Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of feral hobbit
    feral hobbit
    Survivalist
    member2

I appreciate it.

...it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts...

Profile photo of feral hobbit
    feral hobbit
    Survivalist
    member2

I found a viewable PDF of it here.

http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/AF/AFH/afh10_222_v14.pdf

...it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts...

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks for re-posting the link.

Profile photo of Safety1st
    Safety1st
    member1

Any suggestions on perimeter security? I’m looking for something that can stop, or at least slow down a vehicle is some nutcase tries driving into my property. I have chain-linked fences up but those aren’t very reliable with a vehicle. I did some research and haven’t been able to come up with anything yet.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ditches and holes work well. Concrete barriers, barrels filled with sand, large diameter steel pipe installed like posts, fill with concrete. Angle them towards the direction of traffic for more effect. Large diameter steel cables anchored in concrete.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I’ve got a stone wall and being its been there for probably a couple hundred years, its a classic hiding in plain sight barrier. The driveway entrance itself only has a metal gate though, and not a heavy duty one at that so I’d have to figure out a solution there.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Large coral rocks will do it. Really any large rocks will do it.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Second on the ditches – they don’t have to be huge, just deep enough for the entire tire to sink up to the frame. 12 inches would take care of most cars, 18-24 for all but the biggest 4wd tires. 24 inches wide – 90 degee walls. Once you’ve got both tires in a ditch, even 4wd will have a serious challenge getting out. Plus, they are super easy to camoflage – just grow some taller grass at the bottom and let it grow up to the height of the rest. Let water fill it up for extra slippery barrier.

Another option would be to weave your chain link with a long cable that is grill high. Once that car has to drag down several fence posts that are cabled together it should be slowed quite a bit if not stopped.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Sorry to be so tardy to the party…

Stopping vehicles? Well, eventually they’ll find a way around or through your defenses, given enough time, but “dragons teeth” were popular.

Made of concrete, maybe 3 feet high. Some were simple – looked kind of like a pyramid someone tried to push over. Some were were made of steel and welded together. Didn’t look like much, but it would stop a tracked vehicle – heard them referred to once as “track breakers”.

Combined with other obstacles, like ditches and other traps, it would probably take an Engineering unit to cross a piece of ground…

Edit: The welded steel ones have the advantage of being “bullet transparent”, while the concrete ones would probably lend themselves well to giving your enemy cover. Those are thick concrete. Probably reinforced with rebar. Combine the two – concrete base sunk into the ground with steel I-beams welded together and bolted down to the concrete… give your enemy nothing…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Malgus! Nice to hear from you and see you’re still about

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Hi twee…

Yeah, I’m still here…. just really busy…

Will post a “hey, this is what I’ve been up to” post later on….

Peace..

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uk36r3s6Lo ditches useless against modern tanks unless massive and then remember it comes with engineering mech force to by pass any impediment as stated before.

that is why IED are so popular in war zones.

all they would do is bring a dozer blade equipped unit and move all the impediments only one way to stop that

so you can see most def against that scenario is RUN

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

namelus,

In a SHTF scenario, I seriously doubt Joe Baggadonuts and his hardy band of heroes will be going up against bonafied Combat Engineers.

And many rural folks have their own earth moving equipment. The guy across the street from me has a couple dozers, a gawdawful big backhoe, a trencher, a ground saw… so, making really big obstacles is a doable thing, so long as the diesel holds out…

Infinite monkeys – you get enough people together for a long enough period of time, and eventually one of them will figure out how to overcome or bypass your obstacles. Hunkering down with a “fortress” mentality will get you and yours very dead. Even the walls of Constantinople fell… they stood tall for a thousand years, but eventually someone figured out a way to knock a hole in them, and then the Turks rampaged in the city for 3 days – killing anything that moved…

These are meant as a deterrent… if you build them right, it will take an incredible effort to go through them safely. Anyone willing to build defensive works in depth probably has the bodies and the firepower to back it up…

Soooo… pack a lunch.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Malgus wrote:</div>Good stuff here…

Download, save it, print out several copies for your group… got some seriously good stuff on defensive works, MG positions, fighting positions, trenchworks, bunkers, effects of different things on you defensive works, such as bullets, explosives, etc.. really, really good stuff.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/97e3edt7lpvwmek/AFH10-222V14.pdf

Access to this link has been disabled. Must have been good.

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

Sure like to have that CE info. If anyone finds it somewhere else, please post it. Thanks.

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.