Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dmarie
    dmarie
    Survivalist
    member2

U.S. ARMY SURVIVAL MANUAL FM 21-76 ISBN # 1-56619-022-3
    Some topics covered in this book; Treat insect and snake bites, make a rabbit stick, start a fire with bow and drill, treat insect and snake bites, procure water in nearly any environment, and so on.

The Almanac of Rural Living by Harvey C. Neese ISBN # 0-688-03411-X
    Covers these subjects; Agronomy, Horticulture, Pesticides, Animal Husbandry, Vetinary Medicine, Fish Raising, Home Industries, Self Help Engineering, Health, Math Knots and Time. Has lots of pictures and diagrams.

I like to understand what is happening and why. Peter D. Schiff has written the best book on this subject titled AMERICA’S COMING BANKRUPTCY THE REAL CRASH HOW TO SAVE YOURSELF AND YOUR COUNTRY. I have just started this book and have found it to be very informative on what is actually going on. This is not a survival manual although he does make some suggestions. Its more what went wrong and why.

TABER’S CYCLOPEDIC MEDICAL DICTIONARY 8th Edition Library of Congress Catalog Card No. 58-9211 It was because of this dictionary that I brought my oldest daughter to the emergency room. She had 7 of the 10 symptoms listed for appendicitis and was in emergency surgery with in five hours. Later editions are not as descriptive.

THE HERB BOOK, THE COMPLETE AND AUTHORITATIVE GUIDE TO MORE THAN 500 HERBS, by John Lust ISBN # 0-553-26770-1 Many of our spices that we keep in our kitchen have medicinal value. This book about covers it all. One section even has symptoms and which herb will help that specific problem.

I have many more books but the list above have been the most useful to have on hand.

dmarie

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Thanks for the list dmarie. I don’t have a few of those will check them out! Appreciate your sharing.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Going to have to check those out when I get a chance, sounds like some great resources to have on hand.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Omg you have that book!! THE HERB BOOK, THE COMPLETE AND AUTHORITATIVE GUIDE TO MORE THAN 500 HERBS. Its a damn good book… mine was destroyed, and I could never think on its name after to find it again. You just made this ladies day a bit brighter. I am going shopping for this book again!!

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Knowledge about survival cannot be taken away from you.
    To read, to learn and then go out and see if you can do it.
    Identify the grass seeds you can make porridge from. Try to gather enough and eat it !
    Service your own vehicle. Google and You Tube might not be available

I think to survive in the long run you might appreciate few book on different subjects.

• Staying Alive – A South African Survival Handbook – Ron Reid-Daly (Selous Scouts)
    • People Plants: A Guide to Useful Plants of Southern Africa – Ben- Erik van Wyk
    • Poisonous Plants of Southern Africa – Ben – Erik van Wyk
    • Dare to Prepare – Deyo
    • Vehicle Manuel 4×4
    • Medical Book
    • Veterinary Book for farm animals
    • Map Book
    • SAS Survival Guide (Pocket Size)

These books could keep you company at your bug out location
    (helpful in our side of the world )

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6
    • Bushcraft by Ray Mears
    • Survival Advantage by Andrew Lane
    • Participating in Nature by Thomas Elpel
    • Bushcraft by Mors Kochanski
    • Deep Survival by Lawrence Gonzales
    • Mountaincraft and Leadership by Eric Langmuir
    • Facing Violence by Rory Miller
    • ANY articles/books by Massad F. Ayoob
    Profile photo of Kiwi25
    Kiwi25
    Survivalist
    member3

I have an early edition of Holly Deyo’s book and I think it is a good book for starters. Lots of info.
    I also recommend The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery. ” an old fashioned recipe book” . Because it is old fashioned it applies to a post SHTF environment. It is more a book for the longer term once the chaos has settled. You will suddenly find that you need to know how to “homestead”.. and this book is full of useful info.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The Foxfire series,
    Camping and Woodcraft, by Horace Kephart,
    Surviving the Economic Collapse by Fernando Aguirre (FerFAL),
    There were several books on foraging written by Euell Gibbons some 40 years sgo, still worth a look.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

@Gypsy

Omg you have that book!! THE HERB BOOK, THE COMPLETE AND AUTHORITATIVE GUIDE TO MORE THAN 500 HERBS. Its a damn good book… mine was destroyed, and I could never think on its name after to find it again. You just made this ladies day a bit brighter. I am going shopping for this book again!!

If you liked this also check out Medical Herbalism: The Science Principles and Practices Of Herbal Medicine. Great book to have!

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlybird,
    Piggybacking on your book recommendation. Excellent choice on the Foxfire series.

The Foxfire Books: Hog Dressing, Log Cabin Building, Mountain Crafts and Foods, Planting by the Signs, Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing, Moonshining, and Other Affairs of Plain Living Paperback
    by Eliot Wigginton 

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

A reader, I believe a library will be very important when SHTF. Years ago I began collecting all manner of gardening, farming and live off the land books. Then about 10 years ago I started collecting history and world history books. Then it went on from there. I have now quite a library of many different sorts of books.If you can’t access the internet or use your reader books will be in big demand and be very helpful.Homeschooling books I think would be popular. I urge everyone to collect books. I figure even if something happens to me, someone will have a lot of knowledge and history of our world at hand and benefit from it someday.

Years ago when in early teens I remember seeing some movie, can’t remember name, where these people were the only survivors and lived very basic in the woods. But, they each had memorized a book – and the others would come to listen to them speak the story. The parents then had their children ‘learn’ the books from them. Never forgot that.

Henley’s Formulas was the first book I got. Tells you how to make/mix all kinds of useful stuff.

Profile photo of Edheler
    Edheler
    Survivalist
    rreviwer
    Profile photo of Kiwi25
    Kiwi25
    Survivalist
    member3

I’m with you Tweva… I have a large and growing book collection. A lot on practical subjects.. but many books that I think I or others might find entertaining post SHTF. No TV, no news, no internet. Settle down with a good book. People who are used to lots of stimulation.. go crazy without some kind of mind entertainment.
    Most of the books are second hand bought for a few dollars. A few I buy on ebay type sites.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Thanks for all the great recommendations – I have a few of them.  Here’s a couple that I hand out to friends that I have conversations with that lead me to believe they may need a bit of a further push toward becoming preppers.

Patriots – John Wesley Rawles

299 Days: The Preparation – Glen Tate (followed by the rest of the series)

Both are fictional stories about families that prepare and then experience a societal collapse.  I read them with a pad and pencil nearby for notes!

Lastly, here’s a link to Abe’s Books – by far the cheapest site I’ve found for used books.  Search both author and title as some books are input differently and don’t show up for a page or two.  I’ve purchased the SAS Pocket book and others for way less than $10 each and cheap media mail shipping and the site lists from the cheapest first!  It links to really cheap sources like Goodwill and such – way cheaper than Ebay.

http://www.abebooks.com/

Good Luck – K

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Edheler, Boy Scout Fieldbook is a much better choice, this coming from a former Scoutmaster and current Committee Member for the Troop.

Also, DC Beard literally wrote a number of the early Scout books,

http://www.inquiry.net/traditional/beard/index.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.