Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7
    Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

$150 for a .22lr scope is cheap? What am I missing about this scope that makes it cheap?

I found a Simmons for $35 for one .22 and a Barska for $20, both on sale. I consider those cheap……. and I spend STUPID money on guns including $2.5k for a 50 BMG. Seriously, what am I missing about this scope?

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Davey Crickett 4x32mm Mini Scope Mil-Dot Reticle Matte Black: $35.00 Must be 50 scopes below $50.00 at opticsplanet. I only stopped at this one because it’s a mildot.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

There is always a difference between cheap and inexpensive.

I break cheap.
    Regularly.

I break inexpensive less.

What’s the difference?
    The Weaver K2.5 I used on my FAL, a .45-70 and a litle .308 carbine cost under $50, but held up to more than scopes costing hundreds more.

Picked up a Simmons 1.5-5 a while back, it went away, parallax set for 75y. Just couldn’t get decent groups with it.

Why am I running a $700 scope on my .22? Because I can.
    Because a $60 scope wouldn’t give the groups I needed to win.
    Its a bargain when I consider what it’s done and what its held up to.

Like good boots, optics is one placw one shouldn’t economize.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

this has windage/ elevation for 22 already marked. 150 for a descent optic is cheap, more correctly as whirl put it inexpensive compared to crap.

most expensive gun… antique mauser 9.3 mm. bought for $300 in garage sale valued at crazy sum.was in back behind seat of pick up for two seasons before i took it in. was wrapped in an old wool blanket no scope.

all the non queens safe ones are still into 2 to 5 k range cheapest are the shotty. nicest looking gun was a trilling hand made in Germany, won that on a bet on a mountain sheep shot 1000 yards with a beat up looking m14.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Putting a $700. Scope on a 10/22.. I’ll pass on that one. I had a 4 power scope on the gun for 20 years. I’m sure I didn’t pay over 40 bucks for it, I don’t even remember what it is, it’s never failed, if I don’t hit it with a hammer it never will fail.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

would you say the same 74 if that was last gun you had, which you relied on for everything? would you say boy i wish i bought a cheaper one, or would you say damn glad i have the best one?

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I would say, “damn I am glad that I only spent $50 on this scope and the rest on a Glock with extra rounds.”

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Namelus,
    I don’t think I have ever wished I paid more for anything in my entire life.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I’m looking to get my dad a reasonable scope for his .22 for his birthday this summer… hoping to spend under $50. Doesn’t have to be the best ever, just has to be on target at 100yds and maybe look purdy.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whitenight,
    A 22lr specific scope is unnecessary, buy whatever tickles your fancy as long as it fits the gun.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whitekinght,
    These are the qualities I look for in a scope first.
    Waterproof, fogproof, gas-filled. Shock proof. Fully coated lenses provide maximum brightness, clarity and contrast. 

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Plain vanilla old school steel tube El Paso Weaver. K1.5, K2, K4, K6, etc… you can drive nails with them and not have a zero shift. (Okay, maybe not drive nails, but they are pretty damn tough.) Almost nothing breaks on them, since there is almost nothing to break.

No fancy schmancy BDC’s or laser rangefinding widgets or flash lights or Infrared night vision zombie homing device reticles or anything like that. Meaning, you have to know your stuff ahead of time. You have to have skill – range estimation, knowing your particular load’s trajectory, how to shoot up- and down-hill, doping the wind, etc. In short, all the skills that our grandfathers had because all that fancy-schmancy high-speed go fast junk didn’t exist.

Plus, the old school Weavers are unbelievably inexpensive considering what they are. They are definitely NOT “cheap”. They’re just old, and loads of new shooters don’t even know that they exist. I have a few and the one that’s on top of the Marlin .22 Mag is a guaranteed first shot headshot on pretty much anything out to about 125 yards. You can also have these fine old scopes refurbished – glass re-coated, bodies re-blued, etc, for reasonable coin…

Here.. took me 3 seconds to find this. 1960’s-era steel tube El Paso Weaver K4 60-B, NOS, time capsuled in the original box. Never mounted, never used. 175 bucks, out the door. Man, you just can’t get any better than that…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Weaver-K4-60-B-Rifle-Scope-NOS-COMPLETE-/161634676781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a22d702d

[attachment file=”Weaver steel K4 60-B.JPG”]

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Putting a $700. Scope on a 10/22.. I’ll pass on that one. I had a 4 power scope on the gun for 20 years. I’m sure I didn’t pay over 40 bucks for it, I don’t even remember what it is, it’s never failed, if I don’t hit it with a hammer it never will fail.

There’s a difference between a rack grade 10-22 and a Volquartsen 10-22.
    When the wind is low and I have a good rest and use good ammo, groups under 2″ at 100y are easier than you’d think.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirly,
    I’m happy with the $200. 10/22 I have. Trying to upgrade and improve every gun just gets to expensive with no measurable returns. Shooting sports turn into a contest of who can spend the most money. At the amateur level this habit is a drain on resources better spent elsewhere.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.