Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of libbylindy
    libbylindy
    Survivalist
    member4

Has anyone ever canned on a wood cook stove before? I just acquired one, and my mother used to cook on one. She is now 95 and can’t remember very well specifics about it, and I don’t think she canned on it anyway. I haven’t used it yet, but this is my back up to survival canning. I think the water bath canning will be fairly simple and straightforward, but I am a bit nervous about keeping the pressure correct on the pressure canner. Has anyone tried it before? I am excited to get started! Whether I am brave enough to pressure can on it, I certainly plan to practice cooking and baking with it. I am sure that baked and roasted food will come out terrific. It just takes practice.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

With a woof stove canning, you learn your hotspots and cooler spots on the range. When I can on the top I have learned to slowly move the canner to the areas it tends to keep the pressure at. Just very slowly moving it into a great spot. each time you do this you’ll get better at it. My mother taught me to do it with water filled jars inside for the first few times till I found the spot on my own. that way your not wasting any food.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of libbylindy
    libbylindy
    Survivalist
    member4

Thank you, Gypsy! That is a great help. I will definitely take your advice and start with canning water. What a great idea! I have been so afraid to move a pressure canner when it is under pressure. It rather scares me a bit. I will have to be very careful.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Mostly moving it you’ll get the extra noisy steam sound, but once you figure it out on the stove top you wont have to worry about it again. You can also mark the stove top with something to make a ring showing you where to put it after.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.