Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

** If you have any technical problems please check our Help & Feedback forum first.**

The SHTF School Team strives to foster the community by bringing you up to date information, engaging in discussions, and providing a welcoming environment where everyone can share their opinions, offer suggestions, and learn from each other.

We have created the following guidelines for this community. They are by no means all inclusive. This is work in progress and feel free to suggest changes or additions. We reserve the right to take appropriate actions if we feel any post, thread, or comment is inappropriate for the forum or sites, even if it is not specifically called out in these guidelines.

If you see someone disregarding these guidelines you can talk to any of our current active moderators: Selco, Elijah, or Jay

The short version would be:

Respect each other, accept others opinions even if they are different and try to contribute what you can to make this an interesting, educational and entertaining community.

<h3>1. Harassing, Insulting and Abusive Posts</h3>
    We do not tolerate any comments that are abusive or insulting, involve name calling, or attempt to disparage, harass, defraud, threaten or cause distress and/or unwanted attention. We are all grown up people here and tolerance and acceptance that different people might have different opinions is expected. Different opinions are perfectly fine, personal attacks or attacking someone’s character are not.

<h3>2. Grammar Police</h3>
    Any post or comment made with the intention of embarrassing another community member based on spelling, typos, or grammatical errors is not permitted. Not everyone speaks the same language. Keep in mind that the person you are addressing may not be a native speaker.

<h3>4. Profanity</h3>
    Please try to articulate your thoughts in a proper way. We are not completely against profanity and if something sucks, then feel free to say so but please keep this at a minimum. Keep in mind not everyone is thick skinned and we want that this community is a welcoming place for all people from all walks of life.

<h3>5. Political Discussions</h3>
    This community does not follow or support a certain political side and all opinions are welcome. It is perfectly fine to state your political orientation and discuss your point of view with others but also accept their point of view. It is perfectly fine to enter into a debate or discussion and end it by agreeing to disagree.

<h3>6. Provoking, Trolling, and “Baiting”</h3>
    Threads or posts that are intended to create a strong negative or emotional reaction, provoke conflict, or are made simply for ‘shock value’ are considered trolling. Debating a topic on the merits or holding a strong opinion are acceptable, however making posts to provoke conflict or incite, bait, or mock others who disagree with you are not.

<h3>7. “Self Defense” Posts</h3>
    Please do not respond to attempts to provoke, troll or bait you. Posts you feel violate the community guidelines should be reported in the Help & Feedback section or via private message to one of the active moderators (Selco, Elijah, Jay).

<h3>8. Spam</h3>
    Advertisements for any good, service, or site that is not directly related to survival and preparedness are not permitted. We want to keep this community free from commercial and hyped up crap as good as possible (and there is much out there, also in the survival and preparedness scene).

<h3>9. Illegal Activity</h3>
    Do not talk about things that are illegal and may violate any local, state, national, or international laws, or regulations.

<h3>10. Personal Information</h3>
    Respect each others privacy. Do not post any personal information of yourself or other members on the forum.

<h3>11. Hate Speech & Groups</h3>
    Groups or individuals whose ideology promotes intolerance directed at others based on their race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, lifestyle, ethnicity, etc. are not welcome here. This is a place to learn and having an open mind and attitude towards others is required to learn and grow. When 8 bears want to eat you and 2 want to cuddle it makes sense to call out bears as dangerous animals but do this in a proper way.

<h3>12. Inappropriate Content</h3>
    You may not use, distribute, or spotlight, or post links to sexually explicit, harmful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, racially, nationally, ethnically offensive content or language, or other content deemed inappropriate.

<h3>13. Bans and Sanctions</h3>
    We reserve the right to simply ban members if they disregard the guidelines repeatedly. Usually people will first get a warning from one of the moderators but in severe cases we simply ban the account and email.

The decisions of Administrators and Moderators are final. Not every possible rule or condition is included in these guidelines, so just because something isn’t here doesn’t mean it’s necessarily alright. Staff will take the action they consider necessary, even if the matter just makes them feel “icky’.

Think about this place like a local club or hangout place where you gather with friends and like minded people. As preppers and survivalists everyone should understand the importance of a group and group effort. With a bit of group effort by every single one of us we can keep this place awesome, interesting and our little bug out location in the world wide web for serious survival and preparedness discussions.

Feel free to add or suggest changes to these guidelines.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Bump to the top.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Jay – great post and a good reminder. It’s unfortunate that some of the topics have contained the type of “thrown spears” above that you felt the need to do this, BUT I see how it would have been necessary eventually. I think we all get it, some of us more passionately than others, but no need for maligning anothers view point even if you are convinced he’s 100% wrong – big deal, that’s their right to have their own opinion.

Suggest sticking this at the top of the forum pages in case you haven’t already done it.

Thanks, K

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Thanks, yes its now sticky in all forum sections. Im a big believer in freedom of speech and Im pretty fine with however someone expresses themselves. These community guidelines are just a reminder. Overall I think we are a pretty civilized community planning well ahead for very uncivilized times. :)

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Jay, I hate censorship but could you stomp on the cussing?
    Thanks, Robin

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Yes, I received multiple complaints. I will at least add a way to filter words and if this is not enough take further steps. This ruins the site on a lot of levels and is not necessary.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Thanks Jay.
    Robin

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Ok we have content filter now, which does not mean its fine to use those bad words. If anyone finds some bad words that the filter does not catch please let me know.

Censored words will show up like this:

**** this ****

Profile photo of Vadim
    Vadim
    Survivalist
    member3

Would be great to be able to block (or ignore) posts from particular users too…

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I will look into this when I have time. I do believe that every opinion can contribute to the conversation though. If someone is all the time simply negative or trying to cause trouble with their replies please contact one of us moderators.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

working on it, sorry, should have been here first. lazyness. *editing

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of Christian Gains
    Christian Gains
    Survivalist
    member1

Thanks for the clarifications, (tho they’re my own already). I look forward to learning & sharing with this Community!

Profile photo of Christian Gains
    Christian Gains
    Survivalist
    member1

I’m a semi-retired “Christian Field Missionary”, (aka: Disciples). In our work, we learned a tremendous amount about survival amongst foreign peoples, and cultures, the “HOW TO” of “becoming One”, (learning to eat, dress, talk, and live as the “Natives”, [regardless the ‘social level’ or ethnic make up, or religious convictions — “Western Civilized” or “just ‘the folks’ of a “so called 3rd World” country They were simply all human brothers and sisters to us!]. God Bless Brethren…

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome Christian Gains. It would be interesting to hear you talk more about the “becoming One”. I can guess that I have not experienced the range of cultural diversity that you have but even in my limited life experience I have seen how newcomers or outsiders, whichever you prefer, can unintentionally alienate the native population.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Mountain Biker, in my experience the first thing is to show respect. Ask about how they do things and why, and ask before jumping into something. Show interest but restraint. If and when you are invited to join/taste/sit with them, do so humbly. The problems seem to arise when newcomers are loud, assertive, and certain that their ways are better than the local culture. I’m sure that happens in your little hamlet when new ‘city’ folk move in. I am glad you are so well accepted and sure that you comport yourself in a way that ensures that acceptance.

e.g.: We went into a village in the Eastern Ghat Mtns of India, where my husband was to do a leadership conference with local native missionaries. As we were in the rickety taxi, still miles away, our host received a phone message that a large angry mob had gathered in the street outside the little church to prevent us from entering their village (anti-Christian). God used the heat of the day (plus some assurances from a leader that we were not coming there to convert Hindus–ourselves anyway ;) ) to disperse them by the time we arrived.

While the conference was in session, I wandered outside into the village streets with my camera. A woman was spreading cut green mangoes on a sleeping cot in the sun to dry. By sign language, we talked about what she was doing. I asked about photographing her and she was delighted. Also photographed some cute little children (after requesting permission) and endeared their grannies. Wandered down the street where a lady, obviously a local entrepreneur, was having several strapping young men sorting green mangoes in her open shop stall. I approached cautiously with a smile and watched. By the time I left, she had piled some green mangoes in my arms and made it known I was to make ‘mango pickle’ from them. No sign of the previous mob mentality or hostility. All this in an area where thousands of Christians were persecuted/beaten/driven from their homes/raped/killed a few years prior.

This behavior applied when we moved into the Blue Ridge Mountains when we were first married. Our nearest neighbor was ‘mountain folk’ without running water or plumbing. I was very interested in his chickens, broody hen setups, etc etc. Learned a great deal about traditional ways–and later he and his son came and removed a huge tree fallen across our driveway while my husband was away.

It also applied when we moved into an Alaskan village (40% Athabascan). By the time we were there a few years, I was plucking ducks along with the Native ladies in preparation for a potlatch. And picking wild berries with them, having some of the men help us skin/butcher moose, etc. Later praying with them in their homes and in our home. We also reciprocated by sharing our moose meat with the elderly Natives, the hides with a young man trying to revive traditional ways, and the bones with our neighbor’s dogteam.

Totally ‘one’? Probably not. But mutual respect and acceptance so we lived happily as neighbors–and enjoyed India as well. (BTW some high politicians and a contingent of Chatthisghar State Troopers were ambushed and murdered not far from where we were, a few weeks later…)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.