Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

I left another (previously) marvelous forum a bit over a year ago, after serious infighting began, and moderation largely ceased to exist when less-than-civil posts appeared. Long story, not worth recounting here (at least two current members here are well aware of it).

I came across Selco’s original (I think?) site at least a couple of years ago, and immediately appreciated the rare insight available from first-hand, deep experience. I read his insights from time to time, but stayed on the sidelines. I tried out another forum when it looked like my original “home” was going downhill rapidly, but soon found that it did not meet my hopes or comfort level.

I was fortunate to learn that a couple of folks from the old “home” were now here at SHTF School, and I began to follow some of the threads – not wanting a repeat of my first attempt at an alternative new “home.” Liking what I see here, I made the choice to join today. But why now? Because of last Friday. My wife came back to where I was sitting at the computer to tell me the Supreme Court decision was in – and she was crying. It took no extra brain power to know exactly what she meant. The rest of the day, and the following day, I was in an emotional state that I just did not quite understand – and which troubled me greatly. There was generalized anger at little things that came up during those two days, discourteous responses toward others that are uncharacteristic of me these days, and just a detached, odd emotional state.

It finally dawned on me after some serious reflection that what I was experiencing was – perhaps odd to some – a grief response. I realized that while we’ve been making preparations for many years for various potential “situations,” there had been a part of me that had been in denial. Oh, I knew things were bad, I voiced concerns about the Constitution being dismantled and becoming irrelevant, etc. But cognitive dissonance can be very powerful – when you see one thing clearly, but simply don’t want to believe it could possibly be that way, denial can take over. Addicts know the principle well – once they hit bottom and begin actual recovery. But until that point, it’s never as bad as it really is. Friday was different – it finally broke through the denial for me. When it hit me that 50 states are still allowed to differ on divorce laws, but that the federal government came in and mandated that all 50 states have a uniform, centrally-dictated marriage standard, I realized that the 10th Amendment was completely gone. I’d seen it coming, have seen the erosion in all the other areas, but this finally broke through the denial that kept me believing we weren’t really at the end yet.

I remember hearing Thomas Sowell being interviewed just days prior to the 2012 election, and the interviewer asked him if he believed that the constitutional republic could survive a 2nd Obama administration. He paused, then answered with an unequivocal “No.” I was stunned. But I did not disagree. And then I proceeded to remain in denial for nearly the past three years, because at my age, having lived through far more reasonable times when at least some honest candidates could still be elected, I just was not ready to wrap my head around the fact that we’d crossed the line. Friday ended the denial. So I remembered the previous referral to SHTF School forum from some of my old friends at the previous forum, started looking more closely again, and decided I needed a place to talk with like-minded folks, where I can learn, and in return hopefully share what limited things I’ve learned over the years.

I choose (as it appears many also have the good and reasonable sense to do) to limit my personal information, for obvious reasons, the walls having ears. I’ll just say that I’ve got more than a few decades behind me, I have enough years in the military that it was very hard to get out and not finish out a retirement, and later I went back to work for FedGov for enough years to combine the two into a limited retirement. I directly served military personnel and their families in critical situations, and did so to the best of my ability, so I have no shame in who happened to be my employer. The beneficiaries of my labor were those who wrote blank checks to the people of the United States, unfortunately naively believing their government would use those checks wisely. Some paid the ultimate price, some paid so dearly that they wished they’d paid the ultimate price, and some chose to ultimately pay that price themselves. But I know for a fact that I helped many to NOT make that choice, and feel like I spent my time in a worthy cause ironically within a system not worthy of any of us. So I’ve seen the system from the inside, high enough and close enough to understand at least a bit about what is happening, but also to know to be cautious.

As to the question of why we are prepping, and why we began long before that word was ever invented (as far as I know anyway), part of it was because of counsel we received from some people we considered to be quite wise – and largely out of trust back then. But the wisdom became clear within just a few years. I don’t know what will happen specifically, nor do I believe we can be adequately prepared for any situation that may come. But we do expect a further and major breakdown in society. We’re largely stuck where we are due to limited financial resources, and separate property elsewhere is not feasible. So, the goal is to become as self-sufficient as we can be, in a suburban setting (yes, yes, I know – MANY drawbacks there! – but it’s what we’re rather stuck with). Food storage is a priority, water is a priority, our own food production is a priority, protection is a priority, security is a priority. I’ll leave it at that level of non-specificity for now, knowing that some posts will begin to reveal more details.

Just know that I already appreciate a number of those here, after doing a fair amount of reading of the various topics and threads. Already, thank you all for the existing contributions – looks like a good, decent, and cooperative bunch, with good heads on their shoulders. I feel rather inadequate in many key areas, and appreciate the expertise that so many are willing to share – and the forum through which to share it.

Georgia Saint

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Welcome! As you have read and seen this forum is like none other.
    Robin

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

The Supreme Court only makes rulings on there political views and do not make rulings on the U. S.Constitutional Laws. We are in the end of times, the constitution was God’s laws but now they are destroying it. We have to prepare as best as we can to protect our family from what is coming.

We are a small group here and have differences but not many. We all know what is coming.

I am happy you are here. Everyone adds to the forum.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome GeorgiaSaint. New voices are always welcome. I learn a lot from listening to the perspectives and experiences of others. One of the advantages here is that we have good geographic representation.

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Welcome, GeorgiaSaint! I’m one of those privileged to know you from that other forum. You are an intelligent, thoughtful respondent. Your temperate and well-expressed posts are sure to be assets here.

Cry, "Treason!"

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Welcome to the forum GeorgiaSaint.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Welcome to the forum!

http://ageofdecadence.com

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

GS, glad you made the transition.
    Its a good place, and it’ll be good to have your insight again.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Glad to have ya GS. Welcome.

I caught another post of yours over on another thread.

There’s folks here who will always have a difference of opinion – me included – and sometimes when you get several strong personalities together in the same place, there’s some scrapping going on – me included. But I don’t think we would try to run anyone off… yeah, we can be a bit dysfunctional sometimes, but we’re a family. Such as it is.

As far as you finally realizing this country – if it can still be called one – is on a clock and that our government is populated by a bunch of bureaucratic thugs and we’re ruled by an Oligarchy, well… welcome to the club. Everyone has to make that journey on their own – you can’t just be shown it. You have to come to the realization yourself. That’s the only way it carries a meaning profound enough to shake you out of your Normalcy Bias. Cognitive dissonance follows and then yes, the 5 stages of grief. You finally realized you got played for a chump, and it stings, doesn’t it?

Being stuck in an urban area – and given your name, I’m hoping it’s not Atlanta – is unfortunate. But, you gotta run what ya brung. If copies are still floating around out there, try obtaining “A Failure of Civility”. There’s a process described for someone in your situation – how to tribe up with likeminded folks in an urban environment. I hesitate to use the word “challenges” – that’s just a euphemism for “problems” – but they’re not impossible. Hook up with other likeminded folks, tribe up, have some sort of plan. And a Plan B. One thing I learned is that of you adopt a fortress mentality, you will fail. Every single fortress that has ever been besieged in history, fell… even mighty Constantinople eventually fell – it took a thousand years of trying, but it too eventually went down…

Tribe up and keep a fluid defense. Have a Plan B. And again, welcome.

NB If you can’t find a copy of “A Failure of Civility”, I have a copy and can supply you with the relevant information – I do not think the authors would begrudge it’s use, given the situation we’re in and the time constraints involved… If you can’t find a copy, shoot me a private message and I’ll provide you with my email address so I can shoot you a copy of the information… Peace.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus,
    I think a thread on pre-staged withdrawal routes, set firing positions and decoys would be helpful. I’m sure you would have many things to bring to the discussion. Would you start the thread?

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome GeorgiaSaint. This is truly an International Forum and, as such, we have some differing viewpoints on various subjects. Because we all have different backgrounds, we also have many differing viewpoints. However, that said, we are united in our views of the world around us, and the dangers present. For the most part, even though we don’t always agree, we are respectful of others opinions and have little discord.
    I enjoyed your brief introduction and am looking forward to viewing your opinions. Ron S

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Dear Georgia Saint
    I am very sure you will learn something new every time you log into SHTF School. I’ve made many friends and appreciate everybody in their own special way. Enjoy

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

What a great bunch of welcomes. Thanks, guys (and ladies, as the case may be?). I’m already feeling like this is “home.” And to my two much longer-term friends, it’s great to be back together with two very good folks. I still squirm when I think just how close we all were to getting together at the same time in the same place recently. If only…. Just know that had we all known when/where the others would be, it would have been marvelous to sit down together with our wives and make that kind of contact. Regardless, thanks not only to you two, but to the rest of you for being who you are, standing for what you do, and most of all, for your willingness to share with others for their benefit. Coming from a Christian perspective, that is what I see as the human ideal.

Oh – and Malgus, no I am NOT in the Atlanta metro area, thankfully. No matter what happened, we’d have found our way out of that place long ago almost regardless of the cost. The alternative cost (that of staying there, particularly if/when it all comes down) would far outstrip the financial cost of moving out of Atlanta before now. Fortunately, we still enjoy the benefits of the South (upper case purposefully), and there are enough like-minded people within minutes that a “tribe” has already begun to develop. I suspect that it will gel more fully and rapidly now, given the SCOTUS decisions last Thursday, Friday, and yesterday.

Finally, the denial I mentioned wasn’t so much in the fact that we’ve all been played for chumps. I clearly knew that long ago, and I’ve resisted (at least three times at the peril of my former federal job). The denial was that process associated with cognitive dissonance that simply cannot bear to acknowledge the final reality. In the case of addicts, it’s the fact that their lives are fully out of control, and that they cannot recover on their own. In this case, it was not emotionally being willing to acknowledge that the nation that I have loved for well into my 7th decade is dead. Only the land is still here. The goings-on in D.C. are merely the false images of a functioning government. When someone very close and dear to me died several years ago, with his skull filled with blood from massive brain hemorrhage, and his breathing finally stopped, his heart incredibly continued beating for a full 20 minutes after his breathing had ceased. How it did so with zero replenishment of oxygen to the muscle, I still cannot comprehend. The head nurse came in, understandably not believing what I was telling her – that he’d died, but his heart was still beating without any breathing – and kept trying to discern at least a tiny bit of breath. She finally realized that what was seemingly impossible, was actually happening right in front of her. When she finally got the doctor in, the doctor similarly did not initially want to believe it was even possible. But the fact was, brain function had long ago ceased, and breathing had ceased at least 20 minutes earlier – just the heart muscle was continuing to beat. That does not equal life in any sense of the word. In what I see as a very close parallel, we may go several more years with Congress meeting in sessions, committees continuing to “debate,” votes being taken, cases going to the Supreme Court, etc. But they will be of no more value than that single heart muscle continuing to worthlessly pump unoxygenated blood through a lifeless body. The Constitution has been destroyed, and my brain finally acknowledged that we didn’t just have a serious problem but that the Constitution was no longer anything more than what George W. Bush reportedly claimed (supposedly discredited) is nothing more than “a (two expletives) piece of paper.”

That is how I meant that I was in denial – I didn’t want to acknowledge that the death of a Nation, the Constitutional Republic, had occurred. We are now in completely uncharted territory, and there is no predictability. That there may be some civilization left for a period of time may well be true, and that will only assist others to keep from finally realizing what we, here, have already acknowledged. There are still some good, decent people in the geographical designation we will continue referring to as the United States of America. But to me that’s only a map label, no longer the unique concept in all of human history, that was once based in what I believe was a divinely inspired document. In practice, I see us as now living in what I would – in all seriousness – term the USSA – the United Soviet States of America, using the definition of “soviet” to be an all-powerful, central government.

Again, thanks all for the warm welcome. I’ll probably tend to do a lot of watching, at least at first. But I also intend to contribute where I can, including a rain water recovery and processing method that we personally use, and that I believe is better and more complete than anything on YouTube. But I need a little time to get it into a more concise, easier-to-follow format. Ultimately, I want to even include part numbers from either Lowe’s or Home Depot, and detailed instructions. Fortunately, it’s not illegal in Georgia to collect the rainwater that freely falls on one’s own property, and do with it as we wish, before returning it to the ground and/or drainage system.

Oh – and in case someone here is unaware, tomorrow is a landmark day in Georgia. Tomorrow (1 July 2015) marks the day when it is legal for a permit holder to be fully protected while sitting in church in Georgia (assuming a church doesn’t individually ban weapons on its private property). Charleston will be far less likely to be duplicated in the State of Georgia beginning with tomorrow’s Wednesday night Bible studies.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Malgus,
    I think a thread on pre-staged withdrawal routes, set firing positions and decoys would be helpful. I’m sure you would have many things to bring to the discussion. Would you start the thread?

I can do that.

That there may be some civilization left for a period of time may well be true, and that will only assist others to keep from finally realizing what we, here, have already acknowledged. – GS

When the philosopher Ausonius was told that Rome was in the process of collapse, he replied “Of course it is! But there is still time to live well.”

We’ll be carried forward through sheer momentum for a time, but for how long? I got nothing… could be a few days, could be weeks or months, could be longer. But the party’s over, pretty much… No offense meant to your friend who passed – the heart analogy is a good one – but I refer to us privately as a Zombie country… just shambling along. The old girl had a good run, but sooner or later…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome to the forums Georgia Saint, and also thank you, I think you can contribute a lot.
    Different opinions are not obstacle for me, and I think majority of folks here thinks that too. Very often I learned a lot from people who have completely different views then me.

Please feel free to “jump in” here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.