Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Survivalist
    member1

Scary lesson.
    Thoughts:
    -never allow idle chit chat with strangers… it’s a distraction so they can get you off guard.
    -good move on handling your gun… they obviously knew what that move was. They were most certainly bad guys.
    -beware tinted windows, always.
    -I carry a Glock 19 with 2 reloads on me as backup… that’s 45 rounds total of +P hollowpoint 9MM.
    I don’t care what it weighs or how I have to dress, I carry it. You’ll be glad you “suffered with it” if the SHTF on you some day.
    -get the girl to carry. The more guns on your side, the better. Get both of you trained in defensive carry/shooting.
    -take nothing for granted, including your neighborhood.
    -never go out alone if you can go with someone. NEVER let your wife go out alone. And since it can’t carry a gun, the dog does not count as “company”. One shot from a thug and the dog is done…. too easy to overcome.
    -leave your guns home only on days you feel like getting killed.

Good luck, God bless.

Profile photo of P1LGR1M
    P1LGR1M
    Survivalist
    member2

Freedom, glad you and your wife came out of this unscathed. Any time you can look back and take even just one lesson from an incident it is a win in my book.

Some thoughts from my side:

Have you considered complimenting your current “dog walking” EDC with some pepper-spray? Even if your wife carries the spray for now. A good dose of that dispensed into the confines of a car will make the majority of people re-evaluate their plans/intentions.

My current EDC is a Glock 17 and two spare mags, all carried IWB (I’m 1.83m and weigh 75kg) . At first it did feel weird, but you become use to it and concealing a full size frame is not that difficult. I have now purchased a Glock 19 and am awaiting the license, but as soon as this is through I will use the 19 with standard mag as my EDC and use the two 17 mags that I currently carry. That should be plenty of beans to dish out to all…

My wife is a small petit build and we are looking at a firearm for her. The last weapon I will ever consider for her personally is a revolver (even though I love them), as in our situation violent confrontations are seldom with less than three goblins and loading a pistol will be much quicker and easier under stress. We have looked at the following options for her, amongst others: Glock 26, Glock 43 and S&W Shield, as these are readily available in SA and are of what I consider minimum calibre for a self-defence weapon. She dislikes the 26, as she complains that it is too thick and admitted she won’t EDC it, the 43 and Shield are currently on her list, but here the Shield is nearly double the price of the 43 and spare mags are also much more expensive, so this has left us with the 43.

With the mag extensions the 43 and Shield are on par with capacity, so I believe both should be GTG. The only thing I noticed is that with these small frame pistols the +P and +P+ rounds are very unpleasant to shoot, keep that in mind and let your wife also shoot before buying. Some people are funny in this regard, my wife can run my 1911 all day long, but refuses to shoot with the 17, as she reckons it kicks to much, yet she had no problem shooting a 19?? Confusing to say the least.

Stay safe, them pesky goblins are everywhere.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

P1LGR1M I have to see what the wife can handle. She has never used a weapon. I think I will start her with a .22 revolver and slowly build her up to a 9mm. But it will take some time. I will be purchasing a Glock 19 soon so I will let her try it out. We will see what happens.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Freedom:
    Balloons and paper plates as targets, nothing small or far away.
    Make it fun, let her come to see the serious side in her own time.

Skip the wheelgun unless you already have one.
    Ladies in beginners classes I’ve taught, picked it up much faster and easier using a Ruger SR22 or an old Bernadelli Model 80. Light years difference.

They noted it too, switching between them.
    I got rid of my training .22 wheelgun because of it.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    Take her to the range and let her shoot a bunch of different guns before you buy. She might handle and like a gun like your 380 well on her first day.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I echo Whirly’s comment about revolvers. The long trigger pull on double action gives them difficulties. Plus I think they look at the moving parts instead of the sights.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Disagree with you all re: revolvers. Have to stick up for my fellow wheelgunners and represent…

Revolvers – especially those I’ve done an action job on – have much better DA trigger pulls than their DA semi auto counterparts, as well as better SA trigger pulls. Revolvers most times have very good fully adjustable sights.

The DA trigger pull on a revolver gives folks – particularly females – difficulties, but the DA trigger pull on a semi auto somehow does not? Eh…

I schooled my wife on a P&R Smith & Wesson K22 until she got some experience under her belt, then moved up to a larger caliber revolver – same controls, same sights, almost the same grip – just different power level. Eventually, she topped out on a Smith & Wesson Mountain Gun in .45 Colt. Then we moved on to the semi autos. Started her out on a High Standard HD Military, then moved up to a Colt 1911A1 – same controls, different power level. Finished up with the HK USP Compact so she could have some experience with a DA semi auto of decent power.

Trained my son the same way. If one can master the DA/SA trigger of a revolver – and females are completely capable of it – then one can master anything. I would even argue that learning the revolver is an advantage, since revolvers don’t have superfluous safeties, don’t have magazines to lose or damage and if you get bad ammo, just pull the trigger and skip the round, moving on to the next one… can’t really do that with a semi auto.

Last thing would be the simplicity of a revolver in a shooting scrape. Those who don’t have much time under the trigger of a semi auto will probably have issues once adrenaline causes their fine motor control to disappear. Revolvers can also be fired out of a purse or pants/coat pocket without having to worry about things like coins or fabric jamming the weapon. The fastest draw is the one you don’t have to perform.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus,
    “Ladies in beginer classes”
    For a first time shooter learning sight control is much easier with a single action semi auto, really it’s not even debatable. I use my Ruger MKII to teach any one new to shooting. After they have mastered the use of sights (and all safety issues), moving to a DA gun is fine. A lot of semiauto have sucky first shot DA triggers but after that in SA they are easier to fire. My Browning BDA double action is almost as good as my S&Ws.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Not even debatable?

Yeah, well like one of my old instructors used to say – this is only a way.. it’s not the way…

You have your way. I have mine. I’ll stack anyone I’ve taught up against anyone you’ve taught. So long as the results are the same, one can’t sit and say “mine’s better than yours”….

Personally, I think giving a neophyte shooter a weapon with dozens of cartridges in it promotes half-ass-ism… “So what if I miss? I’ve got over a dozen more bullets to hit with.” Shooting is 90% mental anyway – relatively few cartridges means the shooter will assign more value to each individual one and try harder, as opposed to the “who cares” attitude of someone with gobs of ammo…

It’s like giving someone two or three cartridges and a single shot rifle during hunting season… they won’t miss. They can’t afford to.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I own a Sig Sauer Mosquito .22 LR http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/mosquito.aspx
    which I think I my start her with, The .380 is a model that is very small and hard to handle. I had my 15 year old son shot the .380 and he had a problem hitting the target. He would have to hold it strong to keep the front from going up some. So the .380 is a no no for right now.

The .357 revolver can go down to a .38 Special. My 9mm Baretta 92 FS is on the heavy side but I can us it later on. I am planning to purchase a Glock 19 soon which is not that heavy.

My ideal thing would be for her to like the Glock 19, I then would get another Glock 19.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus,
    You are of course free to your own contrivances.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    The Sig is perfect for her to learn the basics of shooting and firearms safety. It will inspire confidence and not intimidate. Like Whirly mentioned start with a close target. 7 yards in common.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74 That is what I plan to do. I will take her to the range were she has to first take a 30 minute course on gun safety and after that use the Sig .22 LR with the 7 yard targets. Take her many times till she feels very good with the Sig.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Malgus,
    You are of course free to your own contrivances.

Thanks.

Mighty generous of you.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

There’s a number of reasons that semi autos dominate the LE world, cost is certainly one reason.

However the ease of training, related savings on ammo and time, to include the female shooters has shown the difference.

I used to be a disciple of Elmer Keith, wheelguns are superior and all that jazz.
    I’ve hunted with them, varried them on duty, flat wore out two Model 29s.
    I still teach a wheelgun class when there’s interest.
    But thanks to an understanding grandfather, who showed me the superiority of a good semi auto for combat, using his in two wars with good effect, I finaly came around myself.
    Especially after breaking a couple of wheelguns.

Being an instructor has certain advantages, not only do you get to try different toys out, but you get to watch others try different things. And with one hand raised and the other on something else, I can say that not one female student has shot the wheelgun better.

One nice lady brought a G19 and her late husbands .357 Model 19.
    The Glock courtesy of a local gun shop loaning it to her to try.
    She ran the course with the 19. Not bad, she actually would have qualified on the Colorado post test. Then she ran it again with the G19, no comparison.
    She carries the G19, the .357 lives at home in case of emergencies.
    Still in her late husbands old duty belt.

And as a gunsmith, I’ve seen them both break. I’ve broken them both myself.
    The autos have been easier to fix.

Revolvers have their place, pocket carry is one place they excell.
    Snakeshot? Great. Hunting, great.
    Combat? Still works but I’ll pass given a choice.

There’s a reason my AR has a 30 round magazine.
    So I have to manipulate the weapon less. Less fumbling around loading and unloading the gun. And lets face it, its a heck of a lot easier to shove a loaded mag in the gun without fumbling than a speedloader or speed strip. Even with practice.

What I can do after 30 years of shooting isn’t what a beginner can do, stick with what’s simple, the autoloader.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.