Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

VERY good information!!! namelus, I learned something that may save me in the future! GREAT!!

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Pretty awesome skill to know if you own a shotgun. Thanks for posting this! :)

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Some things about about this video: One is the way he is carrying extra ammo. If I am going to use a shotgun for an extended fight, I want more ammo. I have shell bags for shooting sporting clays/skeet that will carry 50 rounds easily. On the down side they have open top so jumping up and down may dislodge a few and going prone might as well. You have to feel the orientation of the round when you grab them so you stuff it in the right way. From a bag you can grab more than one round and have it in your hand as you close the bolt, then you don’t have to reach for another round.

Just to make the practice better I would use multiple targets or moving targets. Shooting 10 rounds at one spot is going to make you screw up in a fight. We use to practice this drill with clay birds thrown one right after the other. You need at least 4 people and two hand throwers. Two shooters stand near each other in the middle, put one thrower on each side of the shooters. (at safe distances)

Start with full guns: Shoot a bird, then the broken pieces, throw the next bird right away, shoot the next bird and pieces non stop, just keep throwing, shooting and reloading. Makes for a real fun day.

As a side note; left handed shooters have a real advantage in reloading a shotgun because you don’t reach over the receiver to place it into the open chamber.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974, I have the belt with 25 rounds but will be buying a bag because I to think it is easier to grab the ammo.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ya an enclosed loop is hard to get the shell out fast. They are good for hunting, transporting and such. The guy in the video uses a open clip so they pull out the front. I have a mole dump pouch with a lose draw sting closing top that I think would work well for a shell bag as well. I have it on a chest rig so I don’t need a separate piece of gear. If i have an other defender for the shotgun I can give then the regular shell bag.

CONDOR Digital ACU MOLLE PALS Roll Up 5.56 .223 Mag Magazine Dump Pouch Holster

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONDOR-Digital-ACU-MOLLE-PALS-Roll-Up-5-56-223-Mag-Magazine-Dump-Pouch-Holster-/360564652428?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f353f98c

This shell bag has a deep pocket so it will keep them from bouncing out. Some are shallower than others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trap-Skeet-Shooters-Shell-Bag-New-/261473057405?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce1023a7d

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Not to pick nits, but we carried extra ammo in carriers that snapped shut. I notice that dude has all his spare ammo in a handy carrier right at his belt buckle. They’re all poking up where he can get at them easily. That’s pretty Hollywood.

No offense, but ‘combat’ is a lot more than just standing there like a statue shooting low-brass rounds at paper targets. If you carry all your spare ammo exposed, right at your belt buckle, well… it just doesn’t seem like a good idea. You’re low crawling, laying down, being as small as possible. That exposed ammo would get knocked loose at a minimum and lost, or fouled with debris, which you would then load into your shotgun (if you weren’t paying attention). Crud in gun = bad.

I have a leather cuff on my dedicated shotgun. It holds 4 rounds of high-brass buckshot and one slug. Anything I need after that is carried in a canvas musette bag. Buckshot in front, slugs in the rear, and they’re just dumped in there loose.

What I’d like to see is dude develop some type of protocol for quick reloading during realistic scenarios. And why not teach your students to count rounds? We always did. If you lost count at some point, dump your mag and reload. If you had a shotgun and lost count, cram as many rounds in it as you can and keep going…

I admit that his field-expedient method of chucking a round in if you need it and you’re empty has merit. I might adopt that. But I’d also like to see him at least use realistic gear. Perhaps he’s using that system for maximum speed, so folks say “WOW! That was fast! I think I’ll pay him money and attend his classes.”

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Melgus,
    Same thoughts I had.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Sorry 74… didn’t see your comments.

You should try one of those canvas musette bags I got. I posted a thread about those guys at IMA having good gear. I picked up a couple of their musette bags. One I use for 1st Aid, the other is my shotgun ammo bag. Big and roomy. Only mod I am considering is converting it from buckles to snaps.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974, Thanks for the links.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mel,
    Shared opinions are not a problem. Well I do like the double pocket for slugs and shot so you can pick. I’m trying to stay away from canvas though. All that surplus canvas stuff is moldy smelling. At least the poly/nylon stuff I can use a bleach wash on it to get rid of mildew. Is that a newer piece made from nylon?

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

It’s not surplus. It’s new-made to the same standards as the originals, so no stink. What I like about it is that there’s no velcro. I hate velcro. And the fact that, being heavy canvas, it’s pretty much designed to last forever. If it gets cruddy, just chuck it in the washing machine, air dry.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Have to agree about velcro for many reasons. It’s loud, fails when you need it the most and wears out,

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Hey 74, I got a question..

Why you always call me “Mel”? My screen name is MALGUS… I’m sort of a closet Star Wars junkie. Malgus was a human Sith Lord during the Great Galactic War (Old Republic) and was sort of a badass (even though he got his ass kicked by a girl :) ). He could take a hit and keep on coming… that’s why I like the guy.

Here. A short movie about The Old Republic, and you get to see Malgus get his ass kicked by a girl. She kind of blows him up with a Force wave and then drops a mountain on him… but he goes down swinging, howling rage at his enemy…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

ha ha ha because I can’t read or write and spellen makes no diferance to mee. Some kind of dyslexic mind trick.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.