I could just clip it to the armrest of the wheelchair, but it’s not something I’m comfortable doing.

Does anyone know of a training regimen for carrying in a shoulder holster?  I’ve not seen anything on any Youtube videos that speak to this issue, but that doesn’t mean it’s not out there.  I just haven’t found it.

Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Bushrat,

With your permission I will repost your questions on the Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Association web site and we can see what a larger group of dedicated gun owners have to offer.

Edit: Oh btw, what model gun do you want a holster for if you don’t mind?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Bushrat,

After doing a few searches I found that quite a few people like the Galco VHS :http://www.galcogunleather.com/vhs-shoulder-system_8_2_1334.html. I have a Galco OWB and can say their holsters are good quality. This one looks like it hangs loose and I can see that could cause a problem. Well the price is pretty steep as well.

There is this set up made just for wheelchairs: http://scotworksllc.com/concealedpouch.html Requires a separate holster.

A number of people like cross draw holsters IWB or OWB. I know sitting in a car this would work for me. Of course not sure you have the room in your seat and other factors involved. Massad Ayoob says cross draw is the best for wheelchairs. http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2011/08/17/quick-handgun-access-for-the-wheelchair-bound/

The fanny pack made for a pistol http://coronadoleather.com/i-6785882-original-coronado-stealth-pac.html

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Bushrat,

5-11 Tactical makes a shirt with padded side pouches. The shirt itself is like a spandex material so it keeps your weapon snug to your body. It basically carries the weapon like a shoulder rig without the straps. One of the things I really like about it is I can wear a button down shirt over it and tuck it in thus eliminating the tell tale sign I am carrying because my shirt is untucked.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8
    bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

1974,  I don’t mind at all.  Thanks for taking interest.

As far as a holster, my primary has always been my Gen 1 Glock 17.  Now that I’m seated most of the time, In the winter time I started sticking my Keltec PF-9 in a jacket pocket. Eventually, will want one for both.

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>matt76 wrote:</div>
    Bushrat, 5-11 Tactical makes a shirt with padded side pouches. The shirt itself is like a spandex material so it keeps your weapon snug to your body. It basically carries the weapon like a shoulder rig without the straps. One of the things I really like about it is I can wear a button down shirt over it and tuck it in thus eliminating the tell tale sign I am carrying because my shirt is untucked.

Interesting idea.  I’ll give it a look.  Thanks!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Matt,
    What is that shirt like in the summer? I have what I think are similar shirts I wear for cold weather. Do they make a more open weave active/dry model or is that what it is?

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

The shirt itself is great but the padding does get a little warm outdoors in the summer, of course that is coming from somebody who lives in Texas with 110% humidity. Lol

Profile photo of fishuntr
    fishuntr
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Bushrat;

I teach NRA Defensive Pistol courses and over a period of time have worked with students who are wheelchair bound. I agree with Mass that cross draw works. I also like shoulder rigs. I’m retired LEO and I carried a 1911 pistol in something called a Jackass rig. You put it on and wore it like a jacket. The pistol rode horizontally with grip forward on your weak or off side. On the strong side was 2 mag holders. It was very comfortable to wear and it was fairly balanced. I’m sure someone still makes one. Like anything else, you have to practice with your carry method

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Galco brought back their “Jackass” model a few years back for their anniversary.
    The Miami Classic is the standard model that comes the closest.

Both are good rigs, I’ve used the MC for 15 years now and it’s my favorite for driving and hiking.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

@BushRat

Good Luck getting this sorted out!
    Subbing to see how it goes for you. This info will also make for a good winter carry for me, very possibly!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Let’s see if you CCW veterans can give me some advice on this one… I FINALLY jumped through all of the hoops and got my concealed carry weapon permit. I bought a Walther PPS in 9mm, which should prove to be very concealable. (No, my choice in firearm is NOT negotiable haha though I do plan to get a full size handgun later on.)

However, I am looking for an IWB holster for it and am quite frankly at a loss as to what type to get. I’ve been shopping around and realize that I might need some help if I am to avoid buying something I’ll regret. Is softer the way to go?? Or should I aim for a more sturdy material?

It will be carried under light (summer) attire occasionally. I understand that I’ll have to find one that fits the Walther and that part is up to me… I’m hoping someone can point me in the right general direction or at least away from some potentially poor choices.

Thanks in advance once again!

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

First, you will end up with a couple holsters, it just ends up that way.

Secondly, if you can, avoid the cookie cutter holsters. They fit everyone, just not well.

Gimmicks, avoid them. Keep it simple with either leather belt loops or some solid hook that’s not bulky.

If you can find a custom hydex holster maker near you, spend the money and habe one fit to you and the gun. Make sure it fits you though, too many holster makers make great holsters for them, but lacking for other people.

Are you packing along enough extra pounds so a spare tire is always with you? If so, an IWB may not be the answer, for comfort amd access reasons. At that point, a tight to the body OWB holster will be the best choice. The problem is finding one.

For a couple of ideas, check out http://www.holstersby3r.com
    The 2 loop Defender and OC models respectively.

Full disclosure, its my website, my holsters.
    I don’t make anything for the PPS so I’m not trying to sell you anything. But it gives you ideas to look at and for.

If you have any questions about them and why they are made like they are, please don’t hesitate to email or pm, or just ask them here.

Both holsters have several innovative features one won’t notice until they are in use. I have a number of repeat customers in both the LE and private sectors, especially since I fit the holster to the gun and the user.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

There is more to ccw then just the holster. IWB holsters need to stay put so you don’t need to re-adjust the ride. Your pants require an additional inch of room or you can’t be comfortable. A good stiff belt helps support the extra wieght of the gun. Tight fitting shirts will print the gun as well, so will thin material. Casual dress makes things a bit easier. A sweatshirt or a shirt that hangs low enough to cover the gun sitting or standing looks normal.

However when you want to go out in a dress shirt tucked in, well now you need a sport coat. Only you can’t take it off when someone asks if you’re hot with that on.

Greetings with friends, everyone wants a hug. How do you keep them from putting their hand on your gun? I try to direct their left arm upwards.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.