Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Have only been keeping chickens for a few years so haven’t had too many problems with them other than frostbite this past winter. But I thought this list/post from Fresh Eggs Daily was a good one for chicken first aid. A few on it I need to stock. Thought it would be useful for others here:

Click

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Seems like she has elevated her chickens to pet level. Which is okay when you have a small flock for eggs. If you have a bigger flock and plan to eat some of them the old adage about never naming your farm animals comes to mind.

It is a nice first aid kit for animals. You can use blue coat on any animal, probably humans if need be.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Haha! My niece recently learned the lesson of not naming farm critters when ‘Butterball’ became dinner for a fox.

Yes, the lady loves her chickens, but I think the stuff is good to have in general. If you are donw to your last few chickens might come in handy.

I have separate supplies for the cattle and horses.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

It’s tough enough to lose a pet to anything, but to chop off butterball’s head off would be horrible. My grandparents were farmers and had about 100 birds. One day when I was 3 or 4 years old grandma takes me out to the chicken house to catch one. I use a foot hook, birds running everywhere crazy. Grandma takes the bird outside and has a small hachet, without saying anything she gives it a chop and lets go. Omg I thought it was crazy in the bird house, now the headless chicken is running and flapping like the proverbial chicken with it’s head cut off. Some memories never fade.

RROAMM
    RROAMM
    Survivalist
    member2

Thanks for the info Tweva, We just started our flock and have been looking for something like this.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Your welcome RRoamm. I’ll post what I keep/feel I need for cattle and horses if someone could use it as a place to start, soon.

1974 – My first boyfriends mother was raised on a chicken farm. When she left the farm she never ate another chicken – wouldn’t eat turkey either. My problem is with rabbits – even if I don’t name them. Now I just keep them for garden fertilizer and sell them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.