Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

I FAILED…hit me like a slap, i been trying to get on the road all week, one thing after another and finnaly i was ready, my other posting check list, wasnt good enough. sure i gave visual, but it wasnt untill i actualy inspected..

had shtf and i was bugging out with my family, the hoards a coming or the clouds dropping on us… i double checked first aid, food bag and water, tools supplies, cloths, hygene, bla bla…and someone mentions spark plugs i thaught maybe i should do a better inspection on the car, naw its good. i just gave it a visual look over. but this morn off i go and no battery power. cracked terminals and contact corrosion. ill just say not even a dash light. i was confident i done a good pre-trip, but woke to a dead car and doomed family had the time come…
    thaught i would just post it, i will be honest i do take for granted the car will always work when i need it, { i take care of it so just glance over things cause its such a good little car } needless to say i bought two new battery clamps and washed battery and conections with warm water and baking soda, gets rid of corrosion.jump start and now runs no prob…. next goal is to leave at 7am tomorrow morn 1000km. contact outside Prince George by 4pm with partner….here we go.

Prepare, Preserve, Protect...

Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

i hope you all can see the humor in this, i am terrible with birthdays, holidays, so this morn when the car wouldnt even push start {standard } i says ” thats it..we died” in the spirit of learning we are re-born… HAPPY RE-BIRTHDAY HONEY… as it turns out i got a hug n kiss…it is her birthday today…funny thing is ill probably remember this date april 5 2014…hahaha just did..

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Batteries, Spark Plugs, brakes, start motors (and more) I have had them all fail at the WORST of times… I can’t even begin to regale the stories….welcome to the club :) That’s what plan b,c,d, and e are for ;)

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Well this will help you when a real SHTF happens. When you fail you learn. As you can see testing you prepping is very important.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I hate that **** !!!! at least the old cars gave you warning when the battery was about to take a crap , the new ones just one day its fine , the next , dead !!!!

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Congrats for the hunnys Bday. And ouch not fun, but yup something to learn from!! Darin you are learning this just like the rest of us. Your fail now, becomes a pass. Just cause your now, know what to fix!

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

So glad you practice Darin, regardless of failure!

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

This is one of my worst fears come to life… a failure to launch haha. Glad it happened during a practice run!

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Murphy’s Law right Darin! God Bless and be safe

Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

the drive went fine, about 3;30 pm i arrived at the meeting point outside of Prince George, met with my partner and carried on to our other partners property some 60 miles away. a few days were spent prepareing equipment and supplys, doing some maintenance on the car, donating some days to helping friends with yard duty, and climatizing myself to the region. i finnaly made it to the camp down below, still a bit of snow and lots of run off. real damp… the trailer was fine, but damp..so i hooked up the fireplace and stoked it up. the fire eliminated the dampness fast. important to do this..you can put up with damp but after time it effects your health drasticaly. food stocks are good for a month, to start. water only good for a week, so off i go to re supply. now i have extra water jugs, maybe a months worth.. now its raining season. last try out i was stuck in the bush for four days till the road dried out enough. gotta be good to stay put at least a month. prepping garden area, digging water pool by creek to create settling pond to filter from. digging latrine off into bush line… have equipment to funnel water and pipe by pvc to generator..se how this works out. …got to go on an errend…will come back soon….

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Beautiful example why all theoretical knowledge needs to be put into action!

Its always a very humbling experience when we realize how much we rely on technology in our everyday life.

I learned so much from simply going on solo hikes that I was unable to imagine I would even need to know. This begins with taking a dump in the woods and ends with what to do when your whole equipment won’t get dry but you are 3 days walk from the next proper shelter.

For some people “survival” or “prepping” is too negative. I really understand that. I wouldn’t do all this if my only motivation would be that I fear death. I don’t. I just like simple living, freedom, independence and see the reality for what it is.

gotta be good to stay put at least a month. prepping garden area, digging water pool by creek to create settling pond to filter from. digging latrine off into bush line… have equipment to funnel water and pipe by pvc to generator..se how this works out. …got to go on an errend…will come back soon….

Love your description of what you are up to. Sounds like a busy but quality time.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Darin, Keep on posting!

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Adventure begins when the best laid plans of mice and men go awry.

There’s a reason we practice, and here’s a perfect example.

Profile photo of Red State Rocker
    Red State Rocker
    Survivalist
    member1

I have a battery charger from Costco that is for just such an occasion. It’s basically a battery with jumper cables attached, also outlets for 12V and USB.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.