Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74, I have posted this before that if there is a large SHTF the government will take over the farmland production. Food is control, every country that has had a large SHTF time takes control of all food production from the farms. Yes this may make the farmers fight or leave there farms and not produce product but they do not care! They only care about them self’s so they can feed the military and government officials. The people can go hungry so they can control them with the minimal amount of food and water. Many in the cities will bend over for food and water so the government will be very happy with that total control.

Yes there will be civil unrest all over but like I said they do not care as long as they have food for them self’s.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

74, based on your comment about your county’s emergency plan, I went looking for mine but didn’t find anything substantive. They apparently have done many table top exercises and had many meetings of the pertinent emergency response folks from different communities and agencies, and there is an active CERT program but I’m not finding a comprehensive plan. Also, it seems that for the most part they have planned for smaller scale localized events, not a national level SHTF scenario. I did find a booklet from the State advising we all have 3 days worth of food & water etc, so clearly the State suffers from a failure of imagination too.

Back when I lived in Western, MA and was involved in my Town’s pandemic flu and emergency response planning, some of the folks were very aware of what some of the possibilities were. However, we had to walk a very fine line because the State & Federal Emergency Mgt folks that we had to deal with in exchange for getting flu & pneumonia vaccines that we dispensed for free each year as part of our training, and funding for associated supplies very much had a script that we had to follow. One year we had people from the State, FEMA, and the CDC observe our doing a flu clinic, and then critique us afterwards. The manner in which we conducted the clinic was nonsensical from a public health perspective and we had already discussed how we’d dispense vaccines in a real life serious situation, but we kept our mouths shut and followed the script because we wanted to stay on the good list for when the day comes that there is only limited vaccine available. It was the same thing when we did a table top exercise under their observation. I leaned over to the woman in charge of our group and said this is crazy, we’d never do it this way. She said I’m right we won’t do it this way but keep my mouth shut and just go along with what they’re saying. Much of the State & Federal focus is on COG (Continuity of Govt) more than it is on actual public health.

As an aside, my Town subsequently started dispensing vaccines in drive through clinics. It was a novel idea and the State went along with it, and then decided they liked it. People don’t leave their cars which is far safer than having infected people standing in line with non-infected people. Most people get through the entire process in 5 -8 minutes. We do about 600 people in just a couple hours. We set up in a corporate parking lot and have separate lanes for vehicles with little kids being they take longer than vehicles with just adults. We also have the local police there every time so as to get the public used to having the police be part of these events should the day come that we’ve got a real emergency and a lot of stressed out people. I still go down each year to volunteer for this.

A county that has its act together is Nez Perce, Idaho. The guy in charge, Melvin Johnson, is glad to share the work that they have done and answer questions. I had some correspondence with him a couple years ago.

http://www.co.nezperce.id.us/Departments/EmergencyManagement/HazardMitigationPlanUpdate.aspx

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

A follow up question here on CERT. Are any of your folks part of the CERT program? Is it worth it? My county has a CERT training for new volunteers coming up in January and I am thinking of doing it . Becoming part of the group will allow me to get to know some good folks too I think. Plus I have always been a community volunteer in various capacities my entire adult life pretty much. Small town New England is more or less run by volunteers. It is just part of the culture.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I am part of a CERT program in this rural county in Texas. Like a bunch of things CERT is what you make it. I am also a member of MRC (Medical Reserve Corp) and Storm Spotter program. Being at the bottom of “Tornado Alley” things get rolled all into one bag at times. Our county Emergency Management Coordinator created an EMP that is being used as a blueprint by other rural counties.
    I agree about having to march to the tune of the National Drummer. FEMA is holding the purse strings.
    Robin

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks Robin, I think I will sign up for the January training.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

:) now on Lights Out page 146 To write a book you need to do a lot of research. And one should be good with words to tell a story. I’m not going to criticize the book, not my style. Will read some more and then maybe comment on some survival stuff.

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

sledjockey, personally I thought Lights Out was outstanding. Part of the reason was I lived in San Antonio for 20 years so I recognized a lot of the locations he described. That really caused me to think as I could relate to the situation personally.
    I also thought the way he developed Jon into the main bad guy was a warning to us all, for we really don’t know how people will act when the SHTF. Not only that, but we really don’t even “know” the people we think we know all that well.

My advice is to keep reading as i think you will enjoy it.

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I did finish it and found some interesting parts to the read. I do find it interesting how many books I read that push the idea that a community is better than operating in a singular manner. Not debating the thought process one way or another, but when I see some common thread being pushed as almost a “common practice” I tend to rebel a bit. Just my genetic coding, I guess……

It was a easy, mindless read and I am glad that I finished it. Again, like I mentioned, there were some interesting parts and it did trigger a few moments where I contemplated their methods and tactics.

I am on to Patriot now…. Although I have yet to start it. I just finished the combined letters of John and Abigail Adams.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sledjockey,
    I think in the real world there will be pleanty of people floating around on a singular basis. I see it as a hide, run & hide existance though for most parts of the country. Definitely easier for one person to evade detection than a group.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.