Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of benjammin
    benjammin
    Survivalist
    member2

Trying to come up with easy, lightweight, and reasonably nutritious pack meals that can be prepared just by adding boiling water and waiting a bit. So far I have succeeded with four. A thermos made for food is helpful.

My first one was a beans and rice dish. Consists of 1/4 cup Mexicali Rose instant refried beans, 1/4 cup minute rice, and 1 tsp ancho or southwest seasoning blend. Add one cup of boiling water, and in about 5 minutes you have about 300 calories of goodness. My daughter got hooked on this dish. I like vacuum sealing it in plastic bags. It is quite a light load for the caloric content.

Besides ramen, does anyone else have any instant meal recipes like this?

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Cous Cous.
    Equal parts Cous Cous and water.
    Little olive oil.
    Butter if you have it.
    Salt, pepper, parsley.
    Parmesan cheese.

Boil the water with the oil and butter in it.
    Add spices.
    Pour in the Cous Cous, remove from heat and cover. Wait 5-6 minutes.
    Fluff with fork not spoon, adding Parmesan to taste. Adjust spices as needed.

Basmati rice is pretty much the only rice you can cook here that doesn’t make a sticky mess.

Basmati rice
    Chicken bouillon/stock
    Salt
    Butter
    Parsley

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I agree , cous cous , cooks in no time , and you can add anything to it for a meal . I made my own 24 hr ration packs , just grab a box and go . I use the LRRP mains for the base , 3 in each box . Made by the same company that makes Mountain House freeze dried meals . Decent amount of food in a small package ( LRP ration mains ) .
    Lentils are easy to make . The red ones are smaller , so they cook faster .

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Benjammin, your refried beans and rice sounds quite good.

I am not much of a cook and only ever use a recipe for making bread, but I have found that mixing odds and ends together so as to have different textures and tastes can generally make something interesting.

As for things that can be made just adding boiling water, to whatever the main ingredient is, throwing in a little spice or dried onions or dried anything can make the bland into something edible. Most “dried anything” I would add after the cooking is done so as to add different textures. Even just crumbling some crackers or throwing in some bread crumbs or whatever can make all the difference.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10
    benjammin
    Survivalist
    member2

I tried another experiment. Local grocer carries microwavable mac & cheese cups (just add water to line, nuke for 3 minutes, stir and eat). I decided to boil an equivalent amount of water and combine with noodles and cheese mix in a thermos instead of microwaving. Put on the lid and shook a couple times and 5 minutes later added some rehydrated chicken breast bits and some rehydrated mushrooms.

It works pretty darned good too. So I will continue to stock up on non-freeze dried items like this for just add water meals.

Also discovered Uncle Bens makes a quick cooking herb and rice blend that you can do in a thermos as well, and tastes great and has good mouth feel. Added a little dehydrated crumbled spam and gobbled it down.

benjammin
    Survivalist
    member2

Here’s a link to the item. They say 10 minutes. After adding the boiling water to the thermos with the rice mix in it and screwing on the lid, mine was ready in about 7 minutes. I shook it a couple times while it rehydrated. It was a lot of food in that thermos, almost more than I could eat by myself at one time.

benjammin
    Survivalist
    member2
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Instant oatmeal and brown sugar. When my wife had gall bladder problems she used to eat it with skim milk. She took off a lot of weight by eating every two hours, no hunger impulses. Fat free diet for several months until removal. I called it her survival diet or skin and bones special. 156 pounds down to 123.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.