Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of etxgranny
    etxgranny
    Survivalist
    member2

“Boil all water until Tuesday”
    This is what the sign said at the entrance to the lake Friday. When we have guest we invite them to our cabin on the lake….OPSEC you know! It is on a community water line. These are friends from out of town, those that do not prep or preppers we are vetting for the group. Well folks I believe we have new converts. Having to boil all the water for cleaning, bathing and of course drinking, wore most out in a few hours. Additionally I was not about to swim in the lake as it also was tainted. Honestly it would have been my choice to go home rather than listen to the whining of the unprepared.
    They headed to our local grocery stores of ice and water only to find the shelves empty of both. I later found out the entire lake area was boiling water and not just the 700 residents of our little sub-division. I cannot count the times I saw them go to the faucet for water only to recoil from the sign I had posted over the sinks. These are people that think preparedness is not for them and the government will provide for them.
    After a day of this our guest began to say they were just going home where there was plenty of running water. I of course had water 12 – 55 gallon barrels stored in the shed outside. Inside I have 2- 30 gallon barrels, 8 aqua-tainers and 12 flats of bottled water but I was not going to make it easy on them. I did not put out our filtering setup either. On top of everything else the heat from constantly boiling water made the cabin hot. When talk of leaving became the topic I asked them what they would do if the sign were at their home.
    01. Go to a hotel
    02. Go visit out of state
    03. Go to a shelter
    04. Boil water until I was assured water was safe…my convert!

I sent them home with print outs on how to purify water and how much they would need in an emergency!
    What would you do and are you ready?

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I am in the process of making charcoal for filtration. There is a 49 acre lake and a river both within 100 yards of my cabin. I am building a filter system of sand, charcoal and coffee filters. There is a rain catchment system but that is for watering the veggies as it has alga. I have two 5 gallon water containers liked used in camping. This will get things started while treating lake/river water. Like Selco I need my coffee and waiting to purify water would drive me nuts!
    Robin

etxgranny
    Survivalist
    member2

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Robin wrote:</div>I am in the process of making charcoal for filtration. There is a 49 acre lake and a river both within 100 yards of my cabin. I am building a filter system of sand, charcoal and coffee filters. There is a rain catchment system but that is for watering the veggies as it has alga. I have two 5 gallon water containers liked used in camping. This will get things started while treating lake/river water. Like Selco I need my coffee and waiting to purify water would drive me nuts!<br>
    Robin

Thanks Robin! It all sounds great. Our homestead has well water and many of the features you mentioned. The lake house is on a community water supply. When our company left we went home too LOL it was easier. I don’t take non- members to our home place because I have members who live on the property full time…that is why I use the lake to keep out prying eyes.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Very Cool arrangement, Granny ;)

You sound like another lady I know online.
    You have just expanded my mind to a large degree…

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

etxgranny
    Survivalist
    member2

Thanks undeRGRon! When you put any of my post to use please share your success or outcome…You have me curious lol!

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Excellent post! It is always quite the experience to watch the level of confusion and disruption that the unprepared display when suddenly they don’t have water coming out of the taps.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

A fun read on the subject is “Lights Out.” Started off as a WIKI style story and morph into a full blown book but was not in print. Now it is in print. Commercialized but still good read. EMP kills all electricity in Texas and the Powers That Be use water availability to herd people around.
    Robin

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

You are a sharp one etxgranny! What a great way to feel folks out. Most people just will never get it.

We have a Simple Pump handpump on our well so as to ensure an endless supply of clean water that doesn’t need filtering, though I do have a Berkey filter with extra replacement cartridges, a couple other water filters, lots of bottled water, and about 8 brand new camping water jugs (6 gallons each), plus I must have 100 empty gallon water jugs that I have saved for possible refilling from the handpump some day if needed. We’re on septic and I figured I can keep the toilets operational using water from my pond. If perchance water did need to be boiled I have various options in place towards that objective.

etxgranny
    Survivalist
    member2

Thanks Robin I will check the book out!!

Thanks Mountain Biker! Glad to know you are prepared with your water. It never hurts to have many options of procuring.and purifying water. granny

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

my little “community” has approximately 30+ gallons in used but clean distilled water jugs, I have a Berkey (4 elements) 2 big unused BPA free plastic water containers, a well and ability to filter or pre-filter large volumes of water. What is the best way to filter caught rain water? I’m thinking a cloth pre-filter and then something like Robin listed above, but is there a blueprint for one? I’d like to see a barrel sized setup actually :D

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

etxgranny
    Survivalist
    member2

The is link is for filtering rainwater. Hope they help!

http://www.theprepperjournal.com/2013/07/11/100-year-old-way-to-filter-rainwater-in-a-barrel/

We have a system similar to this one below for our 55 gallon barrels (Plans Included) Be sure to use water safe hoses.

http://www.iwillprepare.com/Water_files/Water_Water_Barrel_Stands.htm

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

thanks, Granny!

Excellent resource

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

“Earthstraw” is a set-up to use on wells. It is a hand operated pump. Has anyone used this product?
    Thanks
    Robin

http://earthstraw.com/

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I haven’t seen one but it looks to be a great prep item to have. Getting clean water from a well that doesn’t need to be filtered is vastly better than having to filter or boil water from other sources. I have a Simple Pump installed on my well. http://www.simplepump.com/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.