Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Let’s talk about bug out vehicles. I am not talking here only about type and look of your vehicle. Let s say that we may be in position that we must spend several days or even weeks in vehicle, driving (and living in) until we get to safe location.

What vehicle would you take and what equipment?

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Well Selco, if I have to leave my BOL where I already am, then things have gotten pretty bad. So I would saddle up my horse, add my saddle roll with bedding and clothes in it and the saddle bags/packs with my BOB supplies. It would depend on the situation whether or not I would also take my draft cross horse to pack out other supplies. I think I could stay clear of trouble easier and for longer on horseback from here.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tweva, I think you have the best bug out vehicle! Your vehicle the horse is slower but it can go any were that a vehicle can not which means that it will be hard for anyone to find you.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

If I can use a motorized vehicle, I have an extended cargo van that has a 3800 lb. cargo capacity. If could acquire one some how, I would go for a big dump truck with a snow plow for pushing my way through barriers.
    Bicycle backup.

Loaded with all the guns, ammo, food, clothes, and tools it will carry. I have one piece of 1/2 steel plate I came by for armor. I should probably buy more just in case but they weigh about 300 lbs each. So I would lose 900 pounds of other cargo.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I want a big tandem wheel dump truck with snow plow! Perfect 1974! LOL! Get the hell out of my way people! Love it!

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

My BOV of choice would be a regular pick up truck like many use in my area. Nothing fancy but enough room to keep some preps. Plus I can transport a kayak that I can use to head down some streams to get to another more remote area. I do not plan to move too far once SHTF because we already live in a pretty remote area.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974, I would take in the van the motorcycle!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Maybe Freedom, It uses a lot of space in a van though. MC has lot of advantages but also some real liabilities.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Agree here with Jay, something regular but still strong enough to pull me trough some problems and carry pretty much stuff.

Something that I can use for sleeping in with some adjustments (plus tent or similar), vehicle that is easy to maintain (on short run), with “usual” parts, and if possible without electronic stuff.

I like the idea of taking some motorcycle or bike in vehicle with me.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco,
    I have a low small trailer I could haul the Motorcycle on plus some extra stuff. I don’t like trailers because it makes backing up harder, the stuff is exposed, and in real emergency driving, like we’re gonna go fast, around and over stuff the trailer is a liability. However even a small tow vehicle can pull a small trailer and add a tremendous amount of hauling capacity.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974, is the van 1976 or older?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

ho no pretty new, I use it for work every day, I need it for heavy loads and it protects my stuff when I have to leave it in the van. It blends right in to normal life, there are millions of the things driving around for businesses doing service work. You know, a white van. If we have an EMP attack I don’t want to use it, at least not right away. A running vehicle will attract to much attention. The movie the gauntlet comes to mind.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Much is going to depend on what’s happened.
    Around here, if SHTF is a major blizzard, you ain’t going anywhere without a sled (snow machine) or a horse. It is that simple.

EMP? There are a lot of older vehicles, but how far will they make it.

For all realistic BO situations, we’re taking two vehicles.
    The Suburban and my Bronco.
    We can carry enough food and supplies as well as the kids and dogs.

Gear?
    Tents, sleeping bags, the normal camping gear. (Around here, winter gear is year round for most areas)
    Pioneer tools (axe, shovels, adz, pick/mattox, chainsaw and accessories, hardware, etc)
    Fire grate, chuckwagon box
    (http://blueskykitchen.com/tent_products.html

http://scoutmastercg.com/chuck-boxes-and-camp-kitchens/)

And more.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

If just one or two people, quads are not a bad option. They can pull small trailers if need be and the MPG is pretty good on them too. I used to race cross country style on them. It is amazing the places you can take them if you know what you are doing. However they don’t provide much shelter in and of themselves.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

My escape route is the river (100 ft to bluff above river) and if I have time I will use a UTV (John Deere Gator wanna-be) to get out of the area. Stuff will be stashed so I will not go too far. Having said that it would depend if my group has made it here.

Robin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.