Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

I’d guess that someone has already started a thread to recommend books that may apply to survival, but I’m too lazy to research every post to find it, so I’m starting one here.

I received a recommendation from a friend for “The Lost Ways,”. Somehow, that triggered a memory of a book I once owned (burned decades ago, in a fire that destroyed my entire library and “arsenal” to that point.) My grandfather gave me his copy of The Scientific American Cyclopedia of Receipts, Notes, and Queries. It had recipes for almost anything in use in the world of that era: fertilizers, dyes, bleaches, explosives, alloys, photographic emulsions, batteries … you name it, it was probably in there. Fascinating look at the science and technology at the turn of the 20th Century. My copy was the Revised Edition (1919, I think.) It had a reprint of an 1907 article by a mechanical engineer, advocating the gas/electric hybrid automobile — about a century before the Prius!

Here is the link for the original (1901) version, downloadable in several formats.

Please add recommendations and/or links for books you find valuable.

Cry, "Treason!"

• This topic was modified 1 year ago by Profile photo of L Tecolote L Tecolote.
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Those old books could prove very valuable should we find ourselves thrust backwards technologically. I always keep an eye out for such finds when I go to library book sales. Also old history books.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Old books, old hand tools… I get them whenever I can afford to do so.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10
    Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Thanks, Whirlibird — another good one! PDF of Henley’s (1914 edition) at: http://www.survivorlibrary.com/library/henleys_twentieth_century_formulas-1914.pdf

Cry, "Treason!"

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Profile photo of L Tecolote L Tecolote.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.