Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Well I didn’t sleep well last night. So here is the story of what happen to me and my wife yesterday.

First lets talk about were I live. The city is one of the safest in the area of Miami, Florida. My street has very little traffic and at night not much at all.

My wife and I always walk the dog every night around 8:30 to 9:30pm around two blocks. Well yesterday was like everyday we went out at 8::30 walk to the driveway to walk the dog on the street like we do all the time since there is no traffic and when we got to the end of our driveway we stopped since there was a car coming. This car was going slow, very slow but sometimes we see this here since there are some older drivers that do drive very slow so we just looked at the car and waited.

Well the car slows down right in front of us, I see two men at first one driving and the other in the passenger side. The men in the passenger side starts talking to my wife about how beautiful the dog is. I always carry a walking stick which is made by Cold Steel which is a good weapon if used right. I now see that the cars back window is tinted very dark but I see that there is another man in the back, maybe two. So now I am looking at the passenger which is talking to my wife about the dog and move my walking stick from my right hand to my left hand and put my right hand in my pant pocket were I have my .380 hand gun so now I am holding the gun in my hand.

I see the guy in the passenger side stop talking when I did this, maybe the guy in the back told him something or the drive did but that was the end of him talking and the driver drove off.

So I had all of thing to think about all night, what if? What if the guy in the back would have come out with a gun? What would I have done and how would I be able to defend with knowing that there was the passenger which may have also pulled a gun at the same time. Was I ready with a .380 with only 6 round mag? I did have another mag in my pocket but that didn’t make me feel better at the time.

Should I had carried my .357 revolver? But it has only five rounds. My old 9mm Beretta is way to heavy for me to carry but it would have made me feel better knowing that the mag has 15 rounds.

The problem for me was how many were in the car, three or four and how would I be able to stop that many with only my .380 with 6 rounds. So that is why I didn’t sleep well last night.

The other thing that I am on is making my wife take the Concealed Carry Permit which would have helped if she also carried.

Well there is my story of last night. Lucky they just drove away. But I now see that I need to be more ready and armed better.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom, Sorry that happened to you but it may save your life. Adjust your clothing so it will conceal a full size pistol. Get a good holster and a gun belt . Inside the waistband provides the best concealment and best ease of drawing. I carry my 15+1 9mm or my full size 357 with a 2.75″ barrel all summer. If I don’t have it on me I have it in my EDC that I carry or have next to me in the car.

If you really feel your 9 is to heavy get a new polymer gun, they are very light for the size and capacity.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Situational awareness is key, you may not have had the “proper” blaster but
    your gut carried you through.

Okay, the .380.
    After losing a long response because I walked away from the tablet too long, I will just say this, 9mm or better.

Glock 26/27/43, Walther PPS.

These are the smallest that are effective, controllable and still concealable.
    I keep considering all of them, but just can’t give up my .45s.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

You may not get all of them, but you may “get an a for effort”.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74 & Whirlibird So carry a 9mm on up. What about my wife?

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Ideally one of the same choices.

My wife stole my P7, carries it.

Think Mr and Mrs Smith, ‘why do i get the girl gun?’

Let her choose but the largest she can both conceal and handle.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Free,
    Most mfgs make a slim gun that holds 8-12 rounds. I’d want 10 at least in a 9mm.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

freedom, you were situationally aware, and they saw that you were. That is the most important part.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes MountainBiker they all saw me put my hand in my pocket of my pants and hold something they didn’t want to find out what it was. One thing they knew was that there was going to be a shootout and I think that even if they thought they would win they knew that there would be blood on there side too.

What I have learned is to carry a bigger hand gun with more ammo,, also my wife has learned that there are criminals everywhere. She is one that always thinks I am overreacting. Now she told me that she will remind me everyday to carry. Now I have to teach her to carry too. I will have her get a Concealed Carry Permit.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Sorry to hear about your event. I second the 9MM recommendation. Both my wife and I carry 9MM. As to the weight with a good belt or inside the waistband you tend to get used to it. When I first started carrying, it felt very heavy and ungainly. After a while, it became more natural.

Like the idea of one of the Cold Steel walking sticks. Going to research them.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Cold Steel African Walking Stick is the one I own. Very good, well made. I carry it because in my area there are a lot of Foxes and dogs that people let go so since I walk with my dog I do not want a dog from the street going at my dog. The walking stick is very strong.

This is the one I own, http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-2640-african-walking-stick.aspx
    There are many places that sell it online.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Situational awareness and being able to respond if needed is 10x more important than the weapon you carry with you, imo. It doesn’t matter if your Gold Cup is all decked out with the most awesomeness you could buy if you don’t recognize the exact time to react.

My EDC carry is a .22 mag mini revolver about 99% of the time and an M&P Shield in 9mm the rest of the time around town. It all really depends on how you feel about responding and what your training/comfort level is.

Personally, if I was living in Miami I would carry at least my 92a1 at night with a Surefire light to blind aggressors. Since I live in a less populated area with fairly low crime rate, I carry what I carry. That doesn’t mean that I don’t stick my 1911 in my belt when I am up in Tacoma……

All in all…. You dun good.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

sledjockey, I think you are right, I dun good. They(3 or 4of them) didn’t know what was in my pocket, for all they may had thought I had a .45. They did see when I put my hand in my pocket and grabbed something that was pointing at them inside my pants. So yes I did what I had to. I stopped it from going to the next step.

Now that it is over all I have been doing for the last 24 hours is going over everything in my head to figure out what or how to better prepare for the next time. Wife needs to carry too! Need to carry a 9mm min, be on the look out all the time since this always happens when you are not aware of your surroundings.

Here in Miami I have had some close calls in the passed but this is the first time that there were three to four of them at the same time so that got my blood to shoot up big time.

I had 10 years ago two men in a car drive right into my driveway when I was also driving in and stop there car right in front of my car. In that case I did pull out the .357 and they stop cold and slowly backed out of my driveway, I call the police but they police were not able to find them.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Scary to say the least . I agree with the advice above , 9mm or better , even the oddball 7.62×25 is better than the .380 . The Makarov was going to be one of my next pistols , as they carry very easy , I just dont like the 9×18 cartridge , if I find one that has been converted to 9mm luger , I’ll grab it .

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Thank you Free! Just ordered one for my wife and one for me. We often walk in the evening, and have been getting reports of gangbangers starting to talk about going to our area because the “rich” people are weak. A LEO that is a patient of my wife told her they are getting chatter about this.

Once again glad went well with you. Keep safe!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.