Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Okay, a multiple part review of the Cimarron 1911 chambered for the .45ACP cartridge.

First let me say that I took this in trade, it would not have been my first choice.

Finish:
    Okay its an original styled 1911, so high polish blue. Actually done decently, very little overbuffing or running of the lines.
    The blue on the mainspring housing is essentially gone, savaged by sweat and wear, it appears to be a diferent process than the rest of the gun.
    Certain parts are wrong, the hammer and trigger are the wrong style, length, etc, and were replaced with Colt originals.
    The sights are GI, meaning they reek at best.
    The only advantage to them is they are not going to snag on anything, ever.
    The grips, what can be said about the grips? Well apart from the frame having its grip screw holes in the wrong places and the grips cut to match, they are again the wrong style, but they are functional if not good looking.
    The ejection port is the later, modern low cut style, hardly original, but more functional if one reloads I will concede.

Fit/parts:
    Now I will get critical.
    Much of the internals are MIM parts, and are already in the trash can, I cannot abide junk parts in a working gun.
    These were also replaced with Colt originals or better.
    The slide to frame fit is fine, and even the barrel fit was good, but the barrel was not accurate. It was replaced with a GI chrome lined barrel.
    The trigger being an unusual length, and a poor fit, was replaced with an all steel Colt from my parts bin, not my usual choice, it however is period correct for a 1911.
    The hammer was replaced with a Colt series 80 I had on hand, it will get bobbed later to prevent hammer bite.
    The grip safety was extremely proud in the hand, so much so that the gun didn’t feel right. Another Colt part installed, it feels right now.
    The slide stop didn’t want to function properly when the slide was pulled back to release the slide, poorly cut it is too thin to modify, another Colt part.
    The sights will likely be replaced this afternoon, something visible to aging eyes.

Honestly, if I didn’t or hadn’t had all the parts needed on hand and the ability to do the work myself, this would not have been an economical trade. Nor would it have been a gun I purchased new at retail prices.

Looking at it practically, I put or am putting some $300 in parts into a $550ish retail gun. Plus labor.

If I had spent the same cash on a Springfield MilSpec, or added a little boot to get a Colt 1991, I’d have had a better gun. Minus the fun factor of course.

Pictures and range report to follow.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Thanks for the writeup. It is appreciated.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

I am assuming you gave up nowhere near the $550 or equivalent trade…?

Waiting to see how this turns out !

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Here’s a few pics to show some of the work/details.

Cimarron 1911 2

Cimarron 1911

Ya, it’s wearing Colt grips, but they feel better than the originals.
    The sights haven’t been done yet, work to do on customers guns.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Looks like a nicely used 1911 to me!
    But at this point I know NOTHING about stock parts, or improper replacement parts.
    I assume you changed the mismatched grips mentioned in a prior post…

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Ya, forgot to mention the grips, just couldn’t get the feel of the factory grips so they got swapped out.
    Note that the grips on the starboard side of the gun are sitting heavily to the rear.

The stock internals (sear, disconnector, etc) are MIM parts, and as such were replaced.
    MIM is a funny process, depending on part design it can be perfectly acceptable, in other places it just can’t handle the stress. The part may last 5 rounds, or 50,000 but you never know.

The barrel as mentioned was fit decently both at the hood and bushing but it wouldn’t group.
    The replacement was a GI chrome lined barrel I had in a parts bin stashed away, the bushing a National Match bushing that I fit to the gun/barrel.

A couple of magazines informally shot at 100Y and it grouped much better, the sights still reek but all of the shots were within 2′, not bad for junk ball to test function. I’ll take it out with some of my target ammo next and see what it will really do. Better sights will help immensely, I must be getting older, that high polish front sight just turned into one big reflective glob on the slide.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.