Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

FYI
    Common Tick Carries Deadly New Illness
    ‘The Heartland Virus’ « CBS News – http://cbsloc.al/1kxaKBs

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Chester, Good information to know, thanks for the link to the news article.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

I just got bitten by a tiny “seed” tick from cleaning squirrels. Found it on my upper chest yesterday. Doused it with iodide. Still itches and have a small rash in the area. But so far, not sick. Will post if anything further develops…

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks for the info Chester. Now it is time of the year for them, and lot of problems here too.
    Simple removal is best with common soap gently “massage”.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

I hope you’re ok wildartist. Keep an eye on it. In my SHTF mind-set & years of prepper lifestyle I’ve come to know it can be ‘little things’ that bite you in the ass. Infections, biting little critters causing sickness, teeth that go bad etc.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Thanks, Chester. So far, so good. But I’m keeping an eye on the bite area. Slight swelling & rash, like a big mosquito bite. But I don’t feel sick (yet, anyway.) You’re right, it’s the little unexpected things that de-rail life. A cut, a twisted ankle, etc.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Re; The seemingly small things: Had a scratch on my finger back in the ’80’s. Cleaning up my Dad’s dog yard. Picked up some big beef bones that were lying around–one had maggots. Eww yuck, but didn’t go to wash my hands for another couple of hours. That night at 3AM my entire arm was swollen, throbbing, red streaks up the arm. Took me over two weeks of double antibiotics to get over it. BAD! So yes, the small things’ll git ya!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Wild, That’s one hell of a lesson.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

I hear the VC used to put rotted flesh on the pungi sticks…same principle. Can kill you in a few days without antibiotics. Yes, this is off topic, sorry!

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Yep. I’d imagine lots of little things will become big issues in SHTF. We always squirrel away antibiotics from visits to dentist office, doctor etc.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Wild,
    Not sure of the flesh part but I know they used feces.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Thanks, 1974, wasn’t sure.

Profile photo of rickwatts
    rickwatts
    Survivalist
    member1

Cleaning squirrels, got infection in palm of hand. Over 3days and 4 visits Doc gave all penicillin, oremyosin , streptomycin, and tetracycline shots he had while hand got bigger and hotter. On fourth visit, he did it the old fashioned way and lanced it. His comment when I asked whats next if that doesn’t work was “off at the elbow” to save your life”. Don’t think he was kidding, he was very surprised when I showed up the last time worse than ever. He tried to find a visible clue to point of entry or object in drainage but found nothing.

rickwatts
    Survivalist
    member1

Now have nitrile gloves to process food!

rickwatts
    Survivalist
    member1

Also Now have stainless tick removal tool and instruction disk on my key ring taped to prevent them being damaged.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.