Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I personally would trust the 90% pre-1964 silver in a SHTF time. I know them and I have collected them in the passed. In a SHTF barter will be very important so people will barter food for tools they need or food or tools/items for silver pre-1964, other types of silver you need to be careful since there are many silver and gold plated items that look like they are the real thing.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

freedom, concerning household silver items (trays, bowls etc), while it may be difficult to pick out forgeries, at a minimum you can eliminate from consideration items not marked as being sterling. We used to have multiple boxes full of silver items that had belonged to my in-laws. Our last move was a downsizing which caused us to get rid of a lot of stuff. Concerning the silver we set aside the items we liked the most or that had sentimental value, and then for the rest I carefully reviewed each item to determine which were sterling vs silver plate. Anything sterling I kept of course and the silver plate stuff we just gave away. Looks real nice but not really worth much.

http://www.realorrepro.com/article/Confusing-marks-on-silver-and-silverplate

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of MountainBiker MountainBiker.
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks for the link MountainBiker, I think we need to print this info which would help in a SHTF time.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I do have some rounds, but mostly coinage. I have both junk (pre 64 coins) and new Eagles.

For rounds I bought Sunshine minting because of the handy verification seals that reveal “valid” under their plastic decoding window. Stamped right into the silver. So it is very unlikely that someone would question that they’re real. However, I accept the risk that Joe Public might not take them anyway, which is why they’re a small portion of my stash. I wouldn’t go for any of the other mints to be honest.

Best stick to commonly recognized coinage, as said by others (US and Canadian Mints are obviously best around the US and Canada). I believe gold will be good for bribes. I’ve got the 1/10th oz gold eagles so I can bribe sparingly haha.

I don’t have much of the stuff and quite frankly am not worried about being robbed as a result. Also, it’s well hidden and protected… not to mention entering my home unannounced is a serious safety hazard.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

a glimpse inside differences between asian and western mind set, it barely touches surface, shows why winning in western terms is not the same for asians and why we need to worry about our goals and definitions winning as we are playings same game different goals and different rules.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Namelus, one of the things this points out is a massive failing of our own State Department (and other agencies). We simply don’t understand the thinking of other cultures, and if they don’t behave in a manner consistent with our own view of “normal,” we fear them, and want to subdue them, or even subject them. After all, if they don’t think the way we do, they’re “wrong.”

And thus, we keep ending up wondering what happened (from the old saying that there are three types of people in the world: those that make things happen, those what watch things happen, and those that wonder what happened).

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Thanks, namelus! I’m still learning. There are ways in which all human beings are alike. For instance, nobody willingly gives up home ground, if there’s reasonable hope of defending it. But western individualism and the community consciousness of the east are different. We don’t always see the world in the same way.

Cry, "Treason!"

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.