Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

This story got me thinking more about bartering in SHTF situation. We barter now for various items like fish and services. I traded some of our elk (got three this year) for wild caught salmon recently.

Best to think what this might look like pre-SHTF.

‘Chicken for diapers: Bartering abounds in scarcity-stricken Venezuela’

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/venezuela/article47429270.html

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Chester – For some reason Kaspersky gave me a “phising alert” on the link the first time. I blocked it, exited and then clicked on it again. No problem the second time.
    Robin

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Story is from Miami Herald website. Video tells the story.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

‘Chicken for diapers: Bartering abounds in scarcity-stricken Venezuela’ This is big news for Venezuela, NOT big news for Cuba which have been bartering for over 50 years now.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

In the last few months I noticed people bartering more. Even swopping vehicles. People are being paid for services with bicycles. I’ve been swopping rabbits for animal food. The pawn shops in South Africa are growing business. They collect at your house. Fix and repair and sell again. I buy second hand clothes often. Even very fancy party dresses I’ve worn to weddings…second hand. I support a church that collects for orphanages and old age homes.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

The fact that the people in power causing this suffering can sleep at night proves that evil is real. Unbelievable. Sure it’s not 100% them, but you know what I mean.

The good news is that trade outside of the system is actually kind of a sign of life, a subtle shift towards self reliance and, with the right people and mindset, a shift towards stronger communities.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

I thought about a lot of things today. About lazy people, even the ones that’s too lazy to think or make up their minds for themselves. And the evil ones that simply take. Not only take but hurt and kill. They are the ones that will suffer the day they die, the ones we should feel sorry for.

I feel good after I’ve done something, work that I’ve been trying to finish. I am excited when there is a possibility that I can do something for myself for a few hours. Even if that means hard labour in the summer heat that’s going to make me thirsty and really tired. Work is good for the soul – it actually makes you happy.

Old people that safed money and looked after the few things they worked for during their life… lazy young people now look at them and think it is not fair that they’ve got a vehicle and a house and a so many trees with fruit. They kill them simply because “its not fair” . They are not willing to barter. Not to work and then get paid for it. Not even to not kill if begged to take everything, but do not hurt us

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

Leopard it is because of sense of entitlement we are here we deserve the same as you just because we are. Secondly they are not responsible for anything always someone else’s fault that causes their failure not their own lack of skills and effort nor any of the choices they made. If you have something and we do not it is our right to take it and balance things like a twisted robin hood, how dare you work hard and have more than us who do nothing.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Certainly food for thought. Thanks your comments.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

My grandparents had a small homestead ranch during the great depression , barter was a common way of life at that time , because people didnt have any money . They would trade beef for what they needed .

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Of course, even barter is now officially required for reporting to the IRS so we can pay “appropriate” “income” tax on it. So says our “Uncle”:

Bartering is the exchange of goods or services. Usually there is no exchange of cash. An example of bartering is a plumber exchanging plumbing services for the dental services of a dentist. You must include in gross income in the year of receipt the fair market value of goods or services received from bartering.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc420.html

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Well, if I donate one of my paintings to a fundraising organization/conservation group, they only allow me the cost of materials for a tax deduction. That’s apparently what the value must be if I barter my artwork for something…makes sense.

Barter now and learn how to do it. I love it…but am making no statements. Good practice for the future.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by wildartist wildartist.
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

I always liked Sergeant Schultz on Hogan’s Heroes: “I know nothing!” ;)

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

I always figured that trading my work for someone else’s was a wash — each gains about what he gives. But a couple of friends, doing favors for each other, wherein neither makes any money, nevertheless incur monetary debts to the grabbyment by so doing? Really? There’s a proper payment for that.

Hey taxman! Yer payoff’s right here, down by where I’m feedin’ my hungry hogs. Come an’ get it! ;-)

Cry, "Treason!"

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

I put it in the same absurd category as assessing taxes on the interest on a multi-year bank certificate of deposit in which the interest compounds. But no! “Uncle” says that is “income” in the year credited to the account, and therefore taxable that year. The same holds true if someone owns stock and has the dividends automatically reinvest in new shares. Never mind that you don’t actually “get” the interest on the CD or the dividends on the stock (as in get to spend it for anything, or get to realize any benefit from it) until the year the CD matures or the year you sell the stock (and either make or lose money on it).

GS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.