Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Okay, this is what I have found out so far about booze and smokes…

Booze – Those little airline bottles? They come in sleeves of eight. Don’t know how many sleeves to a case. Each bottle is only a couple dollars, depending on make and quality. I chose Jim Beam (because hey, this is Kentucky) and Four Roses (Four Roses is a local distillery and it makes good stuff), so that’s one middle of the road liquor and one higher end liquor. The guy who owned the liquor store – I spoke to him directly – said that obviously the price per bottle would go down the more you buy and, unless you are a regular client, the distributor would have to have cash up front. The pint bottles were obviously more expensive – about 8 bucks for a pint of Beam and almost twice that for Four Roses – just over 12 dollars for a pint. Liquor Store Guy told me that he would ask his distributor when he came on Monday how much each would be per case (airline bottles and pint bottles) and then he would call me with the information, so expect an update on Monday or Tuesday….

Remember, this is Kentucky. We invented bourbon and it is literally made just down the road from us – we live on The Bourbon Trail – so what I pay per case here and what you pay per case wherever you are can be totally different…

Smokes – Stopped off at a local smoke shop and asked the nice lady there about rolling smokes. It boils down to this-

You can roll your own and it can be as elaborate as you want. The rolling machines come in pocket sized models for a few bucks, or big machines the size of a shoebox for anywhere between $40 to $80. Some are well made manual models, some are electric and some are really, really elaborate – way more than $80. I’m not including them because they require electricity, which is no guarantee in a SHTF episode…

Rolling papers? 39 cents to about a buck for Top brand papers. Those are the flat papers. They also come in pre-rolled tubes, standard and 100’s length, with filters and without filters both… roughly $3 for a box of 200 rolled papers. The tobacco comes in big gallon sized resealable bags, rough price is $15 per bag.

I figure you can get a manual rolling machine for $40 or so, a couple thousand pre-rolled papers and a couple bags of tobacco for about $100, throw the whole mess in a plastic tote box from Walmart and store it in the basement… just forget about it until you need it.

Remember friends and neighbors – this is Kentucky. We’ve been growing tobacco for generations, so the prices here certainly will not reflect the prices you Yankees pay way up Nawth.

Updates to follow… and add anything you all think is relevant… or even non-relevant stuff (if its funny :) )

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Good idea. SHTF entrepreneur! Be careful on who knows you have the goods. Avoid being a target. Selco probaly has some ideas on this topic.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

THey have still kits for not much money , I was and still am thinking of trying one out . One thing I did try is , I read about an old 1930’s bootlegger trick to make rot gut taste like aged bourbon . They would put a few drops of liquid smoke in the bottle . I tried it on a bottle of Jim Beam , damned if it didnt work !!! Tobacco is another one , you can grow it or hoard it , here in AZ , we go to the reservation for cheap smokes , or to mexico . I have a source for cheap Russian cigarettes , but nuff said about that . I dont smoke , but its more for novelty .POT is another one ……….I know , I know …….but it will be in demand .

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Cigarettes and alcohol are always good ideas for SHTF.
    I did some pretty dangerous trips to get cigarettes or tobacco in my SHTF time, i smoke tobacco after I cleaned it from dead worms from it (I guess very old tobacco) , even those tobacco roots (actually simple old tobacco branch) had value, I use to chop it for hours, make small pieces or powder and smoke it.
    Smokers will understand, when you do not have it, it become priceless.
    Tobacco rolled in newspapers was quality stuff :)

Cigarettes were sold-traded by piece, we smoked one cigarette in circle, 5-6 of us, one smoke (puff) each.
    Yea, I there were time when I would took cigarette instead of food, even I was hungry.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Smokers will understand, when you do not have it, it become priceless. — Selco

Absolutely!! When we would deploy, I would buy my own smokes and stash them away. Then I would buy a couple cartons of smokes to sell and trade. After about 3 weeks with no resupply, most guys were OUT of smokes. Not low, but OUT. It was not unusual to find guys like me selling packs of smokes at a %500 increase in price. They crabbed some, but they paid. Nothing personal – just business. Those who crabbed? Well, there was nothing stopping them from doing the same thing I had done. But they didn’t have the foresight to buy extra for selling and trading, so really there was no place for them to crab or complain… free markets rule!

Tobacco rolled in newspapers was quality stuff :)

Dude, I had to laugh at this. I know it was hard times and I’ve been without smokes too… but good lord! :)

Reminded me of what I used to do when I would run into “that guy”. You remember “that guy” Selco? The guy who never, ever bought smokes for himself, just went around bumming smokes from people to feed his habit? “Hey buddy? Got a smoke?” What I did was I took a pack of Lucky Strikes unfiltered cigarettes and opened the pack, then let them sit on the dashboard of my car for a few weeks. Anyone who has ever smoked Lucky Strikes knows what they’re like, and anyone who has smoked stale, dried out cigarettes knows what that is like.. Combine the two? Hehehhehehhe… :) They were so dried out, if you weren’t careful, all the tobacco would fall out the end.

“Hey, got a smoke?”
    “Sure!” (hands “that guy” a dried out Lucky Strike)
    COUGH! GAG! WHEEZE!! “Good lord! What IS that?!?”
    “Sorry, it was all I had..”

That was the last time “that guy” ever bummed a smoke from me…

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

:)
    Yes, I know the guy, he was there even in the middle of SHTF event, I think he always be there.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Most of the tobacco smoked by red army soldiers in WW2 , was rolled in newspapers . or any other paper they could scavenge .

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Great info here everyone.
    Thanks so much guys.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Followup –

No, Liquor Store Guy hasn’t got back to me yet.. he said Monday or Tuesday, so we got tomorrow to go yet…

Was thinking. Lots of you all want to learn how to make ‘shine. Well, make proper corn liquor, not sugar liquor. If you want to learn, then get this DVD and watch it. It’s called “The Last One”. It’s a documentary, but a side effect of the documentary is that it gives a step-by-step process on not only how to make good sippin whiskey (corn liquor), but how to construct your still…

The guy in the documentary – Popcorn Sutton – is a legend. Sadly, he is now passed to his reward. I’ve owned this DVD for a couple years now and I never get tired of watching it…

Have fun and don’t get caught.

http://www.suckerpunchpictures.com/last_one_popcorn_sutton.html

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The Foxfire series of books should be required reading for all preppers.

In one of the books thry give still instructions and recipes of a sort.

As I recall, Sutton got caught with several 1000 gallon stills on his property, he chose suicide rather than facing jail.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Brother Bird..

I didn’t hear anything like that… all’s I knew that happened was that he was dead… damn, I really liked him. I know a lot of people just like him…

I was going to go into a rant about people’s freedom to do as they wish, but the thought of our benevolent dictators , oppressive statist thugs, current “Gray State” compared to the period from 1789 to 1913 will only drive up my blood pressure and piss me off for the rest of the day…

Guy was just doing what he loved, trying to make a few bucks in an impoverished region of the US (that I live in, so I know these people)… now that our Fearless Leader, that dirtbag in the White House, the current Administration has done it’s best to gut the coal industry, there are multiples of thousands of people out of work in arguably the poorest part of These United States…

And when an old man tries to make a living as best he can, doing what he’s good at, they go after him so hard that he would rather kill himself than face their punishment… THEY are complicit in his death….

Meh… The Zombie Apocalypse can’t come soon enough for me….

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The revenooer’s closed in on him, he was facing a lengthy stretch for failure to pay the booze tax (again).

Here’s an interesting post from the other “members forum” here at SHTFSchool,:
    From Hammerun
    How do you smoke on the cheap? How about .60 a pack?
    I don’t usually say anything about this but I will let it out here. Thinking that at some point somebody will figure it out.
    Go down and look for a tobacco shop that stocks loose pipe tobacco. Next at the same place buy a Top-o-Matic or a Top-o-Matic T2 cigarette machine. Next cigarette tubes with filters. That’s it, your in business.
    Tobacco, golden leaf, California republic, golden harvest, premier. 1# bags “PIPE” tobacco. Don’t buy Bugler or Top cigarette tobacco. Look at the price, you’ll soon figure it out and why.
    I can get it retail at $13 a pound. It will make about 2.8 cartons.
    The machines, all of them are around $40 bucks. I own six different ones and trust me, the top o matics are the best.
    Tubes with filters. For the most part they are fairly consistent, I use Golden Harvest tubes, that’s just a preference. They will run $2 to $2.5 a box/carton.
    I forgot one thing, cigarette boxes, about $3 or $4 bucks.
    You can get all of this at the same place.
    I can stuff a carton in 45 minutes watching television. A carton of Winston is is $53 dollars here, this is a no brainer.
    And believe it or not, they taste better than the commercial cigarettes.
    What I do I have a guy that owns a tobacco shop that I deal with all of the time. I buy a case of tobacco (24#) at a time and two cases of tubes. (50 boxes to a case)
    $100 dollars a case.
    I have never noticed any difference in the tobacco over time from the first bag to the last.
    This process is fast and economical and they look just like the commercial ones.
    However though, in a SHTF situation any cigarette will look good and very very barterable. Chances are if SHTF I’ll get caught withal reasonable supply on hand, judging the way I buy. Good barter stuff!
    If there is multiple smokers in your house, you can save a butt load of money that will be freed up to buy other things you will need.
    Tobacco 24# (case) $300
    Tubes (2cases) $100
    Yield 65 cartons. Plus or minus.
    That’s $6.15 per carton.
    This all depends your location, how you buy, what the prices are and your wasteful habits during possessing.
    If you would, keep this to yourself it’s better for us all.

I screwed up. Add a $100 for another case of tubes. That brings it up to $7.35 per carton. Still, .73 cents a pack?

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

http://www.moonshineheritage.com/blog/category/moonshine-recipes/

http://www.whiskeystill.net/blogs/whiskey-still-co-blog/6458354-popcorn-suttons-moonshine-recipe

http://www.whiskeystill.net/pages/moonshine-recipe

Popcorn:

In January 2009, after an ATF raid led by Jim Cavanaugh of Waco notoriety, Sutton was sentenced to eighteen months in a federal prison for illegally distilling spirits and possession of a firearm as a felon. Sutton, 62 and recently diagnosed with cancer, pleaded with the U.S. District Judge Ronnie Greer to let him serve his sentence under house arrest. Several petitions were made in attempts to reduce or commute Sutton’s sentence, to no avail.

Sutton committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning on March 16, 2009, apparently to avoid a federal prison term due to begin a few days later. On October 24, 2009, Sutton’s body was relocated from his original grave site in Mt. Sterling, North Carolina, to his home in Parrottsville, Tennessee, providing an opportunity for the first public memorial service to be held. His body was carried to its new resting spot by horse and carriage. Sutton’s memorial grew in spectacle as country music singer Hank Williams, Jr. flew in to pay his respects. It was a small memorial only for close friends and family.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Brother Bird..

Hammerun’s post squares with what I have found out. Prices are a bit lower here, given that we grow tobacco around here, but pretty close…

What I am glad for is his assessment of the different machines – which is best, etc. When I was at the tobacco shop, there were half a dozen different machines. Picking “the best” will pay dividends…

What he didn’t go into was something I thought up myself – my wife has a machine that vacuum seals things like meat, fish, etc, for long-term frozen storage. It would be a simple matter to crank out several cases of smokes, vacuum seal them, then toss them into the plastic storage tote…

Going to the smoke shop today to pick up some of the stuff Hammer listed… will let you know what the prices of everything is…

M

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Brother Bird…

Thanks for the info re: Popcorn Sutton…

Our old buddies the BATF seemed to have teamed up with a crony Federal Judge to kill a man who was harming nobody… all because of some “tax”…

Didn’t we shoot the Brits because of “taxes”?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.