Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

http://wimastergardener.org/?q=Portulaca_oleracea

“It has been grown for more than 4,000 years as a food and medicinal plant and is still cultivated in many places today. Common purslane is a low-growing plant with succulent leaves.It is considered quite nutritious because it is unusually high in omega-3 fatty acids (found mostly in fish and flax seeds) and contains significant amounts of vitamins A and C, as well as calcium, iron, magnesium and potassium and antioxidants. It also contains high amounts of oxalates (just as spinach does) so should not be consumed excessively by those susceptible to forming kidney stones. It is sometimes used as fodder and is fed to poultry to reduce egg cholesterol, and was also used traditionally as an ointment for burns. Some other common names include garden purslane, little hogweed, pusley, and wild portulaca. It’s called pourpier in France and verdolaga in Mexico.”

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Looks like an easy to grow plant with some value. On my to do list is to get myself better educated on medicinal herbs and to get some growing in my flower and/or veggie beds, and/or in the greenhouse. A prepper friend in the Adirondacks is pretty knowledgeable and can advise me.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mtb,
    I have purslane growing as weeds once you have it growing there is no going back. Same thing with lambs quarters.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74, I think they will grow here in South Florida but I do not have any in my yard. Were can I purchase some seeds?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom, I think if you look in some over grown lots you will find it. If not PM me.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I will start looking if I can’t fin it I will PM you.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Freedom! Just go to HDepot or whatever…the stuff is known down there as portulaca. Grows like a darn weed.No need to look roadside, you’ll know what I mean when you see it.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

http://www.northerngardenersalmanac.com/2010/07/what-you-need-to-know-about-portulaca.html

Be careful of different varieties, I found some other pages that say the ornamental portulaca can be toxic.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPr6IT6oNKY

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

OK so 74 how is the best way to know which one is not toxic? Is it the one’s with the spoon leaves?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom, correct. The plant with narrow leaves and larger blooms should be avoided.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74 are the flowers always yellow?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom, Common purslane will have yellow flowers.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thank you Sir.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I just realized what this stuff is. I have pulled up loads of this stuff from my gardens and flower beds. 74 is right, there is no getting rid of it once you have it. Good to know I can put it to use.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.