Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Al_1234
    Al_1234
    Survivalist
    member1

Hi C,

Thanks for the info & link!

Quick questions – do you use air spray or Lysol to freshen the “toilet area”? Do you have fly/pest issue just by using the saw dust/peat moss? Where do you get cheap/free saw dust/peat moss? Do you separate the pee from the poop (some youtube guys/composting toilet suggest/work that way)? If so, how do you “recycle” the pee? If not, how long do you need to change bags? (do you use 13 gallon bags in your 5-gallon bucket? What brand do you recommend [some are really flimsy!]?

I live in a sub-urban area (Long Island, NY) and really have no place to dig besides my backyard/front lawn. When SHTF, there might be no garbage collection and no flushable toilet for months. I don’t want to ruin my lawn sprinkler system (which covers the whole yard/lawn). And human waste piles up FAST – No composting bin/system will be big enough to hold months’ worth of humanure, even for a small family I have. Assuming the local government was not too helpful, what would you suggest to do with the many bags of humanure collection?

Hopefully there will be a centralized dumping ground – I definitely don’t want any neighbor/friends to dump their “collection” on my front lawn! (It’s definitely a crappy possibility because there are people who let their dogs poop on my lawn – which is DISGUSTING!)

Thanks for your feedback & ideas! Have a Happy New Year!

Al

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Al,
    Pull up a manhole cover and dump it in the sewer system.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Al, in a suburban setting, you might consider agreeing with your neighbors on a designated area for burying the waste rather than everyone trying to establish their own poop trench. Part of my reasoning is that in a long term SHTF event you will all be turning those lawns into veggie gardens, and so best to avoid contamination risk.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

you can compost human waste.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of redleg16
    redleg16
    Veteran
    member1

You can also use lime to use in the bucket after use. Just go down to your local hardware store in the lawn and garden and pick up a bag or 2. It also controls flies.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Profile photo of redleg16
    redleg16
    Veteran
    member1

Smell and flies

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I’m with redleg16

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

C,
    Composting toilets have been around for a long time. My brother installed a commercial unit in his home in about 1983. It used the same methods/materials of controlling odor as you describe. Ultimately it was not an effective method of waste disposal and it was replaced with a septic system. The method you present is certainly a great method when no other choice is available smell or no smell.

Profile photo of drunkmonkey
    drunkmonkey
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Also Remember if SHTF is that bad you are having use a bucket, its probably safe to assume that you will be on rationed/starvation level food consumption and you and your family will not be pooping too much if anything at all.
    When I do heavy work like building a block foundation for a home I consume 3000 calories + per day and the quantity of waste I deposit drops significantly because my body is consuming all food intake at an extremely efficient level.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>lonewolf wrote:</div>you can compost human waste.

Bones don’t compost.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

do NOT use chemicals on human waste if you are composting it, it stops the poo from bio degrading.

British Survivalist.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.