Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

C,
    I think its worth looking at all the issues associated with this method, or any other topic on the forum. Personally I have lots of space, material and experience with composting. I’ve been shoveling **** since at least 1970 for one reason or the other.

There are people living in suburban areas dont have the space for this and in urban areas forget it. Tha5s my only point. A pile of human waste made by 4 people for 18 months is a lot of crapola.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>C,<br>
    I think its worth looking at all the issues associated with this method, or any other topic on the forum. Personally I have lots of space, material and experience with composting. I’ve been shoveling **** since at least 1970 for one reason or the other.

There are people living in suburban areas dont have the space for this and in urban areas forget it. Tha5s my only point. A pile of human waste made by 4 people for 18 months is a lot of crapola.

It might be interesting to try making gunpowder then. The techniques and formulas are out there. Most people know about urine and saltpeter. Its really low tech. i wouldn’t enrich my veggies with my urine but I would certainly used it otherwise if the need arose. lol

You might have to claim … its only some sheet for the garden.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Not to get too far off track but c makes a good point about stockpiling of supplies. I see it as getting you through a set period so as to allow you time to adjust to a new reality. The real action is thinking through the biggies on a long term basis….heat, water, food, security. What your longer term solutions are will dictate the time frame that your supplies cache needs to be for.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen,
    If the grid goes it won’t take long before we are back to very basic life styles.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mtb,
    Your right about the storage needs relative to transitioning to long term methods. I’m not certain what the period will be. An aspect of preparing C notes is that people store a lot of stuff. Urban dwellers do not have the opportunity that more rural residents have to transition into self sustaining lifestyles. They have few natural resources to draw from (any that are legal) and have different requirements for storage of food and supplies.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

74 if the grid goes down permanently I have a non electronic reloading scale that can weigh both gold and gunpowder with ease. No internet that knowledge alone could save your life as people revert to base 1, just alive, as opposed to base 000.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

74, adding to the difficulties urban folks have is that they usually don’t have much room to store a lot of supplies. I have a hard time seeing how urban folks can have a realistic long term plan other than one that assumes the SHTF event is just a temporary issue.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mtb,
    It is a problem because urban existence post shtf fan has the same space requirements for food production and everything else all people will have. The real problem is securing a space that large. The roof of a parking garage would make a great garden if you could get the dirt up there. I guess it could be filled with composted poo.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

74, even if you could use rooftops in addition to parks etc, there would only be enough capacity for a small fraction of current urban populations. Single buildings on Manhattan have more people living in them than live in my entire town. SHTF plans for urban (and many suburban) areas can only be viable for short duration events. I realize that cities down South and out West are more spread out than what exists in the Northeast and that puts them in a somewhat better position than urban dwellers in the Northeast, and that many people live in single family homes, but how much food can you grow on those urban postage stamp sized yards? How many city folk have seeds and canning supplies, and the skills to grow and preserve food? Any long duration plan would have to include exiting the city.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

I agree, MB, that there would not be space for growing food for a small fraction of the population, discounting how long it would take to harvest a crop even if planted. Who could wait 40 days for even early lettuce? Plus, I would hate to be near any city a few weeks after things ‘go down’. I remember the mess generated by NYC garbage collectors’ strikes a few years ago…and I know the stench of cities and villages in India where few of the poorer multitudes have any access to even primitive sanitation. Even if many urban people did use composting and band together to use communal areas for waste, many more will not bother (just look at the roadside trash today) out of laziness or ignorance. Thus a huge breeding ground for disease, not to mention sheer grossness. Reach for the ‘nosegays’ of medieval times…

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mtb, I guess my comment wasn’t very clear. I wasn’t figuring on the general larger population, only random survivors. A single large building controlled by a small number of people could make it. A parking garage is a good structure because of the heavy fire resistive construction. Properly secured would be like a modern fortress It does require a wet climate..

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Gotcha. No doubt some could survive long term in the manner you describe, though it doesn’t seem it would be a very pleasant experience, not that life in the countryside would be a picnic either.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

And I’m not advocating it either.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Good topic C and thanks for the info.
    Just to mention,in urban SHTF scenario smell is most probably going to be everywhere with or without bucket toilet, so just count on it.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Its the grey terror of public service breakdown. People will flee to escape the smell.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.