Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I think its just bad what he makes survival look like when there is much more to it. I would like to keep survival real. Everything else, if taken seriously, is in the best case misleading and in the worst case outright dangerous.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Jay wrote:</div>I think its just bad what he makes survival look like when there is much more to it. I would like to keep survival real. Everything else, if taken seriously, is in the best case misleading and in the worst case outright dangerous.

Regardless of anything else, it’s still TV.
    There’s only so much realism that one can inject without people changing the channel.
    Or the lawyers screaming.

Survival is often boring, and occasionally funny. But hardly TV worthy, hence his “spicing it up”.
    One recent event comes to mind, a lady got stuck in a ditch during a blizzard.
    She had just been shopping so had plenty of food and was able to thaw snow for water.
    She lit a candle for warmth as well as having her heavy winter coat.
    She was finally found three days later because she had hung her bright pink bra from the radio antenna and
    it was spotted by a passing snow plow.
    She basically worked on her Ipad for three days to stave off boredom.

Realistic? Who wants to watch some idiot scrounging for grubs and tubers for 6 hours?
    Trying to make a friction fire for the two after that?
    There’s a fine line between entertainment and painful.

Grylls puts out some information that can be useful, potentially saving lives.
    Some of it’s highly contrived for TV, but that’s expected also.
    Added ‘danger and drama’ is the name of the game.

Besides, who’d watch the ‘survival’ shows if someone weren’t eating bugs, drinking urine or something just as asinine.

Actually one of the things I point out to my Scouts now is something from Les Stroud, basically he says drink the water, worry about the bugs later. And realistically, he’s right. Currently few people go longer than three days without being found, and Giardia and other bugs take longer than that to get to you. However you can easily die from dehydration well within three days. Drink the water, get the pills later.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Yes, maybe we simply keep forgetting fact that it is TV. They must “spice it up” as you said. Still, it is somehow wrong.
    And I do not question his real skills and “toughness” but things that he shows as a “real survival” are just way to weird for real life.

There are better shows there.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Whirlibird, I understand what you say and agree. But the unnecessary climbing and other “stuntman” actions he sometimes does instead of looking for alternatives is what I really dislike. But at least the show brought some more awareness to survival in general which is probably a good thing.

So once times get even harder, people might remember that we humans once were able to live self sufficient.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I agree that his climbing and such are not “survival” but are for show.
    Does it take from the program? Perhaps, but if it keeps someone’s attention long enough for them to remember one little tidbit that saves their life? Maybe it was worth it.

As I said, I prefer Ray Mears and Les Stroud, both are much more reality based and avoid much of the docu-drama that so infects TV, at least as much as possible.

“Pure Survival” is not fun, not pretty and not gonna get good ratings.
    Much like most hunting shows condense 3-4 days of hunting into a 30 minute clip.
    Eliminate the boredom, get more viewers and sponsors.

I used to mind the “antics” a lot more, then I started working with Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, I came to realize that the attention must be caught and held to teach. In this case, he has to go to some great lengths to do so.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Whirlibird, I agree on the “docu-dramas.” Laughed my ass off when I watched “Naked and Afraid” by mistake one night. You bet there is a medic to take care of the filming crew and the “actors” if needed!

Robin

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

You know what I would pay good money to see?

Some guy lost at sea or something with no water to drink… BUT! He can give himself a saltwater enema and absorb water that way and stay alive.

Could you all imagine that segment?

Bear Grylls: “Right. Now, I’ve got no water to drink and I’ve already drank my own piss and I’m bordering on dehydration, so… it’s hard to speak because my tongue is swollen…. so, what I am going to do is rig up a field-expedient saltwater enema to stay alive… “

I would pay real money to watch that! BAHH-HAHAHAH!!!

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Actually Malgus they did do that on an episode of Dual Survival. You know the husband and wife survival show.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

matt,

I did not know that as I do not watch that show very much… I’ve seen it… twice, I think? You can spare me the gory details, thanks… :) It would be nice to know how to field-expedient something like that but then, part of me is like “You really want to go into that now?”

Maybe later… going back to making cigarettes..

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Lol yeah I hear ya. They had a tarp up so all you could see was the funny expresions on the husbands face when the wife stuck it to him.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Some things from real survival would not be popular for showing on the TV, simply it is not “nice” to be seen.

There are things to be learned from survival shows of course, but whole concept of the shows is to be “liked”, or it is meant for the people to think “oh it is cool” ,while on the other side real survival is mostly not cool, and there is no too much things to “like” there.

It is TV.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Right now the absolute top position on bullshit mountain is probably taken by Naked & Afraid.

Some of the guys also call themselves “survival instructors” or “experts”. Not so cool! Any of you saw the show?

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I’ve watched it once. I think it is a bunch of hippies who want to play Tarzan and Jane and be on TV.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Its so ridiculous the entertainment factor is rather high again!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.