Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

The Mini Bushman is not offered any longer by ColdSteel. This is a piece of my collection I bought when the first offering was made. A larger size is still available.

I bought both size knives because I liked the handle design and they were offered as a package deal. I wanted kinves with unbreakable tangs (anything can be broken if you try hard enough) and I liked the tapered hollow handle.

Recently I fashioned a handle for the mini using a broken spade handle made of Ash tree. The total length of my tool assembled is be 50″. The handle is nicely tapered with a slight swelling at the end for positive grip. The thickest section is 1.25″ in diameter. The Ash handle is strong enough to be used as a light club by itself. With the blade attached it becomes a light spear for slashing and jabbing. The 5′ length is easy to control and not unwieldy but creates space from an attacker. Deftly used it will be difficult to take away in an altercation.

The mini has a 4.5″ blade and is 9″ in total length. I’ve included the advertisement from the mfg below.

“For the money, the Bushman® knives might be the strongest survival/outdoor knives in the world! Unlike most hollow handled survival knives, there is no joint or seam between the blades and handles that requires a mechanical fastener. Instead, the Bushman’s® blades and integral handles are each expertly cold forged out of a single piece of 2.5mm thick SK-5 high carbon steel. The resulting knives are expertly heat-treated and tempered to RC54 and, when subjected to our tests, have withstood over two tons of pressure on their blade/handle transition!

Every Bushman® blade has been carefully ground to an extra thin edge, and then honed and buffed by hand until razor sharp. The Bushman® knives are versatile too! Their hollow handles will accept survival supplies or a variety of handle extensions which can maximize reach, leverage or ease of throwing. They are available in two blade styles (standard and our new Bowie point). Both feature continuously curved blades that are ideal for skinning, and will pierce, cut, slash, slice and shear like you won’t believe.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74, Love the Cold Steel knifes, this one is great.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Cold Steel does make some very good knives , I have the GI Tanto , like the bushman , its as simple as it gets . The thing is almost indestructible , and I have abused it very hard .

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I purchased the Cold Steel Ti-LiteVI it has a 6″ blade, love the knife.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

A lot of blades offered by Cold Steel are very impressive. i have two CS Viking Axes from them. The blades are amazing. They really are not for chopping wood. lol

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I own the SAFE KEEPER II push blade http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/SAFE.20_KEEPER.20_SERIES/SAFE_KEEPER_SERIES.aspx

You can find it cheaper at Amazon. I own two of them, they are built strong.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Their video’s are crazy fun to watch .

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>I own the SAFE KEEPER II push blade http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/SAFE.20_KEEPER.20_SERIES/SAFE_KEEPER_SERIES.aspx

You can find it cheaper at Amazon. I own two of them, they are built strong.

That type of knife can definitely be a bloody little reminder to people who like to get “too close”. They never see it coming.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes they are! I carry them one on each side. They are not that little with a blade that is 3 3/4″ it will cut someone pretty bad. I love these push knifes.

Profile photo of cpa23@cox.net
    cpa23@cox.net
    Survivalist
    member2

My experience with Coldsteel is:
    1. Very good marketing and sales pitch
    2. Poor customer service-I have yet to have them respond to any written communication
    3. Questionable steel strength-The blade edge on my Coldsteel machete just rolls over making it virtually worthless until benchground out. I recommend if you have a Coldsteel or any other brand, use it and use it to the extent you might use it in a SHTF scenario. Better to find out what works/fails ahead of time.

Quality in these cases is better than quantity. BTW, quality does not have to be expensive. Try many edged instruments and select the ones that work well for you. I found Kabar Kukri 11 1/2″ machete and Mora 4 1/2 field knife fixed blade,or a AK-47 bayonet (with the steel sheath) have never failed me. These are not the prettiest edged instruments just tried and true.
    My everyday carry is a Kershaw 2 1/2″ blade speed assist folder and a large 3 1/2″ blade Benchmade folder. After years of use, none of these 5 have ever failed me. Add in a Swiss Army Spartan and those are my recommendations for SHTF that I want to have with me.
    An important feature for all these knives is they fit my hand well. if you are in a SHTF situation, a comfortable edged instrument makes a world of difference.
    “You pays your money and you takes your chances.”
    Good luck helps too.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

cpa,
    Keep in mind that machetes are made with softer steel then knives. Somewhere around Rockwell 55. They’re made this way to absorb a lot of heavy impact that could shatter some harder steels. Many better knives are made with steel in the R60-R65 hardness range.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74, is right on this. Machetes are not very strong steel.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.