Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Also picked up an ATI Strikeforce furniture kit, 3 extra 40 rd mags and 700 rd sardine can of ammo. This gives me 2 x 30 rd mags and 3 x 40 rd mags along with the folder set that won’t pop me in the cheek when I shoot it (OEM AK stocks hit me in the cheek when I fire the rifle and don’t fit me correctly – this one folds, too).

Wasn’t too terrible with regard to price: $980 for everything I got today.

Considering that I am an AR kinda guy, this was a stretch for me. I really wanted something that hit harder than the AR for my GHB and had a folding stock to make it even smaller yet. The AK variant seemed like the logical choice and I will be able to dissect it a bit to build my own out of receiver flats since I will now have something to verify against.

http://ageofdecadence.com

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of sledjockey sledjockey.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of sledjockey sledjockey.
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Good choice , Wasr 10 is not high end , but doesnt need to be , it will get the job done . Chrome lined barrel , so its made for neglect in mind . Thing about the AK platform in general , its not fussy what it eats , and with cheap Russian ammo around in bulk , it just makes sense for people to own at least one , AR guy/gal or not . If a person prefers AR’s , the AK makes a great back up weapon .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Don’t dive in too far, those rivets are the devil in the details.

Something you may like to see,

http://www.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/2015/06/the-best-starter-ak-below-600-goes-to-wasr-10/

AK4774 operators union has a great video on their website that shows a quality build and the work involved, worth watching several times.

http://www.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/2015/11/building-ak47-akm-with-definitive-arms/

Personally I think the WASRs are still one of the best deals available.
    However they are not up to the same standards of a custom, or semi custom build such as those by Rifle Dynamics or others.

In a rack grade gun, I still prefer the Hungarian (FEG) AMD-65 folders.

Profile photo of Eagle223usa
    Eagle223usa
    Survivalist
    member2

That’s a good solid little carbine there, The major downfall of AK accuracy is the quality of the bulk imported ammo we get. If you want to see what your rifle is capable of, try some domestic ammo, it will surprise you. Good purchase.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Don’t dive in too far, those rivets are the devil in the details.

Something you may like to see,

http://www.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/2015/06/the-best-starter-ak-below-600-goes-to-wasr-10/

AK4774 operators union has a great video on their website that shows a quality build and the work involved, worth watching several times.

http://www.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/2015/11/building-ak47-akm-with-definitive-arms/

Personally I think the WASRs are still one of the best deals available.
    However they are not up to the same standards of a custom, or semi custom build such as those by Rifle Dynamics or others.

In a rack grade gun, I still prefer the Hungarian (FEG) AMD-65 folders.

Thank you for the links. I will check them out.

For some reason, the best deal with regard to availability and price was the WASR. Not sure if it means anything, but for $619.99 out the door I couldn’t complain about that at least.

Those rivets do look a bit harsh. I find it interesting how everything is riveted rather than welded. Since this is my first AK, I will be doing a lot of investigation and messing with it to learn how it all works. Seeing how they are built from parts/flats to firing would definitely help a lot.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Eagle and Tolik:

Thank you for the info as well……

Here is what my beast looks like after I made the modifications. The stock swap was the 100% required for me to shoot it comfortably so any additional “stuffs” are just so it all matches. Believe me on this one: I was not going for the tacti-cool look on this thing…. I could care less. I wanted functionality, compact form with folding stock, and comfort in shooting.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Eagle ,
    I use have both the US made ammo and the bulk Russian stuff , your right , there is a difference in quality . But the affordability factor is a big issue with a lot of people , somebody can get 3-4 boxes of the Russian ammo for the price of just one box of American made ………big difference , I cant blame people for choosing the lesser quality in order to be able to stock up , then getting the odd box of American made here and there . It will eat anything . I have noticed that the hollow points dont really expand that well with the cheap stuff , but the SP on the other hand works well .

As far as the US made AKs , I would love to have one , but cant see spending over 1000 for an AK , when I can be patient , and wait for a 12 – 1400 FAL in a private sale . 5-700 for a new mid range Ak , doesnt bother me a bit . In some ways they price themselves out of the market . The hard core fans will pay it , but the bigger group will hesitate . Would LOVE to have a Scar 17 ………then again , no gun is worth what they want for it .

Profile photo of Broadside
    Broadside
    Survivalist
    member3

Sled, go to youtube and dive into the akoperatorsunion47/74 channel and also anything with Jim Fuller in it. He’s the genius behind Rifle Dynamics that Whirly mentioned. There are tons of resources out there for you to get acquainted with your new freind and understand the method to the madness of the AK family.

You made a good choice btw. My WASR has been as solid and dependable as a man could ask.

This is part 1 of 3 of the Rifle Dynamics AK builder course ITS Tactical put on the tube. It explains a lot of the whys and hows.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I have been checking out his channel since Whirli put up those links. That is one hell of a great AK resource. There is even a video about the cheek slap thing that has always annoyed me about the AK. I always thought that the stocks were made for midgets with no cheek bones. Putting my face that close to the receiver never even crossed my mind out of self preservation, but it appears that his how they are designed. Who wooda thunk it?

I even picked up a sight tool after watching is iron sight informational video -> yet another thing that has always bugged me about the AK was the way almost all of them have the front sight post off center. He made it sound like it wasn’t a big deal and explained why….

Again, it is a great resource. I can’t wait to take it out either this or next weekend.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Sled ,
    The AK ( more common on Yugo versions than others ) is a common complaint . Easy fix is adjust your shooting style . Instead of leaning your head down into the weapon , bring the weapon up with your head level . You might want to think about getting a front pistol grip , it will make the action more natural . The Yugo versions are bad for that because they have a more Western rifle stock instead of the traditional AK stock.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Tolik:

What I did was swap the stock out for an ATI Strikeforce folding/6 position version with a cheek riser. It now seems to fit more like an AR so I feel much more comfortable with it during fire and maneuver.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I have more than one AK , I dont have that problem , except for the Yugo , I have to adjust for it .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

So how about a little review as it changes?

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

So how about a little review as it changes?

I can definitely do that….. As a matter of fact I can cover a few things I leaned while I was swapping out the ATI kit. I also shot it this weekend and I can cover a few things regarding how well it functioned and its accuracy.

The first item I will address is the accuracy…… This thing is actually quite accurate. Although I did not put it on paper – yet – every little chunk of wood, clay pigeon, soda bottle, and beer can that I aimed at was immediately having a bad day. I have shot older WASR’s and other AK’s on numerous occasions. Each one had its own idiosyncrasies and required a bit of redneck engineering in one way or another. Some required a lot of Kentucky windage right out of the box to put lead on target. Others had a strange “buck” to them where the stock had to be refit so as to take up some of that flex. Even my friend’s WASR (about 3 years old) shot more like an old truck gun than anything that you should rely on….. This one? Much different and I am quite happy with it. When I get a chance to put it on paper, I will measure out the grouping, chrono it, and get an idea of how well it truly performs. Until then, I feel 100% confident that any discarded trash left in a rock quarry will be in serious danger if it tries to take me out!

As to the upgrades thus far:
    I took the whole rifle apart and cleaned all contact/slide points (except trigger/hammer contact points) up with 6000 grit Emery cloth, soaked it in a good penetrating oil overnight, ran all the internal parts I could fit into my ultrasounic for a few hours and put everything back together with a good coating of Rem-oil. I also polished up the contact points on the trigger and hammer. This took a while because I had a hell of a time getting the group out. I also had a difficult time getting the rifle apart for the furniture swap the first time which I will cover after I complain about the trigger disassembly. I think it might be something that they do during factory assembly because it I was almost at the point of giving up on getting the stupid pins out for both the trigger and the hammer. After the first disassembly everything was much easier to take back apart. The springs on the hammer are vicious as well. I got smacked several times by that damned hammer spring so be careful.

After polishing up and cleaning the internal parts, I no longer have any of that gritty feel to the trigger. It is nice and smooth. I do need to get a scale to check trigger weight, but I can most easily compare it to the ALG trigger in my brother’s AR. He has the $65 dollar one and my AK trigger is a bit smoother and about that same weight pull now.

As for the furniture, getting the fore end pieces off and reinstalled was harsh. The ATI pieces fit really tight and require you to pry it the bottom section a bit to make it clear the barrel during installation. After I have taken it apart several more times for cleaning, the parts are more easily assembled not unlike the trigger group. The ATI top section actually was the hardest to get installed. There are little tabs that have to fit inside the lower section for you to be able to flip over the retaining piece. The top and bottom must fit tightly together and I had to do some prying to get it to fit the first couple times. Now it slips on and off without too much difficulty, but the first time required about 20 minutes of cursing and manipulation.

Oddly enough the stock was the easiest part. I did have to drill two holes into the stock itself, but this was quick and easy compared to the other work I did on it.

Profile photo of Eagle223usa
    Eagle223usa
    Survivalist
    member2

Sled, Did your rifle come with a Tapco G2 trigger group? My later one did. The earlier one would sting your finger with trigger slap, so I put a G2 in that one also.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.