Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Children’s Bug Out Bag

February 24, 2013 at 9:58pm
    We have covered Bug Out Bags before but not for children. Here is a suggested list for those out there with children. And of course, you know your child better than anyone else so cater to them the best way you know. Children can not carry as much as an adult so keep that in mind when making their bag. I hope this helps you in putting together your child’s bag.

Food and Water:

• 6 high energy foods such as food bars or granola bars
    • Small jar of peanut butter
    • A few cans of tuna or chicken
    • Crackers or cereal stored in small tins or another air tight container
    • Small bottle of honey
    • 6 boxes or small bottles of water and packets of drink mix:( If the child is small, these items may be needed to be carried by someone bigger.)
    • Water purification tablets
    • A canteen or other suitable water bottle (to put purified water in)
    • Some hard candy or gum

Illumination and Communication

• A good LED flashlight
    • Spare batteries
    • 3 12-hour light sticks
    • Survival whistle
    • Old cd tided to a landyard or mirror

Clothing

• Sturdy change of clothes
    • 3 pairs of socks
    • 3 changes of underwear
    • Lightweight pair of shoes

Warmth

• Emergency space blanket or hooded space blanket
    • Emergency rain poncho for children
    • Warm gloves and beanie hat

Personal Hygiene

• Small bag with child’s toothbrush, toothpaste, hand sanitizer, 10 antibacterial moist towelettes
    • Small roll of toilet paper flattened in a ziplock bag
    • Baby wipes
    • First Aid
    • Small pocket sized first aid kit
    • 3 disposable tie-on surgical masks, these will protect the child against airborne bacteria and viruses.

Fun

• Deck of cards
    • Coloring book with crayons
    • Ball or similar small toy
    • Stuffed animal

Notes
    Every 6 months you should rotate the food and water.
    Children grow. Make sure the clothes and the spare shoes fit.
    Older children may be trusted with additional survival gear such as a multi tool, knife, and fire starting tools, just train them well and trust your gut instincts.
    Get your child to be active in the choices especially the entertainment choices. They will be happier for it.
    Take hikes and camp with the whole family carrying the bug out bags; with the kids bug out bag being carried by the kid. As soon as everyone -kids included- carries and uses their own gear the whole family will be stronger, happier, and much better prepared for disaster.
    If bag is for infant, parent should have separate diaper bag that is carried by the parents.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Thanks so much for this terrific round-up, as well as the other related post. While I don’t have children, these are all good things to keep in mind as a responsible prepper, because who knows when a neighbor’s children might come to me in need if mom and dad can’t be found when SHTF? I could probably turn away unprepared adults (“grasshoppers”), but I don’t think I could turn away children. So, it wouldn’t hurt to prep for one or two extra little ones, based on your location and the specific community around you, even if you don’t have any, yourself, so it’s great to get perspective from someone who’s got the low-down!

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Thank you, as a mom I felt that it could be needed by those in all areas.I have two kids my self, one being four and the other 16. I know my father and other family felt that the same. You never know when a little person may be found and need help as well. I am going to also post for a bug out bag thats friendly to girls and women.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of Kollaps
    Kollaps
    Survivalist
    member3

Another bit from my own experience: Skittles.

Skittles can be used for a sugar boost, as a reward, a barter item, and also to color those coloring books. A plastic spoon with some water in it and a Skittle becomes an ink-well. Takes time to dry, but it is fun, cheap, and multipurpose.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks for the info, often kids are forgotten in their needs.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Great list. I agree with Kollaps little treats can go a long way, also for calming down kids (bribing them to be quiet and distracting them hehe).

Another thing that I think is really important and you listed Gypsy is the emergency whistle. I carry one myself in my EDC because often just being able to signal is enough to get people out of problematic situations.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of lci115lewis
    lci115lewis
    Survivalist
    member3

Rather than old CDs for a mirror take apart an old hard drive from a desktop computer, there are some great magnets in there and the disks themselves are nice metal mirrors. The disks inside laptop hard disks are usually glass or other fragile lite material and they shatter easily.

My kids love playing with the magnets (just don’t give them 2 at once, they are really strong and will really pinch hard if a finger gets between 2). The laptop drives do have usable magnets so you can at least use those from a junked drive, and many of the drive cases are aluminum so you could either melt them down if you do any metal casting or take them to the recycling yard for some extra money.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Thanks and yes bribery goes far with a four year old lol

George S. Patton

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Thank you for the list. To be able to see other parents list for their children is reassuring.
    I would maybe add a steel cup that could fit under the water bottle.
    Spoon.
    Belt (attach flashlight / water bottle)
    Small bottle with Coconut oil to prevent sunburn. Can also be used in cooking.
    Small map of area. Some contact details of relatives. Money
    Travel documents

Teach your child how to open can food. A small compass (attached to the zipper) also keeps them busy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.