Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Cinnamon may protect against infection, study finds

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/06/01/cinnamon-may-protect-against-infection-study-finds/?intcmp=obmod_ffo&intcmp=obnetwork

I think this is a very important study for us preppers. This part of the article point out what cinnamon can do,
    “The results validates (sic) our belief that a diet that includes a tablespoon of cinnamon once or twice a day can be effective in eliminating or preventing viruses from infecting humans and causing sickness, such as colds, flu, and even herpes,”

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Problem 1: If memory serves, cinnamon isn’t native to deepest darkest Louisiana.
    Availability may be an issue.

Problem 2: Like most spices, it does have a finite lifespan for potency. You can’t store it like honey or salt.

Problem 3: I don’t know about you but I don’t think I could choke down that much in a day. Certain ethnic foods are high in various spices, but again you don’t want to eat those same foods day in and day out.

Interesting study though.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Tablespoon? That is a lot. Didn’t kids die from “cinnamon challenges” in that quantity?

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes a tablespoon! But this is in the day so you put it in your cereal, yogurt an so on. Also this is only when you see that you are getting sick. But yes it is a lot.

Whiribird, I think you maybe right on the lifespan for potency, I think it is one to two years. That maybe a problem here in Florida too.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

If memory serves, and please correct me if I’m wrong, best lifespan comes from unground sticks sealed away from oxygen and moisture.
    Something like 4’ish years for best potency.

However how old is it and what has it been exposed to before you purchase it?

Profile photo of borderpatrol
    borderpatrol
    Survivalist
    member1

Cold and viruses can be used minimized with elderberry extract. Can be done homemade with local ingredients too. I used 100 proof vodka for mine last year and was pleased with it. This year I will be freezing berries just enough to get them off heads. Haven’t had a cold in years. This stuff was research big time in Israel with excellent outcomes. Don’t except any studies here, no money to be made for big pharma. Here is a nice reference. http://scrimpalicious.blogspot.com/2011/09/elderberry-extract-how-to-make-it-and.html

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Old remedy I have tried , get a pot full of water , toss in a few sticks , let boil until the water is very dark brown . This takes about 45 min , to an hour ……………then drink it ( not the whole pot full ) . it perks you up fast , and gives you decent energy , but the affect is not long lasting as far as the energy part goes .

Profile photo of speakingtruth2you
    speakingtruth2you
    Survivalist
    member2

Sounds like cinnamon in this way is a good remedy for a bit of energy and for combating viruses.
    So border patrol, you put the elderberries in the vodka and let it sit for a bit?

speakingtruth2you

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I forgot about elderberry. We used to get warm, spiced elderberry wine to fix our sniffles as a kid. It worked and tasted great.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

For those interested, the google results for “medical properties of cinnamon” has a lot of links.

Cry, "Treason!"

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Tec, welcome back.

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Thanks! It’s a pleasure to be back.

Cry, "Treason!"

Profile photo of speakingtruth2you
    speakingtruth2you
    Survivalist
    member2

Visited the blog at Scrimpalicious. Fantastic blog.
    Thanks for sharing border patrol.
    Going to check out the cinnamon study and other links.

speakingtruth2you

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.