Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I think we end up like South A-freak-a but we go down fast. Like Freedom says financial collapse is  eminent. It won’t take a super power to push us over the edge. A large scale terrorist attack would do it. Cyber attack or espionage on the grid, EMP, dirty nukes. How many ways are there to attack? Too many to defend.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I know the numbers, and even agree with the unsustainable but still feel that the collapse will be slow and drawn out.

Smaller upsets,  like the collapse of the Argentine economy that is ongoing some 12 years later or the 35 year spiral of Rhodesia show that they aren’t end all be all collapses but a continuous grind.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Agree with Whirli – kind of like the “deal” reached with the nuclear capable countries of “Mutually Assured Destruction” that kept everyone off the trigger (so far), with many of the economies tied together I don’t believe that those countries will allow it to happen.  Of course there will be changes and probably a pardigm shift for many, but I don’t think it will become a world of “The Road” overnight without a cataclysmic event that wipes out several infrastructure pillars completely.  Otherwise, as the slow grind evolves, so will we – and probably ride it out too.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

When it comes to nuclear destruction, I do not worry to much about nuclear war (as we imagine it for years) though it is possible.

Biggest worry is simply lack of control over the arsenal, or “smaller” terrorist attack with some of the devices.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Agree Selco, The small suitcase nuclear bomb or dirty bomb were the bomb can hit a city are destroy that city. One man or two man terrorist group is what we need to keep a look out for.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>Agree Selco, The small suitcase nuclear bomb or dirty bomb were the bomb can hit a city are destroy that city. One man or two man terrorist group is what we need to keep a look out for.

Again a tragedy but a relatively localized happening.
    DC gets hit, wouldn’t effect the price of an egg in oregon.

Looking back, 9/11.
    We all were effected, if no other way than there was nothing else on the tv for weeks.
    But aside from flight restrictions, how were most of us physically effected? The lights stayed on, the trucks still delivered the food, aside from the drama we created, there was little real effect elsewhere.

From the viewpoint of what physically effected more people, hurricane Sandy or Katrina were much more destructive and long lasting.

And as such, because of the widespread effect, the long term damage, the predictability and unpredictability of the circumstances,we must look at these situations as those we plan for and the localized events are suddenly less traumatic.

Long term problems, we can plan for, we can adjust with or to.
    Water issues? Filters, boiling, storage are all ways and means of handling this.
    Same for food shortages, you can store food, grow it, trade for it, but only having only one way, that is dangerous.

Take the long view, redundant means to perform similar jobs or services. Items that don’t wear out. Things like this,
    That way when the grind has you enjoying those 4 hours of power for the week, you have the means to not just survive but to thrive in those conditions.

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

Looking back, 9/11.<br>
    We all were effected, if no other way than there was nothing else on the tv for weeks.<br>
    But aside from flight restrictions, how were most of us physically effected? The lights stayed on, the trucks still delivered the food, aside from the drama we created, there was little real effect elsewhere.

911 cost me almost everything. The first week of September I went over my business contracts and had signed contracts for work through April of the following year. by the end of September I started receiving letters canceling contracts and all of them were canceled in the weeks to follow. I ended up going six months before I was able to find work.

The country panicked. I hate to imagine how a large scale terrorist attack would cripple us.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

A small nuclear attack on a city like New York or Chicago would make that city radioactive for 75 to 100 years. It all depends on which city gets hit the financial hit would be big. and if they plan two or three at a time then we are in trouble.

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

The US went through a recession because of the attack on two buildings in one city. Now imagine what would happen if attacks of similar outcomes were to happen in ten major cities at once.

I believe the panic that would follow such a large scale coordinated terrorist attack on several locations throughout the country would be enough to throw us directly into a SHTF situation.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

I believe a wide scale cyber attack would be far more devastating than a small nuke or dirty bomb in a city or two. Those are localized events in which resources could be pulled from other areas.

With a large scale cyber attack against the power grid, communications, the internet, etc., that’d be nation wide. It means everyone is directly affected by what is going on. Within a couple days (or less for some areas) of no power and food/water running out, it’d be complete and utter chaos in many places. And when that happens, everyone can become a direct threat to you, which is pretty much the total opposite should we be talking about a suitcase nuke in a city nowhere close to your location.

Economically speaking, in the fragile world we live in a nuke or dirty bomb in a city which is an economic hub could create ripples that we may never really recover from, but I don’t see it as being the event which would thrust us into a collapse.

Sometimes I like to think about what the major event, or events, that will ultimately take place to put us into a big SHTF event will be, and when it’d happen. But then I realise that it’s rather pointless to have that ticking away in my mind. Whatever happens, whenever it happens, will happen, all I can do is make ready myself and my people.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I agree with Whirlibird, looking at the overall probabilities the long grind into poverty and collapse of the system is the most likely scenario in my opinion. That does not mean anything else that could speed this up greatly couldnt happen before.

Terrorist attacks are most likely, closely followed by natural disasters. I doubt Putin or any other totalitarian ruler will go crazy for another war. After the two last wars the US won’t fight anywhere anytime soon as well.

At the end of the day I liked what Selco said and that is to focus on your local area and be prepared for the worst case. Like Mr. Red said:

Sometimes I like to think about what the major event, or events, that will ultimately take place to put us into a big SHTF event will be, and when it’d happen. But then I realise that it’s rather pointless to have that ticking away in my mind. Whatever happens, whenever it happens, will happen, all I can do is make ready myself and my people.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of Vadim
    Vadim
    Survivalist
    member3

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Selco wrote:</div>Your thoughts?

Collapsing globally (with properly large World War and with nuclear exchanges, perhaps) – between 2020 and 2025, as the authors of the good book predict.

Smaller scale SHTFs will pop like seemingly random fireworks before that time here and there, during nearest 5 years. If Putin’s Russia has their way with what currently constitutes Ukraine, and those Russians will get to “liberate” Gagauzia, Moldova and, eventually, Bulgaria, then nothing will stop them from offering a real helping hand to Serbian “bratushki”. And those “bratushki” will mercilessly revenge all their neighbors for “humiliations” of 1990-s. Not even Slovenes will be able to hide and sit it out this time.

So, once again, small local SHTFs – are possible anywhere even tomorrow (tonight, like already in Eastern Ukraine – I’m reading news and cannot but get a goosebumps, just how Selco described his experiences – shelling, snipers, meaningless deaths, inspirational tortures, lack of water and electricity, general confusion and stripes of different color on sleeves of conflicting gangs). The large real SHTF, that everybody on the planet will be forced to notice – will probably happen between 2020 and 2025. Those who will survive it will be able to enjoy some kind of Renaissance between ~2030 and ~2050 – with plenty of opportunities to rebuild the human Civilization, develop socially and personally and, generally, to prosper in peace.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Interesting and good thoughts about how events could unfold here in my region Vadim.
    I agree with that, and I already see some politicians here gaining strength (in their statements) because actions there in Ukraine.

We ll see how all this gonna be.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco, If the U. S. Collapses Eastern Europe need to get prepared because Russia will take advantage of that and think that the U. S. will be to busy to defend Eastern Europe. I see that coming.

China will do the same but in other parts like Taiwan.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

The new China and Russia alliance really concerns me. I know it’s shaky, but if Putin can convince the Chinese that they both gain if our economy collapses, I believe the attack will come. Phase One, moving away from the PetroDollar has already begun. I believe Phase Two will be a massive cyberattack to push our crippled economy over the edge. Then they will step in and buy or assets for pennies on the dollar. I understand the Chinese are buying up Detroit at an incredible rate. Toledo, OH is encouraging them to come in and set up shop with Chinese Economic Zones that are free of taxes.

I believe the collapse has already started. Most of our fellow citizens have not realized it yet, thanks to a government that has made the landing for the unemployed relatively soft.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.