Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

I have found a couple of bugs, at least they happen on my computer anyway.

1. Pages, sections, threads, whatever, are very slow to load compared to other forums I have experience with;
    2. When I look at a thread I see a heading text overlayed with a graphic text with the same words.

I’d also like to make a couple of suggestions:

1. That each board shown on http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/ also show the last thread that was commented on, when, and by whom. This would let us know if there is something new since the last time we looked;
    2. That each individual thread show the name of the last person to comment and when it happened, for the same reason as in point 1 above.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Thanks for the feedback. Do the threads load slower than other pages on the website such as Selco’s posts on the blog?

What browser and operating system do you use to see the headings like that? Could you send a screenshot to mail [at] shtschool.com?

I will try to make a central area where you can see all recent activity in detail. That’s a great idea. To implement it like on other forums might be a bit tricky with the system we use here but I will look into that as well.

We need to use this forum system because it is well integrated in our new course system (so all users can just use one user account for the complete site).

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Thanks, Jay. The odd looking headings haven’t been happening to day, so maybe it was a temporary anomaly; if it happens again I’ll let you know,

I find all Selco and shtf pages slow to load compared to the many other websites I visit each day. I have a fibre to the home connection and a fast computer, and I use windows 7 and firefox. The slowness is most noticeable when I try to step through the various pages and threads in this group of boards on this forum; each one takes about 10-20 seconds to begin loading and complete.

If I notice anything else that may be useful info I’ll pass it on.

Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Thanks a lot. I will have to look into content distribution services. There is not much other things I can optimize with this system.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

The main site is now caching content. It should be a bit faster now.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Jay, I’d like to add another suggestion. On many forums there is an icon with each thread that allows the returning member to click and go directly to the first post made since they were there last time. For example, if I last read post number 45 in the ABCXYZ thread, the icon would return me to post number 46 when I come back later.

This would be invaluable when the post count here start rising to high numbers.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Yeah, I think there could be a number of improvements for this. I will get back to it when I have time.

Profile photo of rcupini
    rcupini
    Survivalist
    member1

Hi Jay. Hope you doing good.

When I opened the home page to sign-up first time, (I’m using chrome) the password input didn’t apply password mask, my password was shown as plain text.

Maybe a problem related to watermark used in these components.

After that, I posted that message in a wrong topic :), but I didn’t find any ways to delete the message.

Just to report, thanks.

Rodrigo Cupini

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Thank you Rodrigo, I will look into this.

Profile photo of amagra11
    amagra11
    Survivalist
    member1

One suggestion: Do you think there could be a section with recommendations for EXCELLENT prepper websites and other resources, besides Selco’s? For example, there’s Listening to Katrina, which someone else suggested. Excellent site. If we had recommendations like that in one particular section, it would make them easier to find.
    Mainly, I’m thinking sites from people who have firsthand experience of disasters. For example, there’s one page from someone called “Father Frog” who talks about someone’s experiences with Hurricane Katrina, and a bit about Hurricane Sandy. http://www.frfrogspad.com/disastr.htm
    And then there’s the book “The Ultimate Suburban Survivalist Guide,” which is also really good; part of it tells you how to prepare for the most statistically likely scenarios, namely, house fire and flood.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Jay, I now find there are so many new topics and replies it’s become too difficult to keep track of what has been posted since the last visit, and I am sure I am missing some posts. I also can’t tell what is already read previously from what is new unless I open up every thread. I imagine others have this problem too.

I know I could subscribe, but I don’t want my email box filled with new deliveries in such a quantity, and new topics aren’t subscribed anyway. The list of recent activity at the top of the forum page only shows the most recent half dozen replies and topics.

The forum appears to be successful with lots of traffic, but that success can make it suffer if people find it too hard to find new posts since the last time, I’m thinking.

Is there any way you can help us to quickly find what has been posted since the last visit? Thanks.

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Hi, Jay – loving the site!

I second Elijah’s request for perhaps a longer list of “Recent Topics” and “Recent Replies.” Could clicking one of those titles on the right-hand side of the page perhaps lead to a longer list, so you don’t have to worry about cluttering up the quick-look? That would be so helpful, given all the great advice that is happening, here.

I’d also love to be able to PM other members, but maybe that’s already a part of the forum and I just don’t know how to use it? Sorry, if that is the case; it may be connected to main site, too.

Thank you for all the work on this – just reading it gets overwhelming, so I can only imagine what doing behind-the-scenes looks like! :)

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Thanks, yes I will set something up to see more recent activity. Good idea!

Amagra11, the books and media page is good for that. If you start a thread called “your favorite prepper websites and resources” and list a couple I can make it a sticky thread and others can add more.

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Thanks very much, Keymaster! :)

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I didn’t pick that title myself! :P Came with the system, but sounds cool right? hehe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.