Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

So lately I’ve been reading this book, and I really enjoy it. Basically it’s an overview of how we could rebuild society should we face a large scale cataclysmic event (Lewis sort of focuses on a pandemic, because of what he calls a grace period in which survivors would have a lot of stuff to scavenge).

I’m about half way through so far, so I can’t really give a proper review, but I will say it’s a must read because of the things covered in it. Plenty of DIY stuff on most everything survivors of an apocalypse would need to know.

Buy it, or torrent it if you like to go that route, and give it a read. You shouldn’t be disappointed.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mr Red,

Let everyone know what your review is when you finish reading.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

I just ordered a copy of “HOW THINGS WORK, VOL I – IV”. Itching to get my hands on it. Written in 1970, in Germany, it eventually got translated and has been available in the US for some time. Though it is a bit dated, the engineering and mechanics are dead-nuts on. It’s not some colorful kiddie book. It explains everything from the basics of steam engines to how insulin is made (requires one laboratory and one live sheep per month). I don’t think you’ll be able to build a Cray supercomputer with it, but then, if you’re rebuilding after SHTF, you’re not going to need a Cray anyways… not for a long time, anyway.

Good find Mr. Red. I shall hunt down a copy of that at my earliest convenience… mucho thanko’s…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

An excellent book I would highly recommend!.. (and I’m a harsh reviewer IMHO)

Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4

I have also just about finished reading this book.
    It is not bad; interesting and easy to read and could be mined for practical information.
    This said for somethign purporting to contain the knowledge touted in the title, far too much of the book was spent talking around the topics in repetitive and general ways, rather than giving more specifics and processes that would make it a better book.

Certainly interesting to read, but by a long stretch not the only book you will need.
    8/10 for interesting and though provoking read, 4-5/10 for Practical use.

I would say that the reference lists provided at the end of the book are worthwhile and do add to it’s value.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I will check it out. Im curious how helpful the advice is. Its a bold claim for a 352 page book.

I think downloading Wikipedia for offline use is one of the best things one can do to have a great resource for information. Then of course many practical farming, engineering and handcraft manuals can be helpful too.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

Any studies on how “trustworthy” Wikipedia is?  Personally, I’m not totally convinced, considering I found I could go on there and make any changes I wanted.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

bushrat, you are right that it is not always trustworthy because of that. Anyone can add there changes and some info is not right.

Profile photo of Vadim
    Vadim
    Survivalist
    member3

It exists as a “free” 10 hour audiobook elsewhere (cannot provide link due to local regulations, sorry). Not hard to find. Otherwise – PM me.

Profile photo of Anselm
    Anselm
    Survivalist
    member6

A gem of a book is “The World Ends in Hickory Hollow” by Ardath Mayhar. THAT is how to rebuild! And this woman had the brilliance to write it in the 1980’s, when things were not nearly so bad …

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

freedom, my experience with Wiki is just as you relate. The “information” comes from unknown and often unreliable sources so while it may be interesting, I would never rely on it for my survival as the information does not come from a source in which I am willing to place my trust.

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ghost Prime, I think it was Jay that put a Wiki link, not me. I do not use it much. You are right that the sources are not good at all.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.