Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Nothing new, but funny nevertheless :)

A former SAS soldier became embroiled in the television faking row yesterday after it was revealed that he stayed in hotels during a series about surviving unaided in the “hellholes of the world”.

When Bear Grylls drink elephant piss, others just drink… water, because its right there. Its just not that dramatic.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Cant stand that guy , Barnum and Bailey , I used to like Less Straud until he sold out . Then there is dumbass Dave CanterBury . Between the propaganda and just stupid **** , are some of the reasons I stopped watching American TV all together .

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Between the propaganda and just stupid **** , are some of the reasons I stopped watching American TV all together .

Absolutely agree. We don’t have a TV since a couple of years. No need for this bs. I still like Les Stroud though. At least he doesn’t show ridiculous and dangerous stuff that makes little to no sense.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Yes, it can be cold outside man, much more comfortable in hotel :)
    It is kinda annoying why he is almost always in hurry in every episode, in real life he would probably get killed because that before end of the serial.

TV can be very evil thing if you let it, if you being sucked in all that mainstream bs.

There is some good stuff that can be find around, for example i like richard proenneke.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

There is an outdoor writer in the US, who even dared to write a widely-read book on the ethics of hunting. While he was in university some years ago, he rented an apartment from my parents.  He avoided going to serve in Vietnam due to “injured ankles” from surfboarding (according to his attorney) yet he regularly skied cross-country while with us…  He had a writing contract with Sports Afield, and did an article on winter camping during that time.  His partner sheepishly admitted to us, after they returned from experiencing the “adventure” to write about it, that they had stayed most of the time in a warm, nearby farmhouse.  Given his lack of integrity in so many aspects while I was acquainted with him, I scoff at his “ethics”…  And look at all “survival” articles, videos, and TV episodes with a jaundiced eye.  Yes, I’m cynical.

Most real people we knew in Alaska seldom opened their mouths about their adventures.  Took it in stride as part of life in the wilderness…   After they knew you for a few years, they would quietly offer advice if they thought you were about to die from a foolish plan.  Only then.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Bear was fun for entertainment purposes and that was it. I can understand some of the tactics if you have a platoon chasing you behind enemy lines but for a standard survival situation a lot of his tactics would get you killed. Swimming across a river when it is 10 degrees out, come on really.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Bear Grylls burned up any “survivalist” capital he had when he started staying in hotels at night when he was supposed to be making a snow cave or whatever…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

As a brit, I have many a thought on this, but will wait for the thread to develop before I say anything….

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Hey Toby,

Don’t mistake this post for me backpedaling.

I have no doubt that Bear has professional chops as an SAS trooper. He’s done some impressive ****. But the show that I saw here in the US, dude was being portrayed as really doing the survival thing, and I bought off on it… until I saw him allegedly going down some rapids without a boat or any floatation device… but if you looked closely, he clearly had a life vest on under his shirt… yeah, that was sort of phoney-baloney…

Then out comes the episode where he’s “roughing it” in the Alps… they showed him digging a snow cave, explaining how one is supposed to be built, etc… next scene, you see him popping his head out of the snow, saying that they got some snow during the night. The inference is that he spent the night in the snow cave and had to dig his way out. Comes out later that at the bottom of the hill where they were filming the “snow shelter” segment, there was an Alpine Inn, where Bear & Co. spent the night warm and cozy…

I don’t have a problem so long as folks are honest and genuine… I do have a problem when someone tries to blow smoke up my arse (means, trying to fool someone, etc).. and it doesn’t have anything to do with him being British. Phonys come in all flavors…

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

What is the old saying ? ” dont believe anything you hear , and only half of what you see “

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Maglus , I hear ya , there is a Russian guy that was a Spetsnaz , Sonny Puzikas , that guy has been on some of the cheesy shows like ultimate warrior challenge and such , those shows were a joke as you know , but I have also seen some of his systema seminars , totally different guy . THing is , and he admits it , he is getting older and some things that Spetsnaz does , is very difficult for him now or he can no longer do , but at least thats real .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

While Grylls antics were and are often comedic, from the standpoint of what can get you killed the fastest, especially if you don’t have a camera crew and medics handy, I found his shows to be amusing at the least.

Realistic? Hardly, but then it’s television, not reality.
    The only way something like this could be ‘real’ is for it to be solo and broadcast live, and that would have great periods of boredom between action.

So he likes to spend his nights in hotels rather than on the cold hard ground? So do I.
    They never said he was stupid, they just never said where he was spending his off camera time.
    As to inferring that he spent nights in various places, there isn’t a show that doesn’t set up shots, even Stroud does it, he just shows the second camera angles so one understands the why of the situation.

Les Stroud is probably the most ‘realistic’, and even he contrives some of the situations, to make it more viewable.
    He just doesn’t stay the night at a holiday inn while filming.

Of all the “survival experts” out there, Ray Mears and Stroud are the ones I prefer to listen to or read.
    Cody Lundin, the bush hippie in his element not on tv is also worth a few minutes of time.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Grylls, being a SAS type, is basically a SF trooper…

The difference between Rangers and SF was put to me this way:

Two groups of soldiers were in a bar drinking beer. Rangers and SF. An orderly runs in and says that there will be a war tomorrow at 6 am in Atlanta.

The Rangers don’t even finish their beer. They get up, ruck up and start marching to Atlanta.
    The SF guys keep on drinking till 3am, then they grab their ****, go steal a truck and then drive to Atlanta.

When you view Grylls’s actions through this lens, it makes sense. You’re shooting a survival show. You’ve showed the rubes at home how to dig a snow shelter (a good one, too) and it’s getting dark. It’s cold. There’s a perfectly good Inn 300 yards down the hill from us and you’ve got a pocket-full of Euros… why not hit the rack, get up early, have breakfast served to you by a beautiful blonde Alpenfrau, grab some coffee and then go back to shooting your show?

Yeah, I get it. I just don’t like being sold a bill of goods. It was portrayed that dude spent the night in the snow shelter he built… but if they would have turned the cameras 180 degrees the other way and showed the Inn they stayed at, it would have destroyed the spell of “suspension of disbelief”… and wouldn’t have made for a good show. But now that they portrayed it one way, and the truth is completely different, it has sort of discredited the guy… or at least the producers.

Dig a snow cave or stay at a warm, toasty Inn with blonde Alpenfraus, food and hot coffee? Maybe some schnapps? Yeah.. that’s a pretty easy choice to make.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Tolik, have a look at a four year old Systema student breathing and taking strikes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRVNmYoexCQ

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.