Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

As I was thinking about heating hot water for domestic use it occurred to me that a cast iron radiator could be used laid on it’s side in a fireplace replacing the normal grate. A circulation loop can be installed and the hot water plumbed to any use desired. It could be used for domestic hot water or it could be used in conjunction with hot water baseboard heating systems. The system would need a pressure relief valve suitably located where discharged water would not cause damage.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Aren’t you tricky 74! Certainly an idea.

I have a hot water tank on the side of my woodstove that is connected to my water lines that I can turn on and off as needed. Makes it simple, although the plumbers bill was something I had to save up for. Heck the wood stove wasn’t cheap.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tweva,
    I’m beyond tricky and clever somewhere approaching creative and inventive. Wood stoves are normally only direct radiation devices if you have one with a boiler your lucky. I don’t have a good place for a wood stove and because of their heat distribution limitations it’s not feasible for me. But I do have two fire places and I could convert the one in the basement for hot water in the method I proposed. That could be tied into the current hot water pipes or run through the extra tank for a larger supply.

If you wanted extra hot water capacity it really would not be hard to convert a 55 gallon plastic drum into a holding tank. Using a recirculating system run through the radiator and the drum. Of course I would conduct a test by boiling a few pieces of drum to see what happens first, but they are amazingly tough, I have no doubt they can withstand 150 degrees or so.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Great idea! Being able to take a hot shower is the one item I’ve yet to have a solution for post-SHTF. Of course implementing what you describe is easier said than done for those of us who aren’t jacks of all trades.

If you have fireplaces, something to keep an eye out for at tag sales or such are stoneware pots. Brand new they are pretty pricey. I took a course in hearth cooking a few years back and we used stoneware right in the fire and they worked great. Ordinary ceramic type pots and earthenware will crack if used in a fireplace. Having cast iron pots work too, and again given how pricey the good ones (Lodge) are, always keep an eye out for any folks are letting go. On that topic, be very wary of cast iron made in China. There is no telling what kind of junk metal (think engine blocks) they might have used. You don’t want your food absorbing poisons that way. Lodge cast iron of any age or old pre-China cast iron made in the US is what you want.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MTB,
    Plumbing is really not that difficult. Plus installing new work is always easier then fixing old stuff. Having the right tools is half of the battle as well.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Take a look at this Pinterest page of ideas on hot water in SHTF – I like the top right idea and the hillbilly myself. Might help someone. If you click on the top right picture of the water heate/shower built-in combo, with rocket stove bottom, then click on the via ‘Tom Keifer’ you’ll see…he has collected some good stuff on his boards you might want to check out. 74 you’ll have a blast if you do I bet.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Oh man Tweva, like I need more ideas and projects………..if I quit working for money I could get some things done. Or If I quit thinking I’ll make money working I could get things done. If I made real money working I would have time to get things done. The problem with those clones… turns out their all old and worn out like the original.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

74 ..remember…mind is the builder! If u believe u r old n worn out thst is exactly what u will experience. At 58..I choose to believe ‘I am happy, healthy, young n beautiful’…. -even though the mirror n darkest hours may try n tell me different. Read DAle Carneige or L ouise Hay…not saying is easy…, always lots of individual ‘stuffz’ to work thru…but U really CAN change yr life..no one else ..Imho ..except whomever runs the world…thru grace. Off my personal soapbox. Goodnite everyone…sun WIll rise..tmrw. Best…

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Does Dale sell pain relief? Cause he can’t help me much after a hard day unless he does.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Silly,…u know he doesnt. I dont mean to make lite of physical pains. But I still stand behind my comment…with my 4 back, 5 hand, 1 neck surgeries….the brace on my right leg that goes everywhrre I do….and oh so much more. Bless u 74.Sorry I struck a nerve, I do know pain nonetheless. Dale and others have done more for me than drugs.But that is jusr me.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Twee,
    No nerves, your just inferring things that im not intending. It’s easy to do. Don’t worry about it, not a problem.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Sorry 74 – a little abnormally overly touchy and jumpy last 2 days. A friend is dying in the hospital of colon cancer and there is nothing to be done. I hate feeling so helpless. Thanks for your understanding!

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Mountain Biker, think of using rocks. Nice round creek/river bottom style. Put them in the fireplace/stove/heater and let them get hot. Put in a device with holes (or a hose you can clamp off) and add water for your shower.
    Robin

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Robin, So we’re making a sauna now, I like it.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Robin, river bottom style rocks we have aplenty here. A word of caution though is hot rocks will break, sometimes explosively, if hit with cold water, though I’m sure with a little experimentation that a workable arrangement could be made. What this line of thinking reminds me of are the absolutely ingenious Shakers who gave themselves a lifestyle well above that of the general public. If any here have the chance to visit a Shaker museum property do so because they are chock full of things that might give you useful ideas. There is a great one in Hancock, MA which is between the NY border and Pittsfield, MA. They did a lot more than just make classic furniture.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.